Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on accident

Options
  • 20-10-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,i was involved in a collision with a moped.The moped was on my side of road over the white lines.I was just about to pull off when he hit my car.I have two witnesses who claim he was at fault.However he is saying it was my fault.No word yet from either insurance company.This seems to be dragging out.Can anyone give me advice.:mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

liz72 wrote: »
    Hi all,i was involved in a collision with a moped.The moped was on my side of road over the white lines.I was just about to pull off when he hit my car.I have two witnesses who claim he was at fault.However he is saying it was my fault.No word yet from either insurance company.This seems to be dragging out.Can anyone give me advice.:mad:

when your moving from a stationary or parked position, you must give right of way to all traffic already moving on the road iirc

were you parked in a spot?
    were you stopped in traffic?

any other details.
    also how far was the moped over the white lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 liz72

kceire wrote: »
    when your moving from a stationary or parked position, you must give right of way to all traffic already moving on the road iirc

were you parked in a spot?
    were you stopped in traffic?

any other details.
    also how far was the moped over the white lines?
    I had come out of a turn and the traffic was stopped right and left to let me out.I was out on to my side of road about to pull off when he came behind the car to my right over white box and hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you were not moving, it's his fault.

If you were moving, it's probably still his fault.

When I was taught to ride a scooter, my instructor warned against use of the "wrong side". He said "if you have an accident, you'll need to give a bloody good reason why you were there, and will be presumed at fault".

In this case, there probably no good reason, other than "wanted to get home quickly".

Lumen wrote: »
    If you were not moving, it's his fault.

If you were moving, it's probably still his fault.

When I was taught to ride a scooter, my instructor warned against use of the "wrong side". He said "if you have an accident, you'll need to give a bloody good reason why you were there, and will be presumed at fault".

In this case, there probably no good reason, other than "wanted to get home quickly".
    Yeah hopefully it goes in my favour just concerned about this right of way theory.Also he is claiming me for injuries,but no ambulance was called he was standing up and was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had come out of a turn and the traffic was stopped right and left to let me out.I was out on to my side of road about to pull off when he came behind the car to my right over white box and hit me.

The moped was overtaking traffic and you pulled out in front of him, it's up to you too make sure the road is clear. What if it was a child running across the road? I'd maybe go 70/30 against you, as he was across the white line but he still was on the road and you pulled across him.
    Yeah hopefully it goes in my favour just concerned about this right of way theory.Also he is claiming me for injuries,but no ambulance was called he was standing up and was grand.

Some injuries take time to appear and if you get knocked off a bike at any speed it'll hurt, but you'll be pumped up on adrenalin when the crash happens but when you get home or next day you'll feel the pain.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The moped was overtaking traffic and you pulled out in front of him, it's up to you too make sure the road is clear. What if it was a child running across the road? I'd maybe go 70/30 against you, as he was across the white line but he still was on the road and you pulled across him.

Some injuries take time to appear and if you get knocked off a bike at any speed it'll hurt, but you'll be pumped up on adrenalin when the crash happens but when you get home or next day you'll feel the pain.
    I didnt pull out i was already out and traffic was stopped so he should not have been overtaking anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Had he crossed a continuous white line onto the side of the road you intended pulling out onto?

What exactly is he claiming from you? Damages to his bike, personal injuries or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If he was travelling down the the wrong side of the road then he is breaking the law.

You should have looked but cannot be held responsible for people breaching the rules of the road.

What did the Gardai say? Presumably you called them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

If he was travelling down the the wrong side of the road then he is breaking the law.

You should have looked but cannot be held responsible for people breaching the rules of the road.

What did the Gardai say? Presumably you called them.

Wrong, filtering through slowmoving or stationary traffic is legal.

If the poster was stationary it's the rider's fault, if the poster pulled out and was hit it's theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Two independent witnesses say it was the mopeds fault especially being over the white line. I'd make sure to have their details.

• Advertisement

My witness said he was over white box with lines.The guards said that even though he hit me on wrong side of road it could go 50:50.So basically even though i didnt cause that accident i will probably end up losing,just one of those things.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

My witness said he was over white box with lines.The guards said that even though he hit me on wrong side of road it could go 50:50.So basically even though i didnt cause that accident i will probably end up losing,just one of those things.:(

What kind of white line was on the road?

Was he filtering himself though traffic that was not moving?

Hate Mopeds in traffic i would side with you. I was in Dublin few months back and some guy on a moped was filtering through traffic and hit my car and drove off without even looking, dented my car too. :mad:

I wish you luck and hope it works out in your favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

The moped was drving in the middle of the road in between 2 lines of stopped traffic (presume rush hour??), you were edging out as traffic was stopped both sides to let you out.
    Moped hit front side of your car?
    If thats the case unfortunatly the claim will go against you as it was not clear for you to pull out.
    It sucks but the whole pullin out when safe to do so blah blah blah will go against you.
    Let us know how you get on anyway.

miceal wrote: »
    What kind of white line was on the road?

Was he filtering himself though traffic that was not moving?

Hate Mopeds in traffic i would side with you. I was in Dublin few months back and some guy on a moped was filtering through traffic and hit my car and drove off without even looking, dented my car too. :mad:

I wish you luck and hope it works out in your favor.
    Yeah the traffic was stopped,apparently he was driving fairly fast,the other witness said he nearly landed on her bonnet,lucky for her unlucky for me.The dent is fairly big on my bonnet its just so annoying having to drive around like that when i know i didnt cause it.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm a bit confused by this. Were you turning left or right?

If you were turning left then you also must have gone to the wrong side of the road for him/her to hit you.

If you were turning right then the blame will be proportional mostly with the moped driver as they were breaking several laws - dangerous overtaking, overtaking near a junction, driving without due care etc. If a driver who stopped to let you out gave any signal that might be interpreted as "come on, it's clear" then they may also share the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

when i know i didnt cause it.
    Thanks.

Ah come on thats a silly statment, that could easily have been a cyclist, just because cars have stopped doesnt mean its 100% safe to pull out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Keith C wrote: »
    Ah come on thats a silly statment, that could easily have been a cyclist, just because cars have stopped doesnt mean its 100% safe to pull out.
    True, just because cars are stopped doesn't mean you are free to blindly overtake them near a junction at a speed that you can't stop in time to avoid a collision either.

I don't get the people totally on the side of the moped here...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

SteveC wrote: »

If you were turning left then you also must have gone to the wrong side of the road for him/her to hit you.

If you were turning right then the blame will be proportional mostly with the moped driver as they were breaking several laws - dangerous overtaking, overtaking near a junction, driving without due care etc. If a driver who stopped to let you out gave any signal that might be interpreted as "come on, it's clear" then they may also share the blame.

Must have been turning right if traffic both left and right had to stop

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Must have been turning right if traffic both left and right had to stop
    Ah, well spotted. I misread it as "traffic was stopped" as in just plain stopped.

Yeah i was turning right,traffic was stopped on right first to let me out i inched my way out looking left and right , the car on the left outside lane stopped to let me go, i was on my side to go just hiting the centre to turn and he speeded up threw the traffic basically he came from nowhere and crashed straight into the middle front of my bonnet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not clear on one important point.

Were you stationary when he hit you? If so, for how long were you stationary?

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not clear on one important point.

Were you stationary when he hit you? If so, for how long were you stationary?
    I was just about to pull off,he came from nowhere at speed,it happened within a couple of seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I was just about to pull off,he came from nowhere at speed,it happened within a couple of seconds.
    Well then you were at fault as it should of being clear !
    If he was travelling at speed on a bike he would of being injured on the scene...so doesnt add up !

tv3 wrote: »
    Well then you were at fault as it should of being clear !
    If he was travelling at speed on a bike he would of being injured on the scene...so doesnt add up !
    It was clear as i said before he was going in and out of cars and nearly went on to a womans bonnet,if i hit him he would have been knocked back on his head and the bike would have went under the car,not at the curb side on my side of road.

Yeah i was turning right,traffic was stopped on right first to let me out i inched my way out looking left and right , the car on the left outside lane stopped to let me go, i was on my side to go just hiting the centre to turn and he speeded up threw the traffic basically he came from nowhere and crashed straight into the middle front of my bonnet!
    If you saw that he speeded up then you saw him, If he 'came from nowhere' then you didn't see him, which is it?

Again, were you moving when the collision happened, yes or no?

It was clear as i said before he was going in and out of cars and nearly went on to a womans bonnet,if i hit him he would have been knocked back on his head and the bike would have went under the car,not at the curb side on my side of road.

Hang on, are you now saying the bike was at the kerb on your side?

If you saw that he speeded up then you saw him, If he 'came from nowhere' then you didn't see him, which is it?

Again, were you moving when the collision happened, yes or no?
    According to witnesses he was going fairly fast,i was on my side of road about o pull off when he crashed in to me,it is obvious he came behind the car because i didnt se him till he hit my car.:mad:

Hang on, are you now saying the bike was at the kerb on your side?
    Yes the bike was on the kerb on my side,on left side of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

According to witnesses he was going fairly fast,i was on my side of road about o pull off when he crashed in to me,it is obvious he came behind the car because i didnt se him till he hit my car.:mad:
    Fairly fast...:confused:
    I honestly think you are at fault and should just take responsibilty instead of trying to make a better story.sorry;)

• Advertisement

tv3 wrote: »
    Fairly fast...:confused:
    I honestly think you are at fault and should just take responsibilty instead of trying to make a better story.sorry;)
    Im not trying to make a better story,i have two witnesses to back me up.

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement