Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucifixion of Jesus...

• 20-10-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

just wondering why Muslims believe that Jesus didn't die on the cross?

When did God take Jesus up to heaven?

a) Before the crucifixion?
    b) After the crucifixion and before the resurrection?
    c) After the resurrection?

How come nobody spotted that Jesus had been replaced by a double? What happened to this double according to Islam?

God bless,
    Noel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If I remember correctly, the crucifixion was an illusion created by God and God saved Jesus (pbuh). I am not a 100% sure on the details of the when, where etc, but God being all powerful, could easily create an illusion.

There was an ITV documentary, not too long ago that went into detail on this, called the "Muslim Jesus". If you get a chance you should watch that, that goes into more detail.

Here is an old article from the Guardian on it:

TV airing for Islam's story of Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

wes wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the crucifixion was an illusion created by God and God saved Jesus. I am not a 100% sure on the details of the when, where etc, but God being all powerful, could easily create an illusion.
    Thanks Wes.

It makes no sense to me that God would take Jesus up to heaven and then find a double to replace Him to die on the cross. Why would God deceive people in this way? Our God is a God of truth, not deception!

By this illusion/deception God allowed Christianity to spread to become the most popular religion on the planet! Did God make a mistake?

If Jesus was God's prophet, why did He spread Christianity and not Islam, which incidentally came 700 years later!

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

kelly1 wrote: »
    By this illusion/deception God allowed Christianity to spread to become the most popular religion on the planet! Did God make a mistake?
    From CIA World Factbook
    Christians 33.32% (of which Roman Catholics 16.99%, Protestants 5.78%, Orthodox 3.53%, Anglicans 1.25%)
    Muslims 21.01%
    Hindus 13.26%
    Buddhists 5.84%
    Sikhs 0.35%
    Jews 0.23%
    Baha'is 0.12%
    other religions 11.78%
    non-religious 11.77%
    atheists 2.32%
    Apparently God has mis-lead 66% of the people in the world (ignoring the differences between the various branches of christianity, and assuming that regligious rightness is democratic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

kelly1 wrote: »
    Thanks Wes.

It makes no sense to me that God would take Jesus up to heaven and then find a double to replace Him to die on the cross. Why would God deceive people in this way? Our God is a God of truth, not deception!

If Jesus was God's prophet, why did He spread Christianity and not Islam, which incidentally came 700 years later!

God bless,
    Noel.

The thing with the double is an embelshiment some Muslims make, the details are more vague than that. It was an illusion (of some kind) to save Jesus (pbuh) from being brutally murdered. You could also look at as God saving a loyal Prophet, from a terrible end.

Also, your looking at this from a Christian POV. The Muslim POV, would be that the message God sent has always been the same, but that over time things got changed for whatever reason. So that the message God provided through his various prophets, Moses (pbuh), Abraham (pbuh), Jesus (pbuh), Muhammad (pbuh) etc are all the same, but the message got messed up by people over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'm finished with this thread. I got a warning from Hobbes for violating the charter. If that's the case, the charter is in serious need of an overhaul! What's wrong with challenging the beliefs of Islam? I didn't insult anyone!

God bless you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The thread is not the place to whine. You can use helpdesk or feedback. It was a warning to read the charter not an infraction. It is clear you still haven't read the charter so here is he main point.
    This forum is not open for you to attack the Islam religon nor is it a forum for people of that faith to have to constantly defend their faith from attack.

If you have issues with Muslims/Islam this is not the forum for you. There are plenty of other forums on boards.ie where you can vent.

It wasn't to say that you stop asking questions but your tone of questioning was slowing working its way to a point where it is better asked in other forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 scumbag sqpants

wes wrote: »
    The thing with the double is an embelshiment some Muslims make, the details are more vague than that. It was an illusion (of some kind) to save Jesus (pbuh) from being brutally murdered. You could also look at as God saving a loyal Prophet, from a terrible end.

Also, your looking at this from a Christian POV. The Muslim POV, would be that the message God sent has always been the same, but that over time things got changed for whatever reason. So that the message God provided through his various prophets, Moses (pbuh), Abraham (pbuh), Jesus (pbuh), Muhammad (pbuh) etc are all the same, but the message got messed up by people over time.

The word Islam means "submission", or the total surrender of oneself to God so it seems to be the most obvious or most accurate of the Abrahamic religions. Is it not the truth that Muslims generally believe that Christians and Jews distorted the revelations and are in err of what they believe and how they provide sacrifice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Agathon

Hobbes wrote: »
    It wasn't to say that you stop asking questions but your tone of questioning was slowing working its way to a point where it is better asked in other forums.

I didn't think he's tone was that bad. His points were valid. I think people should come onto this forum and try to test the mettle of Islam. Some questions can be harsh but as long as nobody insults Allah and the prophet, and they're genuinely trying to find out something about Islam/God/Creed, then we must try to help them in the most sincere way. He asked about why would God mislead? - That's his honest thoughts/question; it's our aim to try to point him in the right direction and convince him of Islam. If he mocks or jokes you can see it from a mile away!

It's a difficult one. We believe that Allah revealed the Qur'an to the final Prophet Muhammad (p). In the Qur'an, Allah states with Authority: 'They (jews/romans), definitely, did not crucify him ('Isa/Jesus),' but Allah saved him from their evil plans. If he doesn't believe that the Qur'an is from Allah, then that's a different story?! - What's his reasons for not believing it's not from Allah.

Advertisement