Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin decision is final? Regardless?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

So there I was posting some feedback in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055402635 and it got locked tighter than a ducks ass doing a grub dive in a pond.

Is that the way it is? An Admins decision is final even if it is open to question? I don't think DeV or Cloud would have thought boards would be like that back in the day. Clamping down on feedback for no reason bar an Admins Decision is final? Even the yanks have a system were questions can be asked.

Sure, remove medical cards. Those in charge made the decision. No one question it. Gas Jews. The people in power made the call and their decision is final.

Sad day, so Martin Niemollers ghost says :(

One day it could be you but I'd say Mike65 will get it before ya.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't think DeV or Cloud would have thought boards would be like that back in the day.

In June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You didn't even get banned what's the problem? And you godwined in the first post, is that a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I dunno-i cringe that i agree somewhat with daithi of all people. *washes skin. They don't make water hot enough!* but i dunno. The whole adblock thing. Meh. I get why cult did it,dunno if it was entirely fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the Admins don't have the final decision who does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

You didn't even get banned what's the problem? And you godwined in the first post, is that a record?

There is no problem. Unless asking a question is seen as one these days. I am providing feedback on feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fight teh Powah!

Their site, their rules.

EDIT: wasn't there a Fight teh Powah boards.ie gathering card?

Hagar wrote: »

Good question Hagar. Perhaps the people who keep the site alive? I doubt it would be much of a site with just the 6 or 7 of them posting.

Given their love of politics and the power of the people, it is an interesting conundrum tbh. No one minds an admins decision being final if it is justified and right or at least explaind well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Admin can do what they like .... and like 99% of active posters I've no problem with that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Those in charge made the decision. No one question it. Gas Jews. The people in power made the call and their decision is final.

You're comparing getting banned from an internet forum to the holocaust? Man, that's retarded.
    I doubt it would be much of a site with just the 6 or 7 of them posting.

It wouldn't be much of a site if there was no ad revenue. Although I do agree that banning someone for using adblock/recommending ad block is something that shouldn't be done, it's not me losing out on the ad revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Why would you have a section for feedback and then lock a thread so fast? If you don't want questions asked then why ask for them with this forum?

Id also like to know, while Im at it, would feedback be the appropriate forum for posters to offer their reviews of moderators modding styles?

And as far as sitewide bans, I dont know what overheal did, but maybe he should call for a sitewide boycott and watch your revenues plumett.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Admin can do what they like .... and like 99% of active posters I've no problem with that.

yeah,but wasn't overheal banned for talking about adblock? Cult could have just explained that ads are important so boards gets money,but that the owners don't mind people using adblock to stop ads the break/slow down their access. Which is what Dev has said before if i'm not mistake. He could have banned overheal from feedback instead of the entire site (which makes no sense). Still,it is the owners site. Its just a bit messy i guess.

No one minds an admins decision being final if it is justified and right or at least explaind well.

Actually ad this to the list:

if it is justified and right or at least explaind well or for funny.

Some people need a smack sometimes even if they arent breaking any rules.

Admins can do what they like, even turn a blind eye when site banned posters return with a new username.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hagar wrote: »

God , Buda and Spongebob

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So there I was posting some feedback in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055402635 and it got locked tighter than a ducks ass doing a grub dive in a pond.

Is that the way it is? An Admins decision is final even if it is open to question? I don't think DeV or Cloud would have thought boards would be like that back in the day. Clamping down on feedback for no reason bar an Admins Decision is final? Even the yanks have a system were questions can be asked.

Sure, remove medical cards. Those in charge made the decision. No one question it. Gas Jews. The people in power made the call and their decision is final.

Sad day, so Martin Niemollers ghost says :(

One day it could be you but I'd say Mike65 will get it before ya.

Ouch, godwins law. You fail. So close.

I am singing from the same book 6th. It would be better for all to get rid of the pretence that it is not that way? Better to make it clear than an Admin can do whatever they want, regardless of the community.

I'd be happier under that remit too.

So would Martin Niemollers ghost.

And as far as sitewide bans, I dont know what overheal did, but maybe he should call for a sitewide boycott and watch your revenues plumett.

People like complaining, were your plans falls down though is the fact that no one cares enough to do anything about it.

Gwan metrovelvet, why not refuse to login til Overheal is back? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't get it, he was temp site banned for talking about some kind of adblock? Seems a bit harsh doesn't it? Did he get a warning or anything? Surely he not the only user ever to talk about adblock on boards.ie?

People like complaining, were your plans falls down though is the fact that no one cares enough to do anything about it.

One day people will care enough.

Mark my words. :) I think the Admins on boards do a great Job but that does not stop me saying what I think. The Overheal siteban is wrong.

Better to make it clear than an Admin can do whatever they want, regardless of the community.

Regardless of the community? Tosh.

You take away the edge that each individual admins personality brings to this site and you're left with just another discussion forum.

Look at April fools day on Boards.ie - absolute abuse of power but funny as f0ok!

I don't get it, he was temp site banned for talking about some kind of adblock? Seems a bit harsh doesn't it? Did he get a warning or anything? Surely he not the only user ever to talk about adblock on boards.ie?

they've said the reason they don't like it,is because they need ads for extra income,which is fair enough. Its ok to use adblock if its a glitched ad thats timing out the page or whatever,but not subscribing and blocking ads hurts the site,again fair enough.

• Advertisement

Overheal brings it up a fair bit.

It just seems ungreatful to use this site and then promote ways to stop cash coming in.

People who use this site for free will complain about this ban saying Overheal did noothing wrong. Then they'll complain when the site is down for an hour.

They complain but they need this a place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Overheal is site banned now?
    I thought he was a pretty nice guy. Hope they let him back in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nerin wrote: »
    they've said the reason they don't like it,is because they need ads for extra income,which is fair enough. Its ok to use adblock if its a glitched ad thats timing out the page or whatever,but not subscribing and blocking ads hurts the site,again fair enough.
    Yeah, that's all good, but overheal seems like he'd understand that if it was said to him, unless i'm mistaken?

One day people will care enough.

No. They wont.

Its only a temp ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Its just a temp ban. He linked to firefox add-on for blocking ads so Cult thanked him with a ban.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do the ads only generate revenue on clicks, or just by loading on the page?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Overheal is banned?

Now who is going to create the poll for this weeks episode of Heroes? Did they for one moment stop and think about that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah well. Seems fair enough. Sher he'll be let back, he is aware and nobody else will do it. But still it is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Or everybody can turn on their adblockers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement