Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admin decision is final? Regardless?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

6th wrote: »
    Regardless of the community? Tosh.

You take away the edge that each individual admins personality brings to this site and you're left with just another discussion forum.

Look at April fools day on Boards.ie - absolute abuse of power but funny as f0ok!

The Admins, like much of the world took the p1ss on April fool’s day? Jaysus that is unheard of!! Using you power for fun is not seen as a bad think. Using it to push your own agenda or for personal reasons is seen as bad. Can you see that?

Anyway this is a useless debate as Berutial will be locking that thread. Otherwise she would look inconsistent and I just worry about Mike65 :(

Hang in there buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

what's going on with mike65?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

The Admins, like much of the world took the p1ss on April fool’s day? Jaysus that is unheard of!! Using you power for fun is not seen as a bad think. Using it to push your own agenda or for personal reasons is seen as bad. Can you see that?

Anyway this is a useless debate as Berutial will be locking that thread. Otherwise she would look inconsistent and I just worry about Mike65 :(

Hang in there buddy!

wow,you're great a sabotaging your own arguement...

what's going on with mike65?

The Knives are out.....

Just my personal opinion mind. My opinion is retarded for the record.

Nerin wrote: »
    wow,you're great a sabotaging your own arguement...

mum? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My opinion is retarded for the record.
    Duly noted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He has teh ghey, brought on from posting his username at the end of each post. A tragedy that could have been avoided tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Newsflash: admins can be spiteful bastards if they want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Sherifu wrote: »
    Newsflash: admins can be spiteful bastards if they want. :)

Why can't I thank you?

+1... Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

takola wrote: »
    Why can't I thank you?

+1... Get over it.
    Careful, the last person that asked me that was...Overheal.

/just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People who use this site for free will complain about this ban saying Overheal did noothing wrong. Then they'll complain when the site is down for an hour.

As much as I considered it (in truth, not much). I also thought the site ban was a bit harsh - assuming that a warning wasn't given and there are not other factors - and I was a little surprised to see it.

I subscribe, and I don't complain when the site is down btw.I don't see the subscription as payment that I expect good service (or no ads) for. Just a voluntary donation back because I get a lot out of boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Teacups always look silly when there are storms in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

FREE THE OVERHEAL 1

oh wait no I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He'll probably claim it was racism when he comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

That's what you get for voting for Bush

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I can't decide if the ban was harsh or completely called for. Either way it's only a week, and he'll be back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Look at April fools day on Boards.ie - absolute abuse of power but funny as f0ok!

The first time i saw it yes.........Do you go to be giddy as a schoolgirl every March 31st now 6th ? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So there I was posting some feedback in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055402635 and it got locked tighter than a ducks ass doing a grub dive in a pond.

Jaysus, Fingers, after your brush with near oblivion on boards.., I thought you'd have the sense to keep the head down for a while.

Oh well, I guess Darwin was right after all..:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I can't decide if the ban was harsh or completely called for. Either way it's only a week, and he'll be back next week.

it was the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Ah well, wouldn't want to deprive Daithi of Overheal, I'm not in the business of breaking hearts :)

CuLT wrote: »
    Ah well, wouldn't want to deprive Daithi of Overheal, I'm not in the business of breaking hearts :)

I thought the recruiting poster said they were gonna make a heart breaker and life taker out of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Now release Brian!

Now release Brian!

No, release Roderick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

copacetic wrote: »
    No, release Roderick.
    Welease Wodewick

get it wight ffs...:rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I can see why its caused a bit of a stir but to be fair, the adverts help pay for Boards.ie. You get Boards.ie for free and all they ask in return is for showing of a few ads. Give them a click, they get cash. Obviously a lot of people find them useful, otherwise they wouldn't make money out of it. Plus, a lot more people would ask for them to be removed.

Its not nice for someone to constantly come into Feedback or whatever and plug AdBlock when the issue of adverts arises (good, bad or neutral topics). Its not fair for people to come onto Boards and show their ignorance by blocking all adverts. Take a look around you and see what your getting for free. Is it so much to ask to display a few ads that might interest you, to help pay for staff and Boards.ie running costs? Talk about ungrateful. CuLT especially has done a **** loads for Boards, and the ads help pay him for the many hours he pours into this site. Yes he gets paid, but hes a damn good worker and has improved the site bucket loads. As have the general ads - they have helped pay a range of other costs to help keep the site running.

Putting the issue of AdBlock aside and the winge that people don't like adverts - fair enough, not everybody likes them. So why not subscribe to Boards and you can disable them. This way, your removing the ads but helping towards the sites costs. The admins have made two options for you:- Like Adverts? Great, keep an eye out and click those that interest. Its a nice way to give back to Boards.ie and help the cost. Its only a little way of giving back, but your giving back. Hate Adverts? Fair enough, you can remove them by contributing back to Boards.ie in other ways - just subscribe and you have the option to remove them.

Overheals a nice guy, and im sure he meant no harm and will understand why the ban was issued and take note. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Isn't boards a discussion forum? Does anyone think Overheal meant anything malicous by talking about an adblocker? Personally I wouldn't have thought talking about it would get you banned and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that. Fair enough adverts bring in revenue and their importance can't be mistaken but using or mentioning an adblocker is almost an automatic thing for people, it's not something they stop and think about.

It's been thrown in our face enough times that boards is a privately run site and the admins can do whatever they please. I'm pretty sure most regular users understand this but again getting banned for something which most people don't think about seems harsh. Whatever happened to a rap on the knuckles and a stern warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

This is the only fora I have come across that have a 50 E per annum subscription fee or any fee at all. I wouldn't pay 50 E a year just to get to use my own avatar? Are you kidding? For 50 E a year subscribers should have some kind of a say in how things are run.

I personally could care less about ads. As it happens I didn't notice until this thread was brought up that I had an adblocker activated. I'll unblock it when Guanyin is no longer a moderator.

The mods seem to be getting all to ban happy. Does the recent advertising have something to do with this?

Also in the boards ie charter, it says advertising is not permitted? So it's pretty confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

CuLT wrote: »

Does this mean that he's nw unbanned?

It's a bizarre banning. Surely a warning would have had the same effect.

I think it's really important to start showing the users a bit of respect. We can talk about they get site access for free, and admins can do what they like etc.

But the reality is that shares in this site fetched a decent price recently, by all accounts.

Sure, that was for a multitude of reasons. But one major one, if not the most important one, was surely the number of people who use the site.

If you keep banning people, temporarily or not, then eventually people won't come back. There's already a lot of people who don't use the site because of it's ban-happy reputation.

Overheal seems like a decent guy, though I've never really ahd all that much interaction with him I'm sure he'd have responded to a polite request.

Users can be adults too, and it's not that mental to treat them as such in the first instance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

TBH this is very true,

Im always tellin my mates to join up here because they can ask questions etc and it reaches a large scope of people however they always reply with. 'Nah, fu(k that, they are pr!cks on that, some guy got given out to cause i went off topic'

I reply with 'yeah, i suppose':rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement