Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour hacked the hedge

• 20-10-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

A bit of background on this one.

We moved into this house during 2001 and had to do a bit of deforestation in the garden due to a fairly extensive Laurel hedge growing on our side of the perimeter. The hedge is fully on our property as it is on our side of a 3 foot high boundary wall.

We were told by our neighbour soon after we moved in that he was glad we cut it back as the previous owner rarely did this and threathened legal action on anyone who tried to touch it. Sounded a bit OTT to me at the time over a hedge.

In the years since we kept it trimmed back to an accpetable level and had great cooperation with our neighbour on this letting us into his side to cut it back and shooting the breeze in the process.

Last month was the latest trim back.

To get to my issue, on Saturday we discovered a large hole cut in our hegde about "2 feet square":eek:.

This looked bizarre to say the least and totally puzzled us. Today we met our neighbour and asked if he saw the hole in the hedge. He told us that he cut it to give him a better view. We told him that our hedge looked really bad now from our point of view, he told us to cut the rest of it down to that level.

I am now very upset at his attitude, considering our very cordial approach in such matters in the past. I do not want cut down the hedge to his requirements as it will affect our privacy. It looks wierd now and will probably take a year or more to fill in.

Legal action would be too drastic at this stage but how can I register my disapproval without causing too much upset such that it does not recurr or continue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dermo123 wrote: »

To get to my issue, on Saturday we discovered a large hole cut in our hegde about "2 feet square":eek:.

This looked bizarre to say the least and totally puzzled us. Today we met our neighbour and asked if he saw the hole in the hedge. He told us that he cut it to give him a better view. We told him that our hedge looked really bad now from our point of view, he told us to cut the rest of it down to that level.

I am now very upset at his attitude, considering our very cordial approach in such matters in the past. I do not want cut down the hedge to his requirements as it will affect our privacy. It looks wierd now and will probably take a year or more to fill in.

Legal action would be too drastic at this stage but how can I register my disapproval without causing too much upset such that it does not recurr or continue.

How odd that must have looked!!
    Has the height of the hedge increased over the last seven years? It could quietly go up without you noticing. But to cut your hedge on your property is trespass (I think), even if he did it from his own garden, and damage to property.

I'd take the friendly approach, sounds like he could be a bollox to live beside if he was riled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cut a hole in his motor and tell him you couldnt see through it ;)

But on a more serious note. Is it really worth getting hot an bothered about? How much does it affect your daily life? Neighbour disputes can be the worst and will affect peoples quality of life for years... Think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

listermint wrote: »
    Neighbour disputes can be the worst and will affect peoples quality of life for years... Think about it.

N'er truer words spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Unforunately, we are not allowed to give legal advice on specific issues, dermo. Perhaps, you should go to a solicitor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement