Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick query

• 20-10-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Quick query on undergraduate degrees and fees/grants. I started a 4yr honours degree in Nui Galway in 2001 however l graduated at the end of 3rd year with an ordinary degree as l didn't get the required grades for 4th year entry due to illness. I started a second undergrad degree in 2005 and at the time was told by the dept of education and my local VEC that l would be entitled to free fees again when l entered 4th year as it was considered progression. Anyway fast forward 3 years, I applied for my grant and fees and was again told l was progressing so l would be entitled to fees when l asked for information about filling in paperwork and giving documentation. Today I'm told by the VEC that my application is refused because l already have an honours degree and when l try to explain that l graduated with an ordinary degree after 3 years I'm told "it's still an honours degree" and that my application will be looked at again if l get documentation from NUIG. I'll be making a few phone calls tomorrow but just wondering as to whether anyone can shed a bit of light for me? Thanks, Mary

Comments

My understanding is that the original interpretation by the VEC is correct. It is possible that things have changed between the last few years, which is always a possibility. Keep in mind that you can appeal not getting a grant beyond the VEC - have a look on studentfinance.ie, there's information there about appealing.

It mightn't come to that but it's something to keep in mind. In the meantime get NUIG to state that it's a level 7 degree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Thanks Myth, will be making several calls tomorrow, both NUIG & Dept of edu to see what l can do

Advertisement