Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii, PS3 or 360 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I presume the OP has a HD capable tv (who dosent these days!) otherwise theres not much point in getting a 360 or PS3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

hal9000 wrote: »
    I presume the OP has a HD capable tv (who dosent these days!) otherwise theres not much point in getting a 360 or PS3

Nonsense! I had a none HD tv for 3 months when i first got my 360. It doesn't look as good, granted, but it's not that bad......

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I didnt have a HD tv when I got my first xbox360 and I noticed a large difference when upgraded to a HD, was using a small portable before the new tv. Personal opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

hal9000 wrote: »
    I didnt have a HD tv when I got my first xbox360 and I noticed a large difference when upgraded to a HD, was using a small portable before the new tv. Personal opinion though.

The consoles are better with a HDTV, but they're still great without one. It wouldn't put me off buying a console, I've used both my 360 and my PS3 with an SDTV at different times and it's not like the games suddenly play worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm finding it ever harder to choose between the PS3 and 360.
    They both have a decent amount of exclusive games at this stage, and both have their pros and cons (price/noise level...)
    If you HAVE to choose just 1, then the 360 just about hedges it for me thanks to the huge back catalog and price. Real men own both of them.

Wii = smelly puddle of tramp wee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I refuse to turn on my 360 until they update that horrible dashboard.
    I refuse to turn on my Wii until they release some more decent games. Day of Crisis might do the trick.
    I turn on my PS3 sporadically to play Wipeout and watch movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the wii is getting a lot of unfair stick. It's getting a good bit of play from me recently after I bought a few game son it I missed, Boom Blox, Endless Ocean and the surprisingly brilliant De Blob. Not to mention it's easy to hack and get a load of emulators running on it. It's not a console that will do on it's own but if you have a real interest in games it makes a great second machine. It certainly makes a better second console than the PS3 which to me until recently was a totally worthless machine to have next to the 360. It's finally gotten some decent downloadable content games and the little big planet beta has awakened a creative side to me that I never knew I had and really want to play the full game so I can build the levels I've had planned since the beta closed. Was really disappointed with MGS 4 which I just got to play recently and I'm a massive MGS fan. It seems like a step backwards from MGS 3 which let you play the game rather than watch cutscenes for 90% of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Now that Tekken 6 and Final Fantasy XIII are being released on the 360 I would say it is definately the best buy. Great selection of downloadable games and alot of the older games tend to be cheaper than the PS3 and Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

steviec wrote: »
    PS3 has much better exclusives coming out right now, while the 360 has a slightly stronger back catalogue because it's been out longer. If you like Shooters or RTS games, get a 360. If you like platformers, action/adventure, racing games, or anything a bit unusual get a PS3. In either case you'll have a brilliant console anyway because 99% of the best games are out on both.

The 360 is cheaper to begin with but be aware that Microsoft will nickel and dime you to death. I know my 360 has cost me a hell of a lot more to date than my PS3 did, for the same level of functionality. Well, still less functionality if you're going to use Blu Ray, but I don't.

There are issues like another 60 quid if you want wireless adapter right? Or have MS started making their consoles wireless out of the box? Then the 50 quid a year for XB live. Is there some extar cost with regards charging the controllers as well?

I think theres defo more to the price comparison than simply looking at each consoles price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

noodler wrote: »
    There are issues like another 60 quid if you want wireless adapter right? Or have MS started making their consoles wireless out of the box? Then the 50 quid a year for XB live. Is there some extar cost with regards charging the controllers as well?

I think theres defo more to the price comparison than simply looking at each consoles price

That is a fair point. Yes you need to buy a charger for the wireless controller or else use batteries. I've never played the PS3 so I can't comment on its quality of online gaming however Xbox Live is exceptionally well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

That is a fair point. Yes you need to buy a charger for the wireless controller or else use batteries. I've never played the PS3 so I can't comment on its quality of online gaming however Xbox Live is exceptionally well done.

It is but it would want to be considering its a subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

It seems you would get more use out of the ps3 alright by the sounds of it..i think with blu-ray support in there and acting as an all-in-one media center its going to be the one youll want the most out of the three..it is more expensive but i think its worth it as your getting more of a package..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the wii is getting a lot of unfair stick. It's getting a good bit of play from me recently after I bought a few game son it I missed, Boom Blox, Endless Ocean and the surprisingly brilliant De Blob. Not to mention it's easy to hack and get a load of emulators running on it. It's not a console that will do on it's own but if you have a real interest in games it makes a great second machine. It certainly makes a better second console than the PS3 which to me until recently was a totally worthless machine to have next to the 360. It's finally gotten some decent downloadable content games and the little big planet beta has awakened a creative side to me that I never knew I had and really want to play the full game so I can build the levels I've had planned since the beta closed. Was really disappointed with MGS 4 which I just got to play recently and I'm a massive MGS fan. It seems like a step backwards from MGS 3 which let you play the game rather than watch cutscenes for 90% of it.

A balanced post at last!! The Wii is a great machine in that it actually is a product of thought rather than "how much hardware can we throw at a plastic box?". The lack of games is it's downfall, but then Nintendo can't write cheques like $ony and M$ can. The Wii also made gaming cool and accessible to complete non-gamers, which basically means that gamers are now seen as acceptable by norms!
    Anyhoo - the 360 is the best bang-for-buck at the moment, thanks to the new pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Biro wrote: »
    A balanced post at last!! The Wii is a great machine in that it actually is a product of thought rather than "how much hardware can we throw at a plastic box?". The lack of games is it's downfall, but then Nintendo can't write cheques like $ony and M$ can. The Wii also made gaming cool and accessible to complete non-gamers, which basically means that gamers are now seen as acceptable by norms!
    Anyhoo - the 360 is the best bang-for-buck at the moment, thanks to the new pricing.

In terms of Units Sold and revenue generated from Hardware Nintendo have been positively slaying the other two. Whilst the Big N dont have the huge corperate backing of the other Two, they can still write plenty of cheques.

the second half of 08 has been disasterous for Wii games but Q1 ad Q2 of 09 looks much more healthy. Much more for the hardcore (is this synonymous with FPS fans?) and core gamers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They're all shít. Megadrive for the win, anyone who says otherwise is a fag!!!!!11!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

They're all shít. Megadrive for the win, anyone who says otherwise is a fag!!!!!11!!!!!!

I bought a mega drive game (zero tolerance) a few months ago and an Atari Jaguar game (cannon fodder) in GAME a few weeks ago.

The scene is alive and well mannnnnng.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

WiS360

Advertisement