Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car checks in test

Options
  • 20-10-2008 2:23pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello
    Have my test in the morning and I'm really worried about this part.
    My instructor was going to show me all the bits but he couldn't get the bonnet open. He said he'd do it later but he forgot, and I don't have another lesson before my test. Seriously freaking out here; first did my test in 2002 - have to pass this time!!

So, is there anywhere online I can find out this stuff? Anyone know what I have to point out and what I have to do with it? Tires and oil are two I heard. I'm sure I could get someone here to show me stuff if someone tells me what to ask them for.

Also, someone posted up a good website they'd made on this before. I remember thinking it was great but forgot to bookmark it. Anyone know?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dory wrote: »
    he couldn't get the bonnet open
    Getting the bonnet to open should be your first priority!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know! Just had to post that up quick as I could to maximise chances of getting a decent reply before my test. I'm off to work on the bonnet now....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hang on. So you've been driving since 2002 (or earlier) and can't open your bonnet!! Hmm... Try a little lever on your steering column cover.

Bonnett sorted. Any ideas what I need to check for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bonnett sorted. Any ideas what I need to check for?
    Be able to explain the following:

How to check the oil,
    where to fill the oil
    how to check engine coolant
    Steering fluid
    Where to put water for the windscreen washer
    Brake fluid

I think that's it.

All of the above should be shown in your car manual.

The worst you will get for not knowing this is 1 grade 2. If you get one question wrong it will probably be a grade 1. So don't worry about it too much.

• Advertisement

Ok thank you!!! Waa! So nervous.

.....and tyres - at least 1.6mm over 75% of the tyre surface.

Thanks guys! now, do I just need to know that tyre stuff or do I have to point out on the wheel how I know that??
    Can't find anything online about how one would find the bits in the engine and I have no manual so just going to have to wing it! Maybe my aim will be to make the tester laugh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Read the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Thanks guys! now, do I just need to know that tyre stuff or do I have to point out on the wheel how I know that??
    Can't find anything online about how one would find the bits in the engine and I have no manual so just going to have to wing it! Maybe my aim will be to make the tester laugh.....

I was asked about the tyre thread depth as one of the theory questions but I was never asked to demonstrate how to do it. I was never even shown how to do it when I did my lessons before the test because 'they never ask you to do that' according to the instructor!

• Advertisement

They only ask what the minimum depth is.

Sorry I never noticed the sticky before, very useful. I passed anyway! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Congratulations!! :)

Advertisement