Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras (How far away)

Options
  • 20-10-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Quick question, How far away from the Gatso White Van do you have to be to get clocked.

Is there a variable range on them or a standard distance that they work at?

Also is there a tolerance on them .i.e 5% or 10%

Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph stretch and noticed the van about 400mtrs ahead. Kicking myself and waiting for a notice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Frankly I have no idea but if you were doing that speed you deserve to be caught and fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

oddone wrote: »
    Frankly I have no idea but if you were doing that speed you deserve to be caught and fined.
    :mad::mad: your response is annoying to say the least

:mad::mad: your response is annoying to say the least

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Sorry Mammy. :confused:

I'm asking an honest question. No more PC brigade replies please.

Just read an old thread about the speedo's being out on most cars so I reckon i'm fine but i'm curious about how the cameras work.

Why so?
    oh just the way you are on your high horse- probably the kinda guy in primary school who was always putting up your hand and saying "im telling" haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

High horse?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph stretch and noticed the van about 400mtrs ahead. Kicking myself and waiting for a notice.

Obivously you're getting mixed up with 85-90mph as oppose to the 85-90kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Quick question, How far away from the Gatso White Van do you have to be to get clocked.

You'll likely be fine. Your speedo said 85 - 90 but they're overreading. Your real speed was probably somewhere between 80 and 85. I doubt they'll come after you for such a small break in the limit.

If you're not a troll then I pity you greatly.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    High horse?
    thats a right!:rolleyes:

Cheers Bman, any idea how close to the camera you need to be anyway?

• Advertisement

I was just giving my opinion like everyone else and in my opinion the OP has admitted to excessive speeding, I am anti speeding like I would imagine most people with common sense, as I have seen at first hand the carnage and tragedy it causes.
    If you have a problem with that well so be it.

double post sorry.

I was just giving my opinion like everyone else and in my opinion the OP has admitted to excessive speeding, I am anti speeding like I would imagine most people with common sense, as I have seen at first hand the carnage and tragedy it causes.
    If you have a problem with that well so be it.

Look oddone, I was speeding, fair enough.

If you know the stretch of road (Southbound) the speed goes from 120kph to 80kph. I slowed from 120 to about 85/88kph. I wasn't in a residential area, nobody was going to be killed.

It was an honest lapse in my better judgement, i'm only human.

Give it a rest, have you not got real problems to worry about like the rest of us.

From your initial post it reads "Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph"
    I presumed you meant 85-90mph which would be of course well over the top.

If it was kph and as you described above then fair enough, and I'm not worried
    about it at all, was just expressing my opinions, it is a forum after all.

No bother.

It was Kph.

Gotta go folks, internet time is up. Take it sleazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

was just expressing my opinions, it is a forum after all.

'Tiz indeed, and it would be a boring one only for the odd one like yourself floating around :p

Mr.David wrote: »
    'Tiz indeed, and it would be a boring one only for the odd one like yourself floating around :p

I shall take that as a compliment and be off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

Put a cd your dash or hanging from your mirror but make sure the reverse side of it is facing outwards in future. Apparently fires the lazer they use to clock you staight back at them leading to an inaccurate reading.

Hate to think that could get actal maggots who go tearing round the place trying to max there cars off ,but it useful to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The good 'ol days are back....speed fight!..:D

oddone, have you met Cyclopath? I think you'll like him :pac:

Fishyfreak, AFAIK they can clock you further than 400m but it all depends on the road and traffic in the line of sight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Put a cd your dash or hanging from your mirror but make sure the reverse side of it is facing outwards in future. Apparently fires the lazer they use to clock you staight back at them leading to an inaccurate reading.

Hate to think that could get actal maggots who go tearing round the place trying to max there cars off ,but it useful to know.

Old wives tale, doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Was anyone eagle eyed enough to spot the new Gatso Van (Actually a 'Robot Multanova C' Van) on the Lower Glanmire Rd today ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

SteveC wrote: »
    Fishyfreak, AFAIK they can clock you further than 400m but it all depends on the road and traffic in the line of sight.

400m?? Is that true?

I know the hand held laser gun can detect a cars speed at about 500m without the tripod and up to 1000m with the tripod (manuafcturers stating this).

If the Gatso can detect your speed at 400m then the camera would need to have a lens on it to take a pic of the reg and face of the driver.

TheNog wrote: »
    400m?? Is that true?

Don't know, you tell me dude...:D

I thought the vans use laser..:confused:, not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a good chance that 85km/h on your speedo is below 80km/h in reality anyway. You could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Quick question, How far away from the Gatso White Van do you have to be to get clocked..

15 to 20metres is the distance at which the photo is taken, going by info i have gained from various motoring forums

I'd be confidant to say that you are safe, bear in mind the the cop in the van will probably set the limit a little higher than what the road is, and that your speedo usually over-reads by a few k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Where abouts was the van. I drove on the M1 before 5 and It was nowhere to be seen (going towards city centre)

As for Laser/Radar, It depends , but the 8 new vans are running the ROBOT MultaRadar C. Which would take your pic at a distance of 10-15 metres, I'd imagine the GATSO radar vans would be the same.

LIDAR on the other hand could be uop to a 1000metres but as the TheNog said it would need a serious lens to snap you at that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

From your initial post it reads "Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph"
    I presumed you meant 85-90mph which would be of course well over the top.

If it was kph and as you described above then fair enough, and I'm not worried
    about it at all, was just expressing my opinions, it is a forum after all.

Why do you presume he meant mph? Ireland is kph so its a fair guess that he meant kph. Think your just here to troll and try and start a flame fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

An urban myth that doesn't work. But if you can get your hands on an old 8 Track cartridge and sellotape it to your forehead I hear they are the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Always wondered why i used to see people doing that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hagar wrote: »
    An urban myth that doesn't work. But if you can get your hands on an old 8 Track cartridge and sellotape it to your forehead I hear they are the business.

I'm laughing away here, just got a mental image....:D

Advertisement