Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on accident

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

liz72 wrote: »
    Yes the bike was on the kerb on my side,on left side of road.
    How did it end up there from being on the wrong side of the road coming from the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Im not trying to make a better story,i have two witnesses to back me up.

Thanks for your advice.
    How many does he have??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

tv3 wrote: »
    Fairly fast...:confused:
    I honestly think you are at fault and should just take responsibilty instead of trying to make a better story.sorry;)
    You're not helping and IMO verging on trolling, give the guy a break and lets get some facts before condemning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

SteveC wrote: »
    You're not helping and IMO verging on trolling, give the guy a break and lets get some facts before condemning.
    I have read 33 posts so i think that is plenty thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 27 liz72

SteveC wrote: »
    How did it end up there from being on the wrong side of the road coming from the right?
    Because he was over the white lines on my side.

• Advertisement

tv3 wrote: »
    How many does he have??
    He has no witnesses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

but no ambulance was called he was standing up and was grand.

Just on this point. Many years ago I had a bad moped accident (went right over the handlebars head on at 40kmh) I got up immediatly and let rip at the woman who's fault the accident was I was pacing around / with arms flailing etc perfectly fine. About an hour later when the shock etc wore off / swelling started I found myself in very severe pain and unable to walk correctly at all when I got home.

Even though ambulance was called for me either I ended up not being able to walk for 1 month afterwards and suffered severe leg pains for a couple of years to boot.

miju wrote: »
    Just on this point. Many years ago I had a bad moped accident I got immediatly and let rip at the woman who's fault the accident was. About an hour later when the shock etc wore off / swelling started I found myself in very severe pain and unable to walk correctly at all when I got home.

No ambulance was called for me either. Doesn't mean I wasn't able to walk for 1 month afterwards and suffered severe leg pains for a couple of years to boot.
    I really sympathise with you,but my car wasnt even driving when he hit me,i was just letting off clutch ready to go when his bike hit the front of my car and slid over he fell on my bonnet.Just another point my 4 year old daughter was in car very frightening for her too,if he had of been speeding he could have went through my windscreen.He put her life at risk just because of skipping traffic and rushing home.

Because he was over the white lines on my side.
    I'm still trying to picture what happened:

You were pulling out of a side road intending to turn right.

You said he came from the right on the wrong side of the road so:

Before:
    ======================
    [traffic]         <-[moped] 
    ----------------------------
             you    [traffic][traffic]
    =====        ============
          |        |
          |        |

After:
    ======================
    [traffic]         
    ----------------------------
             you    [traffic][traffic]
    =====        ============
          |        |[moped] 
          |        |

Is that what you are saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

From what i can gather the moped was in the oncoming traffic to her,

Cars stopped to let her turn across the oncoming lane.

The moped shot down the outside over taking the stopped traffic and she pulled out in front of him, sending him over her bonnet.

There for its her fault for not noticing him. Or she assumed he would stop when he seen her pulling out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I really sympathise with you,but my car wasnt even driving when he hit me

My friend was driving on his motorbike when a woman went to turn right across him. He slowed down but she saw him and stopped, still on her side of the road. Another car hit her from behind and, as her wheels were turned, she went out in front of my friend. Her car ended up stationary on my friends side of the road but he hit her at about 40km/h. He was fine at the scene but the next day when he got up he could barely move his legs, as with the poster above, and it was a long time before he was right again.

So what I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter if the car was moving or not, the moped driver is still likely to have injuries.

TBH, this whole description of the accident seems a bit vague/all over the place. Nobody who has replied seems to understand 100% what happened and so I get the feeling something is being left out, or we aren't getting the whole story. Could you draw an image in paint or to explain what happened maybe?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OP you claim that you were not moving at the time of the impact. How long had you been stationary prior to the impact? Will the witnesses back that up?
    Did you see the moped at any point prior to the impact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

There is way to much confusion and conflicting reports here on what seems a serious enough incident,

I have attached a (crap) drawing on what seems to be the case at hand, rubbish as it is drawn but seems to clear things up.

the main things here are

was the OP, stopped when the moped hit him on the bonnet of his car, if so then it surely is the moped at fault for loony driving.

or

was the OP still manouvering his car into the line of traffic...when the moped was on top of him.

if its the latter then he could be at fault for not looking and blahh di blahhhhhhh di blahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Was the motorcyclist travelling over chevrons in the centre of the road or passing over broken white lines?

Saw a case recently where a plaintiff lost their case because the judge figured if he hadnt been driving where he wasnt supposed to be leading up to the accident, the accident would never have happened.

mvpr wrote: »
    Was the motorcyclist travelling over chevrons in the centre of the road or passing over broken white lines?

Saw a case recently where a plaintiff lost their case because the judge figured if he hadnt been driving where he wasnt supposed to be leading up to the accident, the accident would never have happened.
    Thanks someone gets me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The OP has stated that she was not moving when the moped hit her, but waiting to turn. We cannot challenge that assertion without talking to the witnesses, so as I see it, it's a given for the purposes of this discussion.

Therefore the moped hit a stationary vehicle, at speed, on the wrong side of the road.

It's a basic principle of safe driving/riding that you must exercise great care when moving into road space which may bring you into conflict with other road users. The scooterist was not exercising sufficient care, or he would not have hit her. Even if she had turned across him, this is a completely foreseeable situation, and he should have been able to stop.

I filter every time I ride, and it must be done slowly and with care. I even slow down when I'm passing junctions on the left with cars waiting to join - you're less visible on two wheels, and have to allow for other people's errors.

So from this account (and it's only one side obviously) I say the scooterist is substantially at fault. You can't ride like that and expect to live for very long.

Advertisement