Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are 1 in 5 children in Ireland overweight?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I'd really like to know when given you're child cheap, processed, deep fried food was considered a "treat".

This is the whole problem in my opinion. Healthy food=boring, junk=treat.

Children's menus in restaurants are usually fish fingers, chicken nuggets, chips, etc. We really need to break this link and start thinking of our kids' diet as we would of our own.

It depends on where you go, waggamama's have a good healthy kids choices and a lot of Italian restaurants do kid sized portions of pasta dishes or if your kids like sushi like mine do that is also an option as you can order various plates.

Unfortunately how certain fast food places are marketed at children they will
    ask to go there, all you can hope to do is educate them and their palette so that they make better choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Oniontops

I think Ian...is being ganged up on here. He/She may have made their points quite bluntly but there is alot of truth to what they are saying. So i don't think it's fair that they are being attacked like some of the previous posters have done.

Parents are responsible for what children eat. Children don't have an income so you can't accuse them of buying their own junk food. As for bringing them for treats to fast food outlets, no matter how expensive they are, it's not setting a good example and it's unhealthy. If you knew how that stuff was produced you wouldn't eat it.

Unfortunaltely you only have to look at the parents sometimes and their waistlines to see why their children are the way they are. It's fact and often people don't like to admit it. Alot of kids are hyperactive due to what they are being fed as well.

Also, people's definition of homecooked food can be very different. The only food you can regard as homecooked in my book is fresh food. Also people consume alot of fizzy drinks during the week like coke for example which is very bad for you.

People need to consider what they are putting into their own mouths and their childrens' mouths. Alot of illnesses are caused in later life by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Letting a child eat crap occasionally is not child abuse. But systematically feeding them crap, driving them distances that they can easily walk and giving them bad nutritional habits is not good parenting.

Like Thaedydal said, fast food joints (and crap in general) are marketed at kids. More than likely, a percentage of their friends will go. Imposing a draconian, blanket ban on fast food is impractical, and could be counter-productive. Occasional trips to a burger bar are fine. After that, it is up to the parents to give children good food habits.

Also: why all the emphasis on food? How many of the people fulminating about fast food drive their kids everywhere? How many of them kick a ball or go cycling with their kids? Sedentary lifestyles are as much to blame as food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Oniontops its all very well saying don't bring your kids to fast food joints but you cannot ban anything from your child's life without it becoming an issue and making it all the more appealing to the child. So as i already said, moderation is the key, along with starting your child off in life with a love of 'good' food and a healthy attitude to eating so that they will make better choices when they're older. Since he started solids I've made all of his food from scratch so i know exactly what he's eating and i know its the best i can do for him, but i'm not going to deprive him of a few chips now and then.. The only thing i have not given him is coke but i have given him a taste of anything in my glass be it wine, 7up, juices, tea, IF he asks me for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Weight and excess weight is the product of a simple equation.
    Energy consumed - energy expended.
    Now due to crazy Health and safety regulations some schools have banned running in the playground, this is absolute insanity and is a byproduct of our nanny-state/insurance industry.
    How are kids expected to burn off energy if they cannot run?
    The natural mode for most kids is to run everywhere and if they cannot do this at school, are picked up after school by a parent or schoolbus and do not use their energy up then the result if coupled with a calorific excess will be weight gain.
    This country has to look at how it operates with regard to childhood development in a serious manner, however looking at the way in which the schools and elderly have been targeted this is hardly top of the politicians agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    Letting a child eat crap occasionally is not child abuse. But systematically feeding them crap, driving them distances that they can easily walk and giving them bad nutritional habits is not good parenting.
    Yep. It's ludicrous to say giving children a KFC is "child abuse" - as long as it's only an occasional treat, and as long as the portions aren't super-large. There's no need for those huge "bucket" things and jumbo-sized Cokes etc. A small or medium sized (for an older child) meal is enough.
    Regular feeding of junkfood to a child (as in, several times a week) is child abuse imo - not child abuse with malicious/cruel intent, but negligence, putting the child's health/life at risk, ruining the child's appearance and possibly affecting their body image/confidence extremely negatively, as well as making them targets for bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

.....but i have given him a taste of anything in my glass be it wine, 7up, juices, tea, IF he asks me for some.

:eek: CHILD ABUSE!!!!!

:D

Hey...I let my two 1 year olds watch a baby einstein dvd every night for about 20 mins to calm them down before bedtime while we bath them in turns. Is that also child abuse as tv is bad for you?

They constantly are out in public with one or no socks on (they ALWAYS pull them off and eat them or throw them at each other)..is that child abuse?

Referring to everything you dont agree with as child abuse only lessens the impact of actual child abuse claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

RosieJoe wrote: »
    None of your business if the kids are overweight either!

It is if I have to pay for their diabetes in the future.
    Mine arn't fat either for that matter. But ... do you really think policing food and making food an issue with children would be the answer.
    Well, yes. You are their parents, you dictate what and when they eat from the moment they are born.
    My mother thought I was a fat child. I grew up thinking of myself as fat - and knowing from my mother that it was a bad bad thing to be. I was on a diet at age 10, still am on one in my mid 40's.... but yea my mother thought having control over what I ate was a good idea.

Just because you have issues with your body doesn't mean it's a bad idea to watch what your children are putting into their mouths.

Annoying OP title and intro. Semi-trollish tbh.

Yeah it was a bit reactionary. I guess I was angry after seeing all these kids on Sunday in Swords walking out of the €2 Euro Shop with bags of sweets then off to McDonalds with their also weighty parents.

What annoys me is that someone will label someone a bad parent simply because a child is overweight. This world has become obsessed with weight, overweight societies are a result of affluence in society. Once money is easily available to the majority, laziness, convenience and indulgence follows, thats the real reason. Hammering people and labelling them bad parents is wrong.

Well...how does a child know what's good and bad to eat? It all tastes good to them, and to us. They will keep eating it if they can keep getting it. It is a bad example from parents, imo.

The amount of children in this country that are 'obese' and 'trundle' is actually very small. Anyone who drops their kids off to playgrounds easily see that the vast majority of kids are normal and fairly healthy looking. A playground is the best guage for this, as you get to see a good range from various backgrounds. Its certainly not the doomed future your suggesting.

Any one who goes to playgrounds are obviously the healthier ones who get out of their houses from time to time to go to places other than Fast Food joints.

But if you are basing your evidence just on what you see then have a look at this article: 1 in 5 children are overwieght or obese in Ireland

I am not trying to be an anti-junk food altogether Nazi, but seriously, if parents aren't to blame for their childs obesity, then who is?

I think everybody is on the same sheet here basically. Nobody likes to see children existing on a diet of fast food or food with no nutritional value.

Again, because everybody seems to ignore this: children need physical exercise otherwise healthy eating is useless. Nobody is addressing the fact that kids are far less physically active now then they were even in the 80s.

I do think some of the more zealous anti-junk food posters sound like they either have no children, or don't spend much time with children. Children will always want to go to places like McDonalds, no matter what their food upbringing is. Their friends will more often or not want to go to. It's pointless to say thats evil and you are never going. You have to allow small amounts of this stuff and then make the better stuff as, if not more, attractive.

I remember (showing my age now) when pot noodles came out, or at least when we were aware of them in the early 80s. Myself and my sister were mad for them. The excitement of noodles.in.a.tub. We had to be held back. My poor mum had to give in the odd time. Otherwise, you just make it forbidden fruit, and there will come a time when the child is old enough to buy stuff behind your back, but will still be a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Of course banning something altogether makes something all the more delicious, I am not saying it is a good idea to do that. I am just saying that it's time (some) parents owned up to the fact that it is their fault that their (young) kids are overweight because they are being overfed on the same junk that they are eating.

http://specialchildren.about.com/b/2007/02/27/is-child-obesity-child-abuse.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1438220.ece

• Advertisement

I think everybody is on the same sheet here basically.
    I don't know - I'm picking up a vibe of "So what if a child gets fat? Don't be superficial, it's what's on the inside that counts" etc in some of the earlier posts.
    I detest bullying of overweight people and obviously I detest how having a little bit of an arse or stomach is tantamount to morbid obesity in some quarters (because of how it looks, nothing to do with health) - however I don't think it's wise to confuse concern about child obesity/overweight with bullying and lack of acceptance of overweight people. I don't think people fully realise how dangerous being significantly overweight is for one's health, well-being - and not just physically, emotionally too. And significantly overweight does not mean morbidly obese either, it means a stone overweight or less...

Well I wouldn't bring them to an overpriced chipper for their meal of the day - of that I am sure.

Good luck in trying to get a small child to concur with your idea of what constitutes a decent meal. Do you suggest dragging them along to the opera instead of a children's film or playground as well?

@ dudess and windsock. I too despair of all the obese kids (and parents) too. I just think the problem is systematic poor nutrition, bad parenting and no exercise. The problem is not the parents who 'enforce' healthy eating and exercise habits, but occasionally allow their children to eat junk.

The problem with some posters is that they are being scathing of these treats from an adult perspective. It's the child that wants the treat and sees it as a treat and this definition exists outside of your home. Personally, I would allow them to have a junk meal every now and then, and then try and replicate the kind of junk meals they want, albeit as healthy versions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

personally, i think that you give mcdonalds and other fast foods to kids as "treats", they will be begin an eating pattern where they think of fast food as being something you eat you are good, as kids get older it changes into i am depressed it will eat some fat

also i think kids are fat becuase no one knows how to cook anymore, if you cant put it in the mircowave, you cant eat it.

Children walk no where anymore. i walked the 2 miles to school hail rain or shine.

kids dont play team sports cos its easier for the parents to buy them a dvd or a new computer game which will keep them quite for a few hours

If you do ever sit in McDonalds and take a look around, most of these fat kids aren't eating happy meals any more, they are eating Supersized Big Mac Meals and sharing a 6 pack of chicken nuggets with their sister!

I'd really like to know when given you're child cheap, processed, deep fried food was considered a "treat".
    Of course it's a treat - it tastes very good and has addictive qualities. Did you not like junkfood as a kid? I presume you'll say you didn't but I'd have my doubts...
    It's not a treat - it's deep-fried ****e.
    Being deep-fried ****e doesn't stop it from being a treat...
    A treat to me is fresh mussels steamed in white wine, a fillet steak, irish stew
    You're a 30-something man. What constitutes a treat for you is of no relevance when what's being discussed here is what children enjoy eating. Giving a kid a treat occasionally like the ones you mentioned... reminds me of the kids in The Simpsons getting oysters at Martin's birthday party.

Not gonna be enjoyed by little kids.

Children walk no where anymore. i walked the 2 miles to school hail rain or shine.

kids dont play team sports cos its easier for the parents to buy them a dvd or a new computer game which will keep them quite for a few hours

This to me is a key point. And a major factor in obesity as well. My kid isn;t at the age yet, but judging by nieces, nephews, friends and neighbours, nobody makes their kid walk anywhere, anymore.

personally, i think that you give mcdonalds and other fast foods to kids as "treats", they will be begin an eating pattern where they think of fast food as being something you eat you are good, as kids get older it changes into i am depressed it will eat some fat

This only applies IF you allow the child to think of this food as something they get because they are being good, if it's a random thing, for no particular reason, there there is no solid reason for a child to make this connection. Saying "because you were so good we'll go to mcdonalds" or "well I was going to buy you an ice cream but you were bold so you're not getting it" would cause the above
    also i think kids are fat becuase no one knows how to cook anymore, if you cant put it in the microwave, you cant eat it.

I don't own a microwave and this is why, it is to stop me buying convenience food - it also means I can't have microwave popcorn though :(

I think Portion sizes are an issue too, for example, if you do go to a restaurant, the kids meals are for under 12's, this means that they are giving the same portion of food to 12 year olds as they are to 4 year olds, then you find the parents saying you have you have to eat it all! One thing I never do is make my daughter eat everything that's on her plate, I tell her to stop when she's full, she loves food and I know that if she stops eating it is because she is full, this may not work with some kids, I just think making a kid eat everything on their plate is bad practice.

Good luck in trying to get a small child to concur with your idea of what constitutes a decent meal. Do you suggest dragging them along to the opera instead of a children's film or playground as well?

It depends on the opera and if the child has been rearing listening to classical music.

Has anyone here heard about or watched Jamie's Minsistry of food on channel 4 ?

A lot of people don't know who or don't take the time to cook and I mean properly cook I would not consider getting premade stuff be it frozen or from M&S and sticking it in the oven as cooking.

Even if people are cutting up fresh fruit and veg they are usually using premade sauces which have a lot of sugar in them in order to taste good.

What is seen in advertising as portions sizes is a lot bigger then that it should be.

There is are whole ranges of kids food, which people buy thinking that they are better for kids due to the garish packaging and don't read to see how much extra sugar there is in a yoghurt aimed at a kid instead of a standard yoghurt.

Also kids are constantly grazing and nibbling and you have to have the right things in the house for them to eat, my two know the can eat what they want from the fruit bowl any time they want other then 30 mins before dinner and I will moved it from it's home no the kitchen counter top so they know when that is.

A lot of people don't have the skills to by fresh meat and fresh veg and to plan the weeks meals or the time to do so, so that the cooking and shopping in done on the day and is rushed and at times takeway or frozen food wins out. Which is fine occasionally but not every night.

All kids activies have also become pretty expensive, from sports to dance classes ect, yes a walk in the park is free and so is going to the play ground but anything else takes time and money, and it seem to be those that have the money don't have the time and those who have the time don't have the money.

Also, some kids go through stages of so called 'puppy fat' when they are about go through a big grown spurt, esp little girls before they start puberty,
    but it seems that for a lot of them the thinking they are fat starts there and haunts them for the rest of their lives which is appalling.

Dudess wrote: »
    You're a 30-something man. What constitutes a treat for you is of no relevance when what's being discussed here is what children enjoy eating. Giving a kid a treat occasionally like the ones you mentioned... reminds me of the kids in The Simpsons getting oysters at Martin's birthday party.

It depends on the kids and how they have been reared and what food they are used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I think Portion sizes are an issue too, for example, if you do go to a restaurant, the kids meals are for under 12's, this means that they are giving the same portion of food to 12 year olds as they are to 4 year olds, then you find the parents saying you have you have to eat it all! One thing I never do is make my daughter eat everything that's on her plate, I tell her to stop when she's full, she loves food and I know that if she stops eating it is because she is full, this may not work with some kids, I just think making a kid eat everything on their plate is bad practice.

Yeah this is a major factor for weight loss in overweight adults too. Stop eating when you are full - I had finish your plate parents (was always a very skinny child bit of a weight issue at the mo) - and I ALWAYS clean my plate unless I'm at the point where I feel sick if I eat another thing.. Telling your kids to stop when they are full is a very responsible and smart way to work it, and should be something everyone tells themselves and their kids :) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

1. Sedentary toys and entertainmnet

2. bad diet

3. Parents being too trusting of kid's brands such as petit filous and other fattenning kids brands and not reading the ingredients. [I was dismayed to find cane sugar as the third ingredient listed on one brand of baby formula.]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why are 1 in 5 children in Ireland overweight?
    Because 1 in 5 of their parents are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

What really gets me is to see babies (about one year old) who are clearly unhealthly over weight. To the point that they cant sit up but roll around on the floor. It really upsets me. If they are that bad at that age ... what hope do they have for the next few years. I had a friend whos DD was soo overweight she couldnt grab her toes like babies do. My friend was feeding her baby jar food and alot of it as well as too much formula (8 bottles daily for a 1 year old). She didnt give a [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] and was just putting food into her mouth to shut her up. She gave a monkies when I said I was going to call the ispcc.

I think (exempting medical conditions) its just down to poor food education and laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What really gets me is to see babies (about one year old) who are clearly unhealthly over weight. To the point that they cant sit up but roll around on the floor. It really upsets me. If they are that bad at that age ... what hope do they have for the next few years. I had a friend whos DD was soo overweight she couldnt grab her toes like babies do. My friend was feeding her baby jar food and alot of it as well as too much formula (8 bottles daily for a 1 year old). She didnt give a [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] and was just putting food into her mouth to shut her up. She gave a monkies when I said I was going to call the ispcc.

I think (exempting medical conditions) its just down to poor food education and laziness.

Christ, when I read that I presumed you had no kids. Until I read your Name and Sig! D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Christ, when I read that I presumed you had no kids. Until I read your Name and Sig! D'oh!
    im confused... what did i say that would make you think i had no kids?

There is a worrying trend in thinking that if you upset a child you are a bad parent and
    that children are to be kept happy at all costs be it spoiling them or feeding them crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

im confused... what did i say that would make you think i had no kids?

Just got that impression from
    She didnt give a cr@p and was just putting food into her mouth to shut her up. She gave a monkies when I said I was going to call the ispcc.

Strange what people (me in this case) can interpret when reading posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Oniontops

Would have to agree with those who mention lack of exercise as a factor as well. It is a combination of both. Good healthy food is hard to come by without expense involved unfortunately. And lot of foods on offer now is loaded with hidden additives, sugars and salts. My over all point is that people need to be more aware of what they are eating themselves and feeding their children. You can raise your children to have a healty attidude to food but also discourage them from eating rubbish and it can be done. I have done it with my seven year old. She now questions what she eats because i have taught her how foods are made, how processed food is made etc...People don't question enough what they eat. And it will come back to bite people in years to come. Obese children are only the start of a breakdown in health of our society.

Also i need to reiterate that what you eat, your child will eat. After all they don't hold the purse strings in the house, do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If my kid was fat I'd never say it to his face but he would find that over the next few months, we ended up walking places more often and taking the long route that involved a steep uphill climb and that the amount of junk food let into the house would diminish. If it came to it the TV might magically break as well.

Advertisement