Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fable II 10/10 from Eurogamer

Options
  • 20-10-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=263778

Guess it's time to get excited about this one as for once it seems a game is set to live up to Molyneaux's hype and bluster. The original Fable gets a lot of stick not for what it was, but what it wasn't, but I really enjoyed it and now can't wait until Friday to get the sequel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've never played the original but I looks like I'll be getting this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

while I am interested in fable 2 and will be picking it up, I am not completely sure of the 10/10, Didnt Black and White launch to great critical praise initially and then over a few weeks/months recieve a backlash of negative responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm annoyed they don't give a lot of actual game details in that review. I never played the original and have no clue about what the character creation, levelling up system, etc. in Fable. It's not the best review I have ever read and so I remain skeptical.

I think I will put this in the "If fallout 3 is crap I will buy this" camp. Can't afford the time for 2 RPGs these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Any sign of this coming out for the PC? Played the original on PC and liked it, have no intention of getting an xbox anytime soon!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It'll be on the pc, but not for ages. The original took over a year to be ported over iirc. I cant wait for this, although it'll be next wednesday before i can buy it.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It'll be on the pc, but not for ages. The original took over a year to be ported over iirc.

Thought it might be something like that. Damn this xbox fad!:mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought it might be something like that. Damn this xbox fad!:mad:;)

Get with the times grandad. Heeeeeey!

*In my head you're standing at a bustop, leaning on a walking stick while I skateboard by*.

Things are often funnier in my head.

Get with the times grandad. Heeeeeey!

*In my head you're standing at a bustop, leaning on a walking stick while I skateboard by*.

Things are often funnier in my head.

I'm not leaning on it, I'm shaking it at you, and falling over!

NAh, I like gaming on my PC, most of the ones I play are more suited to it, might get an xbox if the prices keep dropping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Great posts, super_furry and Slow Motion, especially after noticing both your avatars. :)

I'm disgusted with this review, I was hoping it would score much less and preserve my wallet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    while I am interested in fable 2 and will be picking it up, I am not completely sure of the 10/10, Didnt Black and White launch to great critical praise initially and then over a few weeks/months recieve a backlash of negative responses.

But Black and White was great. I mean a little rough around the edges but overall very good.

Anyway, now begins the waiting game. About a year from now the PC version will appear and then i can get it.

Just gotta wait......

damn you kids and your xbricks, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! MAY ALL YOUR MACHINES RED RING, EVEN YOUR DAMN TOASTER!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Christ another brilliant game. When am I going to get to chance to play all the games I've bought lately and will buy in the next few weeks. Not sure I will be able to wait for the PC version of this though. Wasn't honestly expecting it to be as good as it now apparently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

what I can't believe is that there is already yarr copies of it!

A person i know who has a chipped 360 has that and far cry 2 on their gamercard right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

But Black and White was great. I mean a little rough around the edges but overall very good.

I remember the term over rated being thrown around alot the weeks following its release.

I expect Fable 2 will get the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A more balanced review on Team Xbox...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't too interested in this game but will have to at least give it a go if the other reviews are full of as much praise. However eurogamer has been giving out 10/10's like copies of the metro lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wasn't too interested in this game but will have to at least give it a go if the other reviews are full of as much praise. However eurogamer has been giving out 10/10's like copies of the metro lately.

Just for Bioshock on PS3, which in all fairness is only worth an 11 :D

Plenty of 9s though.

This review sold me the game, also the fact that its region free in the states so works out nice and cheap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Picked this up today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Still undecided on picking this up next week. It just looks like more of the same, and Eurogamer's review seems to suggest the big selling point is that it's really easy which doesn't really sell it to me...

Eurogamer 10s are pretty worthless these days too so will wait for some more reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I just read the eurogamer review, i ordered the game straight after. I Getting kinda bored of constant Fps games on the pc and would like to give this a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Metacritics has a 9/10 review from Edge too (new issue isn't out 'til during the week so won't get a chance to read it until then). But seems to be getting good reviews alright. This really wasn't on my radar (a result of apathy towards the first one and a lot of other RPGs to get through) especially given the ridiculous week thats in it. Probably won't be picking it up on Friday, but if the reviews and feedback remain positive than it will probably end up on the infuriatingly long shopping list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oddly enough Gamespot have a pretty good review of it, which seems a lot more reliable that Eurogamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I don't trust Gamespot but this game looks like a winner.

That's the weird part. It's the most honest review I've seen of the game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

humanji wrote: »
    That's the weird part. It's the most honest review I've seen of the game so far.

Weird that you say that; have you played the game? You're just assuming being down on the game == honesty. I doubt it's perfect, but both black and white and fable 1 were great. They may have been overhyped but that doesn't diminish the quality of the games imo

humanji wrote: »

TBH that review wouldn't exactly make me run out to buy it, even though I'll probably have to wait ages for the PC version, having said that I did enjoy the first one, although it had it's problems, and will eventually get it because of the first!

whitetrash wrote: »
    Weird that you say that; have you played the game? You're just assuming being down on the game == honesty. I doubt it's perfect, but both black and white and fable 1 were great. They may have been overhyped but that doesn't diminish the quality of the games imo
    Well, I have played some of it. And the gamespot review does pretty much sum up what I got to play. They point out the flaws as opposed to Eurogamer which has hyped up the flaws as plus points. In this regard, they are giving an honest opinion on it, where as Eurogamer look like they're trying to claim it's the greatest thing ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of interested in this now. How do the fable games play? Are they a bit like zelda or are they more like western hack and slashers like oblivion and diablo that bore me to big fat salty tears?

They're like a Zelda, actually. Better graphics and all that, but you basically mash the control pad randomlly because you can't remember what the buttons do, and panic when something jumps in front of you (at least that's what I do :D ).

But it's got a great sense of humour and there's loads and loads to do that's not related to the main story. So it keeps you busy. The best thing to do is rent it and see if it's your cup of tea. But it's a hard game to hate. :)

Forgot I have Fable 1 on my hard disk at home but just never tried it :) I'll give that a go first and decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Heard that the Co-Op in this isnt really what Molyneux said it would be.

Co-Optimus done a little piece about it here

Advertisement