Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Aquarium Stock Plans?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Does anyone have (that they don't mind posting) a sample stock plan for a marine aquarium. I want to stock it properly and have a good clear knowledge of compatibility so i know exactly where I'm going.

I need two plans, one including sea horses, and one not including sea horses. One way or another, I defintaely definately want to use soft coral as and when appropriate.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Gunter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 robertribbit

Hi Gunter,
    If you definitely, definitely want an aquarium, then there is no better hobby and a stress relieving way to spend a few hours.
    But............. I am an animal lover and I have to ask you a question.
    Should'nt environmentally sensitive creatures like seahorses and coral be left in the wild?. They are absolutely stunning in their natural environment but stress kills more seahorses especially young carrying males, whilst you try to get the temperature and water right. Do you really love animals or just want a very large and expensive conversation piece in your living room?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 guntermurray

Hi Gunter,
    If you definitely, definitely want an aquarium, then there is no better hobby and a stress relieving way to spend a few hours.
    But............. I am an animal lover and I have to ask you a question.
    Should'nt environmentally sensitive creatures like seahorses and coral be left in the wild?. They are absolutely stunning in their natural environment but stress kills more seahorses especially young carrying males, whilst you try to get the temperature and water right. Do you really love animals or just want a very large and expensive conversation piece in your living room?.

Thanks for the reply. I am also an animal lover, and I agree, many many creatures which are kept in tanks and cages should not be there, but now that so many of them are commercially bred and available for sale, why shouldn't we who strive to provide the best possible environment we can for them (albeit an artificial one) and enjoy them, give them a home. I have had aquariums before (freshwater tropical and coldwater) and I have decided that I now wish to further my experience by starting up a marine tank. When I moved abroad some years ago, I had to sell my freshwater tropical tank, and now that I'm back permanently I want to set up an aquarium again.

If you have moral / ethical objections to seahorses, and you are an experience marine aquarium hobbiest, then perhaps you might be so kind and helpful as to suggest a fish only stock plan instead? I am a beginner at marines after all, and do hope to do my best.

I take offence (although I'm sure it wasn't intended)to your comment about whether I love animals, or just want an expensive conversation piece, and i make the point that if i only wanted an expensive conversation piece , then i would have spent a fortune and bought a pre-established tank or a professional to install it. I wouldnt be seeking advice from experienced people to help me do it myself. I am exploring my hobby with a view to having a "piece of work (which will never be fully finished as the work and improvements never stop) that I and my family can enjoy, and I can be proud of my accomplishment, (as inexpensively as possible).

Also, one other point, the stress caused to seahorses or any fish / invertabrate being put in a tank should be less than you suggest. As I try to get the salinity , temperature etc right, there will be NO animals in the tank whatsoever until such time as it is stable enough to house them comfortably.

Thanks again for your interest in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 robertribbit

Hi Gunter,
    Apologies for my straighforwardness, I did not wish to offend. That is merely the way I speak and I asked the question I always ask when someone expresses a wish to have an aquarium full of colourful fish and exotic creatures.
    I can see now that you have a sense of these things and probably already enough knowledge to see your aquarium well on the way to perfection.
    I have kept aquariums, vivariums and all manner of things since childhood having grown up on a farm and having the space. Now I keep only a vivarium and my beloved cats. My aquariums which I built myself are all gone now and any knowledge I have is probably outdated now in any case.
    There's nothing you can't find out on the internet should you require it. check out www.seahorses.de/seahorses.
    Many happy hours watching your fascinating seahorses.
    Anne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

i dont know myself self but there is a shop called seahorse aquariums in dublin beside the red cow hotel hes knows everything you can find his number easily enough on the net think he is on the irish fish keepers forum 2 !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

There are several marine only shops in and around Dublin who would be able to help you : Fish Antics in Dun Laoghaire, Seahorse Aquariums at the Red Cow r/about and Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne. There are some other shops in Dublin which deal with both marine and freshwater - Aquatic Village in Brittas, the Fish Bowl in Lucan and Kinsealy Pet shop on the Malahide Road.
    If you need any more information, you can also log on to www.irishfishkeepers.com. There are a few marine keepers who would be delighted to reply to your queries! :-)
    Hope this helps.
    ValerieR

• Advertisement
Advertisement