Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii, PS3 or 360 ?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys (& Girls),

Just wondering which is the best console to go for ?

Wife is looking for something to buy me & the only thing I can think of is a console. Truth be told I very rarely play games (no real time), However the Rockstar/Guitar Hero type & shootem ups do appeal to me.

If the 360 had blueray I'd probably be interested in that due to media streaming capabilities. I do have an original xbox sitting in a press for the last two years & a bunch of games for it.

I've only seen the PS3 in demo mode in stores (& couldn't get near it - stunning graphics though.

THE Wii, I think only has childish cartoon type graphics.

Could someone who knows a bit about these things clue me in please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You're posting this in a Nintendo forum...

... somehow I don't think PS3 will win out! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Fast reply & I thank you !

Couldn't find a general consoles forum & didn't want to cross post.

iMax wrote: »
    Fast reply & I thank you !

Couldn't find a general consoles forum & didn't want to cross post.
    No worries..

I've owned a Wii and 360. The 360 wins out by a mile... I sold my Wii about 10 months after buying it because I was sick of these daft party games and no Wii fan can convince me much has changed. I've seen most of their worthy releases since they bought it.

The 360 is a fantastic machine.. and it's DVD player / media player capabilities / Live service is far above what's available on the Wii.

OK, so between the PS3 & the 360 (this is where it gets interesting)

PS 3 having the advantage of blueray....

What can the 360 do that the ps3 not ?

There's very little the 360 can do that the PS3 can't. There's probably a huge list of pros and cons somewhere. I don't know enough about the PS3 to really give you much of an opinion on it.

• Advertisement

Cheers, can you move me into PS3/360 forum so that someone there could give an opinion ?

Thanks for the info so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm moving this into the games forum, although we really aren't fond of these threads since a simple search will bring up a rake of them that ended up in fanboy wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Oh my god, another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I have all 3 consoles and i have to say i like the xbox the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Atari Jaguar.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PS3: has a Blu-Ray player, limited catelogue of games, though plenty of FPSs, free online gaming and services

XBox360: HUGE catelogue of games, no HD player besides the now defunct HD-DVD format, better online gaming services but you pay for it, also a lot cheaper (but seeing as its the better half getting it for you, that is irrelevent here)

Wii: there are some brilliant games for it (Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, SSBB etc...), limited online play (few games support it), lots of fun at a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

360: Price, It's cheaper than a new wii, you need to add the cost of a HD and prolly xbox live subscription on top, but it's cheap, best for online multiplayer gaming with Xbox live (this is huge if you want to sit around and play against real people all day whenever you want), and the amount of games available

Wii: Offers unique gaming experiences, best for party gaming (IE multiplayer gaming with several people in your house), best for people who aren't really into 'traditional' (see: utterly derivative) games such as FPSs, sports games etc, that is to say, it has the best range of games available, although not the most by number. Nintendo make games for it, meaning you're pretty much guaranteed at least a couple of all time great games per console.

PS3: Is as much a media centre as a gaming pc, (bizarrely they took out the wifi card I think, big mistake), if that's what you're after, plays blu-ray, so it's already a next gen movie player and meaning it will, in the future, have an advantage in being able to have more data per disc, this isn't really a massive issue yet. IMO best line up of top notch games coming out over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sea Devils wrote: »
    PS3:bizarrely they took out the wifi card I think, big mistake

No they haven't. If you mean the SD card reader, then yes they have but besides using it to view photos from your camera, I don't see how that is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Otacon wrote: »
    No they haven't.

My mistake:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Wii:best for people who aren't really into 'traditional' (see: utterly derivative) games such as FPSs,

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Wii: Gimmick tbh, of all my friends that have it they have since stopped messing around with it and moved over to a mans console ;) It's a nice machine for party games, but how often have you sat down after a long day of work and wanted to play yourself in a game of Jenga

Xbox 360: Get this if you want to play a lot of online with your friends. It has much better online support and features than the PS3. It has a great controller mostly although it does have one of the worst D-Pads in the history of gaming. It's also horribly noisy, runs very hot, has no easy option to upgrade the internal HDD and no Bluray support

PS3: Bluray support, quiet, wipeout HD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

we have a 360 and a wii in our house, (live with 3 mates). and the wii gathers dust while the 360 dies regularly from overuse.(thats just an expression - it hasnt dies yet thank god!) A friend brought up a ps3 for about 2 months one time with a good few games. People would sit down to play it and 1/2 an hour later ended up switching back to the 360.

i know two people who got wiis and ended up selling them for a 360 or ps3. tbh they are not a gamers console, its a party console. It only comes out in our house when we are really drunk andsick of 360, which doesnt happen that often. It has some good games but very limited, Metroid, Zelda and Smash Bros to name a few. But the vast majority are just silly party games. Online play for the wii is a joke and hardly any games have it, there is alsono chat system as far as i know.

Im not a ps3 owner so i cant give that much info on them. (although if i had the money id buy one just for little big planet)

Basically what im trying to say is get either a 360 or a ps3.

hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Had the same dilemna and after some posting, research and marching around the various shops looking for the best bundle offer I've decided to go for a PS3. Far too many problems with the x-box, am not a hard core game and most of the games I'd be into seem to be available on both consoles. Best ps3 offer seems to be 400 euro with a good game, I'd be looking for Battefield or GTA, hopefully it will come down after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Can sticky this thread so everyone can see that <insert preferred console of choice> is far better than X,Y and Z because it does blah blah blah and has all the best games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

lol :D
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    Wii: Gimmick tbh, of all my friends that have it they have since stopped messing around with it and moved over to a mans console ;)
    Korvanica wrote: »
    i know two people who got wiis and ended up selling them for a 360 or ps3. tbh they are not a gamers console, its a party console.

God-fucking-dammit, we didn't even last a single page.

*shakes head*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

tbh i got wii then ps3.if only i know FF13 is gonna multiplatform earlier.

no point of getting any console at the moment,from the financial point of view.maybe x360 for its price sake.ps3 should be halved price when the day FF13 announce its affair with microsoft.insider news,ps3 is merely having 1 or 2 monogamy marriages and we dont even know how long will thay last;on the other hand microsoft's women are more than enough to invade our country if you give them a gun in hand.

if you ask me i'd enjoy an affair more or a taste of death(x360's 3 red) ,i say i will enjoy the death ride more,you will have 3 chances anyway.meanwhile, i heard microsoft is tossing their existed x360,bringing in a better batch or maybe a slim version before slim ps3 comes out.oh,slim ps3,ring a bell too - in 2 years time maybe?

so like i always advice my friends after i bought the ps3 just few days before it lost value,''dont get one until my further notice,you are not a real gamer anyway,you can wait.''plus now is recession.:pac:

get a set of golf /Spain holiday ticket/asia xmas trip/drama dvd set plus a box of guinness.happy birthday OP!:D

p/s: ops i've totally left out Wii lol get one if ya have kids,or else forget it.or you're always a mario/zelda fan......no,stick with what i said,forget it unless you have kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Xbox360 for me... Cheap and Cheerful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Just get a Blu Ray player, it seems to be the main selling point of any of the three consoles for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Incidently some people just seem to prefer certain consoles and games. I've never understood why so many FPS nuts went bought and Wiis in the first place. Stick to the 360 ffs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

personally I'd go for the ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well m8. You are not a hardcore gamer, so this "item" you getting should be more usefull for you. So i wo stick with PS3, why? becouse it is a huge massive thing with loads of functions. And yes, it is a blur player aswell. so you will shoot 2 ducks! you will be able to play some games, if you really feel to, and you have a next video player.

But as a gamer, i would go with xblender ( xbox360). Xbox360 is now, what ps2 was back in day. games, and loads of them. And today moucome on all consoles, later or sooner.

Thought i own bouth of those things, but they bouth collecting dust atm WARHAMMER!!! WHAAGH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I have both the 360 and ps3. Personally I prefer the ps3 the 360 has been unused since I got the ps3 4 or 5 months ago.
    It all depends on what you like though as most games come out on both consoles anyway. I always prefered playstation over xbox which is probably why I play manly ps3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

PS3 has much better exclusives coming out right now, while the 360 has a slightly stronger back catalogue because it's been out longer. If you like Shooters or RTS games, get a 360. If you like platformers, action/adventure, racing games, or anything a bit unusual get a PS3. In either case you'll have a brilliant console anyway because 99% of the best games are out on both.

The 360 is cheaper to begin with but be aware that Microsoft will nickel and dime you to death. I know my 360 has cost me a hell of a lot more to date than my PS3 did, for the same level of functionality. Well, still less functionality if you're going to use Blu Ray, but I don't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have all 3 and the XBox wins hands down. However, I get the impression you would get more use out of the PS3. It has many of the great shooters available on the 360, it has GH and it has blu-ray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

the 360 has a much wider range of games ,games are cheaper,has xbox live ,graphics on ps3 and 360 are identical,unless you want blue ray ,theres no reason to get a ps3 .THEY have a few good exclusives like little big planet,MGS4 ,get the 20gig or 60 gig model,make sure it has a hardrive.95per cent of games are released on the 360,its more expensive /complex to make a ps3 game because of the unique cell processor.

Advertisement