Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bookmarking in VS?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

In Visual Sudio, is there anyway of having a pane with a list of the method names etc in file that you can click on to jump to the method in the file?
    Like clicking on a slide in a powerpoint presentation to jump to it or clicking on an item in a TOC in word.
    It would be convenient when working with a file with a lot of methods classes in it. (it's not easy to share [datacontract] classes between service definitions in silverlight so it's simpler to just use one very big webservice)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just collapse all your methods - right click->outlining->collapse to definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

There's a dropdown in the menu that'll list the functions in the file you're currently looking it - should be on the main menu by default.

It's tied into intellisense though so it can go a bit dodgy at times..

http://portal.govulcan.net/portal/Portals/0/VisualStudio.gif

in that screenshot, where it says "prime"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There is the class view window (View > Class View in 2008). This lists all your classes and their fields. Doesn't seem to list asp.net code behind however :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

There's a dropdown in the menu that'll list the functions in the file you're currently looking it - should be on the main menu by default.

That seems like what I'm looking for. It's not on the standard toolbar for me though, or listed on the add/remove buttons list for it either oddly. I'm using VS 2008 pro.

By standard toolbar, do you mean you've right clicked on the toolbar and made sure the "Standard" option is selected?

If I tick or untick that, the function dropdown appears/disappears from my menu

• Advertisement

Yeah I have the standard toolbar ticked and all buttons for it ticked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Is that not the 'find' field?

I don't really know what the name for it is..it'll list all the functions in the file, and if you select any of them, it'll jump to the start of the function in the file.

would you do me a favour and check the tooltip for it please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Make sure you guys are talking about the same thing. SirLemonhead's screenshot referred to the search terms list as far as I can tell. It's a quick search box and the list of recent search terms which will be empty for some and full if someone has searched for a lot of stuff. At least thats where the word prime was in the screenshot, in the find box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Again this is VS2008 but there's a dropdown at the top of the code editor (tooltip reads 'Members') which contains all the, wait for it, members. And as I've said there's also the class view. I've highlighted them in the attached screen grab.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Again this is VS2008 but there's a dropdown at the top of the code editor (tooltip reads 'Members') which contains all the, wait for it, members. And as I've said there's also the class view. I've highlighted them in the attached screen grab.
    bingo!
    Thanks that's just what I was looking for

woops, sorry :P

It's a similar enough looking dropdown, I got confused :D

Advertisement