Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT 2.0 TDi Diesel

Options
  • 20-10-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi, just wanted to get a few opinions on this one.

We have an '05 Audi TT Coupe at the moment, love it, it's grand for me. However, I was thinking about upgrading to the new diesel version for a few reasons:

1) It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to tax
    2) Probably a good bit more fuel efficient and since I'm going to be clocking up a fair few motorway miles in the next two years due to a job move that might make sense
    3) I have a feeling the second hand market might start to veer towards diesel with the way the budgets seem to be going. I'm worried that petrol cars mightn't hold value anymore (despite the fact that the TT I have at the moment is actually quite fuel efficient ~39 mpg)

It's either that or buy a sec car for us that I can use for the long runs. So the choice is this: Trade in the 05 TT and get an 09 diesel TT and buy a small runaround or keep the 05 and buy a decent yet modest diesel for the long hauls.

And would anyone now what the dealers would give for the 05 TT. It's in terrific shape.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

We'd need mileage and spec to start guessing at values.

TT diesel will be cheaper to run and tax and probably a good bit of fun to drive too - it's a nice engine and comes with the quattro. I'd say it'll be a big seller in Coupe, probably less so in Roadster.
    Not sure what's going to happen in second hand market. Diesel will become more popular and that'll help values, but as more people buy or import diesels the supply increase could well negate the benefits of the increased demand.

Linky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Is the 2.0Tdi available over here, seem to be fairly rare, would be very interested in one of these in a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

rgunning wrote: »

1) It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to tax

Unless your current TT is the 3.2 litre, then it can't be that much cheaper to tax.
    Also be careful of the whole "spend a lot to save a little" mentality.
    Which version have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

AudiChris wrote: »
    We'd need mileage and spec to start guessing at values.

I guess I'd be looking at the guts of 800 km a week
    TT diesel will be cheaper to run and tax and probably a good bit of fun to drive too - it's a nice engine and comes with the quattro. I'd say it'll be a big seller in Coupe, probably less so in Roadster.
    I'd be going with the coupe, alright
    Not sure what's going to happen in second hand market. Diesel will become more popular and that'll help values, but as more people buy or import diesels the supply increase could well negate the benefits of the increased demand.
    Kinda more worried about losing the value of the petrol one I have already. Though I will miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Have the 180bhp 1.8 l at the moment, but you are looking at a saving of ~€450 a year. The new diesel one is only €150 a year to tax.

I take your point about the "spend a lot to save a little" mentality, it's a really good point. It's just that I've kinda already earmarked funds to go into a car, as I'm gonna get paid more in the new job, but have to travel for it. Just trying to maximise what I get out of what I put in.
    Biro wrote: »
    Unless your current TT is the 3.2 litre, then it can't be that much cheaper to tax.
    Also be careful of the whole "spend a lot to save a little" mentality.
    Which version have you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

rgunning wrote: »
    Have the 180bhp 1.8 l at the moment, but you are looking at a saving of ~€450 a year. The new diesel one is only €150 a year to tax.

I take your point about the "spend a lot to save a little" mentality, it's a really good point. It's just that I've kinda already earmarked funds to go into a car, as I'm gonna get paid more in the new job, but have to travel for it. Just trying to maximise what I get out of what I put in.

€380 saving over a 1.8, not a massive amount. Going from €1540 a year to €150 a year is a massive saving on the other hand!
    Fair enough though, if you're going for a new car anyway then the TDi TT might be a good idea. (I assume it has the 170bhp and not the 140bhp engine in it). New TT is a lot nicer looking than the last one too.

Advertisement