Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras (How far away)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

i was told by two gaurds, one who has been out in a gatso on training that the range is only 20 meters. was also told that the capture limit is usually set to around the speed limit +10%

i posted a question there the other day asking about speedos and was told they tend to over estimate your speed by about 5% on average.

given all that you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

bikki wrote: »
    Why do you presume he meant mph? Think your just here to troll and try and start a flame fest.

Because he didn't state it in the post. What is a flame fest exactly?
    Try reading the full thread before making childish claims next time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

oddone wrote: »
    I was just giving my opinion like everyone else and in my opinion the OP has admitted to excessive speeding, I am anti speeding like I would imagine most people with common sense, as I have seen at first hand the carnage and tragedy it causes.
    If you have a problem with that well so be it.
    Any more trolling like this and I'll take pleasure in banning you.
    Your post was unhelpful and deliberately provocative.
    From your initial post it reads "Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph"
    I presumed you meant 85-90mph which would be of course well over the top.

If it was kph and as you described above then fair enough, and I'm not worried
    about it at all, was just expressing my opinions, it is a forum after all.
    You can express your opinions but not deliberately attack someone when its not justified.
    Because he didn't state it in the post. What is a flame fest exactly?
    Try reading the full thread before making childish claims next time.
    You started it by attacking the OP purely because you made an assumption about their speed.
    As for the speed limit there, this was introduced when the tunnel opened. IIRC it used to be 70mph. If I'm heading outbound and there is no traffic coming from the tunnel (or indeed from Santry) is it now less safe to travel on that stretch?

You may disagree with someone exceeding the speed limit but don't confuse this with unsafe driving. Conversely, you should not assume that because you drive within the speed limits that you are driving safely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

pa990 wrote: »
    Was anyone eagle eyed enough to spot the new Gatso Van (Actually a 'Robot Multanova C' Van) on the Lower Glanmire Rd today ??
    where abouts was it? Lwr Glanmire road is a long road :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The distance it measures your speed at depends on where they pointed the thing in the first place.

Anyway, there is lines painted on the road where its pointed at, these are used to measure your speed.

Driving through france would almost give you an epileptic seizure though **FLASH** .. WHEEEE !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

craichoe wrote: »
    Driving through france would almost give you an epileptic seizure though **FLASH** .. WHEEEE !!!
    The difference is that in France the location of all fixed speed cameras is published by the authorities. There are signs up that warn you that you are entering a radar controlled zone. It's almost as if they are using the cameras to force traffic to slow down on potentially dangerous stretches of road. Weird or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Bogger77 wrote: »
    where abouts was it? Lwr Glanmire road is a long road :-)

just beyond silversprings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

kbannon wrote: »
    Any more trolling like this and I'll take pleasure in banning you.
    Your post was unhelpful and deliberately provocative.
    You can express your opinions but not deliberately attack someone when its not justified.
    You started it by attacking the OP purely because you made an assumption about their speed.
    As for the speed limit there, this was introduced when the tunnel opened. IIRC it used to be 70mph. If I'm heading outbound and there is no traffic coming from the tunnel (or indeed from Santry) is it now less safe to travel on that stretch?

You may disagree with someone exceeding the speed limit but don't confuse this with unsafe driving. Conversely, you should not assume that because you drive within the speed limits that you are driving safely!

First of all I'm not a 'troll' as you call it.
    I should think my lowly post count on here should be testament to that no?
    "Deliberately provocative", christ! I assume then that you will practice as you preach and ban the literally hundreds of other so called 'trolls' who contribute to these boards everyday, I have seen replies where the forum member has been downright insultful to the previous poster or op yet they seem to be able to continue to do so. Yet I voice my opinion and that is all it is and you're up on your high horse. How did I 'deliberately attack' him?
    It was a misunderstanding based on the information given in the OP,
    I am anti-speeding, that is my perogative and based on personal reasons,
    a few replies later I posted the following which you may have missed:
    From your initial post it reads "Was doing 85-90 on M1 80kph"
    I presumed you meant 85-90mph which would be of course well over the top.

If it was kph and as you described above then fair enough, and I'm not worried
    about it at all, was just expressing my opinions, it is a forum after all.

which the OP was good enough to respond to:
    Fishyfreak wrote: »
    No bother.

It was Kph.

Gotta go folks, internet time is up. Take it sleazy.

The actions of a troll so you say? I think not as anyone with common sense would see.

Oh and for the record..... this was a response to your reply, users who wish to reply to the OP please ignore this and carry on.
    Plus FYI I don't need a lecture on safe driving or indeed the speed limits for that matter as I do not assume anything such as you suggested above.
    I have used this forum many times before in many different sections and asked and helped to answer many queries.
    If you still want to ''take pleasure in banning me'' as you put it, then so be it.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

craichoe wrote: »
    The distance it measures your speed at depends on where they pointed the thing in the first place.

Anyway, there is lines painted on the road where its pointed at, these are used to measure your speed.

Thats true for fixed camers but this question was about a Gatso

Advertisement