Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry 8100 02 Question

• 20-10-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Blackberry Pearl 8100, which was originally a contract phone, on 02. Im wondering, if I can pop in a payg (02) sim, and work away with that, seeing as its the same provider, or would I need to go to an 02 store and explain and request a network unlock key?

Also, with 02 payg, can I utilise the Pearls email and data functionality with the data packages they offer for 99c?

Any help is much appreciated

Ross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

You won't be able to use the email without a specific Blackberry plan. If you use Gmail though, you can download a Gmail program that will work.
    The internet will work, I have an O2 UK pearl and even the blackberry browser works on it! (I was told that this shouldn't work; I think it may be because it treats O2 UK the same as O2 IRL.) If the blackberry browser doesn't work (and if it doesn't it's no big loss), just download opera mini and that will work fine. As for using your payg sim, I'm not sure. I think that Blackberrys are only network locked, but I could be wrong. Either way, since it was a contract phone, O2 should give you the unlock code no problem. You'll probably have to get the guy who sold it to you to get the code though.
    I'd also suggest you ask this question on the O2 forum (http://forums.o2online.ie/). The O2 staff who mod the forum are very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

[i have recently bought a blackberry ,having probelms with making calls rang the o2 service told to take out battery and put it back again,
    this has happen several times have i got a dud phone ,comparing to nokia a lot of work

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭RossD1983

mobius42 wrote: »
    You won't be able to use the email without a specific Blackberry plan. If you use Gmail though, you can download a Gmail program that will work.
    The internet will work, I have an O2 UK pearl and even the blackberry browser works on it! (I was told that this shouldn't work; I think it may be because it treats O2 UK the same as O2 IRL.) If the blackberry browser doesn't work (and if it doesn't it's no big loss), just download opera mini and that will work fine. As for using your payg sim, I'm not sure. I think that Blackberrys are only network locked, but I could be wrong. Either way, since it was a contract phone, O2 should give you the unlock code no problem. You'll probably have to get the guy who sold it to you to get the code though.
    I'd also suggest you ask this question on the O2 forum (http://forums.o2online.ie/). The O2 staff who mod the forum are very helpful.

Thanks a million mobius for taking the time to explain all that. I'll get cracking on the Opera and Gmail progs, really helpful, and much appreciated! :)

Advertisement