Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's claws falling out

Options
  • 20-10-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

My wee 3 y/o terrier mix has been losing her claws over the last few weeks. :(

It started when we could hear one of her claws rattling the floor as she walked, then we discovered she was losing them.

Been to the vet & had the claws analysed, there's no fungal infection. Vet reckoned it "must be" a disease I can't recall the name of, apparently it's very rare & surprise, surprise, very expensive to treat!

Now, I don't mind spending money on her, but I'm curious if any of you have ever heard or known of something similar happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sometimes its a lack of certain vitamins/minerals. Have a look here:
    TOENAIL LOSS IN DOGS

Lupoid onychodystrophy is a disease in dogs that causes them to lose their toenails. A research team studied the effect of fatty acid supplementation (for example, fish oil or primrose oil) in treating dogs with this condition. This study compared the fatty acid concentrations in the blood and nails of normal and affected dogs. Studies showed an improvement in the conditions of dogs with lupoid onychodystrophy, but researchers don't know if the improvement is due to the anti-inflammatory characteristics of fatty acids or if affected dogs developed the condition because of a fatty acid deficiency.

And more on the subject of canine nails and feet:

http://lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/nailconditions.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Egar

Great info, thank you very much. :)

Advertisement