Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All services wanted" thread, is it of any use?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

What are peoples opinions of the "All services wanted" thread? My own is that it is pointless, and that it is going to result in people that might actually be able to answer a question not being aware the question had been asked in the first place
    • This is not a high volume forum. If things are busy, new posts might spill over onto a 2nd page after about 2 weeks
    • There are good search facilities on the forum, by all means encourage people to look first before asking something that's been answered repeatedly, though from my experience, there is no problem here with the same question being asked week in/week out
    • If I see a thread title in the forum that I can help somebody out with, I'll answer it. I'm not going to go wading through page after page to see if there's anything I can help with - there's a limit to my altruism
    • These catch all thread are painful to look through when they grow to multiple pages

What's the best means of finding services etc? 0 votes

Super "All services wanted" thread?
    0% 0 votes
    Individual topics
    0% 0 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Thread moved from the Waterford forum.

Just to clarify the thread was started over this thread in the Waterford forum.

JMcL, I left a redirect in the Waterford forum so that people will see it and be able to follow and comment but the thread didn't belong in Waterford forum. :)

We'll (the mods) will keep an eye on this thread anyway and see what the general consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

takola wrote: »
    JMcL, I left a redirect in the Waterford forum so that people will see it and be able to follow and comment but the thread didn't belong in Waterford forum. :)

Well, I'd beg to disagree that it doesn't belong in Waterford as that's where this "rule" is being enforced, and anybody that might have an opinion may well not follow the link. One of the things that regional boards are most useful for is for asking this type of question, and this catch all overmoderation is stifling that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

the idea was discussed between us and the cmod as to make it easier to find what was needed. It was a trial but its probably not worked as well as expected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote: »
    Well, I'd beg to disagree that it doesn't belong in Waterford as that's where this "rule" is being enforced, and anybody that might have an opinion may well not follow the link. One of the things that regional boards are most useful for is for asking this type of question, and this catch all overmoderation is stifling that
    Feedback covers all forums and its where these threads are supposed to be :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JMcL wrote: »
    • If I see a thread title in the forum that I can help somebody out with, I'll answer it. I'm not going to go wading through page after page to see if there's anything I can help with - there's a limit to my altruism
    • These catch all thread are painful to look through when they grow to multiple pages

I'd have to agree with these two points. Information can easily get lost on these big megathreads. we have a big thread devoted to the eeepc in laptops (I think it's the biggest thread in the forum) and I try to keep it for general discussion, any specific questions can easily get lost in the noise.

Also if someone recently used a good plumber and seen a thread asking for a good plumber they'll be more likely to see that (because the name of the thread will generally make it quite obvious) then if it was buried in a thread.

• Advertisement

The problem was there was a good few topics, and often repeat. We thought this system would be easier but i agree the idea didnt work as planne. So will discuss with the lads and cmod up with a decission.

Excuse my posts spelling and stuff.. Using mobile and cant see a lot of what i type!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

takola wrote: »
    Thread moved from the Waterford forum.

Just to clarify the thread was started over this thread in the Waterford forum.

We'll (the mods) will keep an eye on this thread anyway and see what the general consensus is.

Probably would have been best to leave this in the Waterford forum really. Its not a boards-wide rule, just local to the forum in question.

FWIW I agree with the OP, no need for such a thread on forum like Waterford which isnt exactly swamped in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

KevIRL wrote: »
    Probably would have been best to leave this in the Waterford forum really. Its not a boards-wide rule, just local to the forum in question.

FWIW I agree with the OP, no need for such a thread on forum like Waterford which isnt exactly swamped in traffic

Maybe you're right. I did discuss it with another mod who said that it didn't belong in the Waterford forum and should be in feedback. So I moved it. Apologies if that was the wrong thing to do.

Anyone who reads the Waterford forum and has an opinion will no doubt express it here regardless as the redirect is there and the title is fairly obvious.

I agree with Sully. I think the thread was a good idea at the time it was suggested as we did have 6/7 different threads open and we thought it might be easier. It hasn't worked as it was intended to.

As far as i was aware.. Feedback covers all forums. Doesnt matter if the topic is specific to one forum or not.. At least thats what other mods told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sully wrote: »
    As far as i was aware.. Feedback covers all forums. Doesnt matter if the topic is specific to one forum or not.. At least thats what other mods told me.

Its no biggie really. Feedback is obviously for the whole of boards. Its just some threads are best left to the forum where the matter originated from. For instance if there was suggestions to add to a charter of a particular forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The dude has a point, megathreads are useful in several relatively specific circumstances. I don't personally think this is one of them, it doesn't make much sense to have such a catch all.

That said, JMcL, no need to be so bristly about the whole affair. Jesus but Waterford seems to contain a lot of sensitive sallies.

Technically, it should all be on adverts.ie anyway, but until that gets integrated somehow with the general view of the regional forums I don't think it's really fair to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Why not try have the services thread locked and stickied, and just get the information from the various other threads requesting services, like phone numbers, names etc. etc.

The mods can maintain the sticky, and over time there'll be enough info in it that people will stop posting.

Suggest you name the thread something like "LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING FOR SERVICES PLX" and just explain in the thread itself that you shouldn't create a new thread unless the info you're looking for is not already in the sticky.

Jaysis, that was more than I wanted to type. Thanks alot, mods.
    Jesus but Waterford seems to contain a lot of sensitive sallies.
    Or... one?

KingLoser wrote: »
    Why not try have the services thread locked and stickied, and just get the information from the various other threads requesting services, like phone numbers, names etc. etc.

The mods can maintain the sticky, and over time there'll be enough info in it that people will stop posting.

Suggest you name the thread something like "LOOK HERE BEFORE POSTING FOR SERVICES PLX" and just explain in the thread itself that you shouldn't create a new thread unless the info you're looking for is not already in the sticky.

Jaysis, that was more than I wanted to type. Thanks alot, mods.

Or... one?

Will sort all this out now :) The trial has ended.

(See, Feedback does work!)

EDIT: Feedback noted, understood and acted upon. Thanks folks. :)

Advertisement