Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft - Prime Example... To regulate or not to regulate?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

http://www.daft.ie/docs.daft?page=Contact

Premium number to contact.

They went out of their way to show how much it costs to call from the UK or NI. Do they tell you how much it costs to call from Ireland to the 1580 number?

Nope... Prime example of, lets see how we can rip these tw8nts off...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

they state quite clearly that calls from the ROI cost 2.40 per minute, they even suggest you don't call them:
    ** Calls cost €2.40 per minute including VAT. If you do not want to pay for help, please email us!

Unless they managed to edit that page in the last 3 minutes .... what exactly do you want from them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

€2.40!! Are they not making money on the adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

rob1891 wrote: »
    they state quite clearly that calls from the ROI cost 2.40 per minute, they even suggest you don't call them:

Unless they managed to edit that page in the last 3 minutes .... what exactly do you want from them ...

if you copy the sentence above it you might understand just a little bit better...

* If you're in Northern Ireland or the United Kingdom please phone 0906 906 2136

** Calls cost €2.40 per minute including VAT. If you do not want to pay for help, please email us!

Unless you can confirm to me its a universal fee?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Toiletroll wrote: »
    if you copy the sentence above it you might understand just a little bit better...

* If you're in Northern Ireland or the United Kingdom please phone 0906 906 2136

Unless you can confirm to me its a universal fee?
    Daft.ie Helpline (ROI Only): 1580 880 880*

Actually, you are still wrong. That price, the €2.40, applies to the Irish number only. The "*" referred to the Irish number (pointing out that you call a different number if in the UK/NI), so the "**" still refers to the Irish number, this time making that the second reference to that line, pointing out the price.

An apology to Daft is in order me thinks.

P.S. Thats a standard charge on landlines to call 1580 numbers.
    Premium Services (1580*) Daytime 240.001c
    Evening 240.001c
    Weekend 240.001c
    Source: Eircom, Calls Within Ireland Costs

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

2.40 for a 1580 sounds about right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Damo9090 wrote: »
    €2.40!! Are they not making money on the adverts.

Its a standard charge set by Eircom to call that number. Even if it wasn't, you have to think of the costs daft have. Website Maintenance, Staff Costs, Advertising, Rent on office, Office Equipment, Broadband etc. etc.

I think Daft is an excellent site and damn cheap all things considered. They aint charging for email support, which is free and usually quick. Those who insist or require immediate support have to call their support line which is set at €2.40 by Eircom. Its actually cheaper by Mobile it seems.

Sully wrote: »
    Its a standard charge set by Eircom to call that number. Even if it wasn't, you have to think of the costs daft have. Website Maintenance, Staff Costs, Advertising, Rent on office, Office Equipment, Broadband etc. etc.

I think Daft is an excellent site and damn cheap all things considered. They aint charging for email support, which is free and usually quick. Those who insist or require immediate support have to call their support line which is set at €2.40 by Eircom. Its actually cheaper by Mobile it seems.

Its set by Eircom because Daft asked them to.

The amount of new rental and sales adverts that come up on that site everyday is huge surely they are making a fortune from that.

I agree that the site is one of the best btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Actually, you are still wrong. That price, the €2.40, applies to the Irish number only. The "*" referred to the Irish number (pointing out that you call a different number if in the UK/NI), so the "**" still refers to the Irish number, this time making that the second reference to that line, pointing out the price.

An apology to Daft is in order me thinks.

P.S. Thats a standard charge on landlines to call 1580 numbers.

Source: Eircom, Calls Within Ireland Costs

Hold on, My point is to do with regulation and nothing to do with Daft. In fact I like Daft. Its just that you have never seen regulation before, its Ireland.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Its set by Eircom because Daft asked them to.

Daft have no control over what Eircom charge their customers.
    The amount of new rental and sales adverts that come up on that site everyday is huge surely they are making a fortune from that.

Large bulk is put straight back into the company to be fair, and is needed to keep it running. Not saying Daft are poor, but im explaining why they need money. Every business needs cash to be sucesfull (more or less). :)
    Toiletroll wrote: »
    Hold on, My point is to do with regulation and nothing to do with Daft. In fact I like Daft. Its just that you have never seen regulation before, its Ireland.

Seem to be targeting Daft in your posts in this thread tbh.

What regulation do you want then?

Daft have no control over what Eircom charge their customers.

My point is that Daft are easily making €2 per minute from that phone call.

They asked Eircom for that Premium Services number.

So in actual fact it has noting to do with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Look, it's really simple. The cost of a call centre would be prohibitive, it's a website operation so by using a premium number they can have people actually working on the site and replying to emails rather than be dedicated to the phone. The premium number is used to dissuade most people from calling the office (of which there are probably only 5-10 staff) but allows urgent matters to be dealt with.

It is what it's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Daft could have chosen 1800 free rate or 1850 low rates or any range of cost from low rate to higher than 2.40 a minute as there exists several 1500 numbers at different rates

So daft figure they are worth 2.40 a minute

If they lose trade they can trade down to lowwer rate 1500 number that charges only 1 euro per minute
    As for me paying 2.40 a minute from me not a chance

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

derry wrote: »
    As for me paying 2.40 a minute from me not a chanceDerry

They don't call them, no one is forcing you to call them. They have FREE support via email.

Call Centres cost a lot of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

derry wrote: »
    As for me paying 2.40 a minute from me not a chance
    You have just given the reason why they charge such a high price. They advertise places. They don't off support for computers. They have a numbers that charges a premium to put people off ringing them, which according to you, works.

Advertisement