Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music as an extra subject?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey I'm in 5th year and I'm considering taking up music as an extra subject. I already do grades in classical guitar (on grade 5) and I used to play recorder (got to grade 6). I'd say I'd find the practical handy enough because I'm learning pieces all the time anyway. I'm just wondering what the rest of the course is like. Is it difficult? Would it be too much work to start now?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You have your Set Works (four of them) which you have to study in quite a lot of detail, a lot of that is learning over and listening to the works while following your score over and over again. Then you haveyour harmony writing, which is writing backing chords to a given tune, that's easy enough as it's very logical and there are certain rules you have to follow. Melody writing is a bit tricker but if you begin that in 5th year you steadily improve over the two years.

Advertisement