Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Dromina

• 20-10-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

is there anyone else here who is trying to get broadband in dromina in Co. Cork,have rand around to most providers i can find and nothing, the closest exchange wont be broadband enabled till spring 2009 at earliest so does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do,is there companies out there that will provide wireless bb if there is enough people interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Have you tried bbnet . I think there is another company in charleville but not exactly sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

no havent mate just going to have a look at the site now,again there is no hassle if i was in charleville but im in dromina so i get nothing at the mo its like the stone ages

Some crowd have a mast in charleville

is it digiweb?

Not sure but afaik no

• Advertisement

would love to know who it is as it might give me an option,dont think its digiweb either as they said they couldnt provide broadband for me

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Amocom may be able to sort you out?
    A bit expensive but might be worth a look.

just an update i have manage to get internet via the o2 dongle not the fastest in the world out here but it will do for now,there was a new company called bbnet who reckoned they could get signal out here but for 2 meg broadband it was 59€ a month and there was a 200€ installation and i could justify paying that much for broadband

ok its been over a year now and have to say the o2 mobile broadband has been crap,very very slow in the evenings and just a pain in general,the only other option i seem to have is bbnet im just wondering if there is anyone else round this area that knows of any other bb providers?
    I have emailed ripple com to enquire if they provide bb in my area
    Ill also be contacting permanet to see if they can provide in my area
    nova,airwave and amocom dont seem to cover dromia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

glic83 wrote: »
    ok its been over a year now and have to say the o2 mobile broadband has been crap,very very slow in the evenings and just a pain in general,the only other option i seem to have is bbnet im just wondering if there is anyone else round this area that knows of any other bb providers?
    I have emailed ripple com to enquire if they provide bb in my area
    Ill also be contacting permanet to see if they can provide in my area
    nova,airwave and amocom dont seem to cover dromia

I think Amocom have a mast in Freemount. When I try to check their page it takes me to Ripple and it seems they are one and the same. Their coverage map shows an orange dot in Churchtown which may be a mast. Hovering the mouse over this shows a circle (Coverage?) taking in Milford, Newtown and Charleville so that should be OK for Dromina.

I was with Amocom until I got DSL BB and I found them a little expensive but service was excellent. I was getting my coverage from a mast on Bweeng mountain but I don't know how far their coverage extends from there.

• Advertisement

well ill be ringing a few places and hopefully will have good news tommorow,what kind of package are you on and how much per month?

just said i would do a speed test this was at 12.06am and i have O2 mobile broadband surely this cant be classed as bb based on these speeds

701342489.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Saw a piece in the paper recently saying that North Cork was one of the slowest places for the broadband roll out, I'm outside Mallow, and this is the speed I'm getting - our package with Perlico is supposed to be 1mb, and they are gonna try and sort it 2moro. THough that was done wirelessly through a router, if I had it connected directly to the router I think it would be a bit faster! We needed a phone and BB package, pity I hadn't looked at this sooner!

http://www.ripplecom.net/coverage.php would cover Dromina alrite

701348823.png

well ill be ringing a few places and hopefully will have good news tommorow,what kind of package are you on and how much per month?

I'm on a 7 MB package with imagine but around 5 is the most I get which is pretty OK. When I was with Amocom it was rock solid 1 meg, and later 2 meg never really got less than stated. The price was the only problem, if not for that I would probably still be with them.

ok things are looking up turns out i could have 3 options available to me
    1) ripplecom:
    install €150
    39.99 pm-2mb down/512kbs up can be up to 40:1 contention but in thinks in my area would be more like 20/25:1
    no upload or download limits

2)permanet
    install - €144.40
    option 1) 23.89 -1mb - 10gb cap per month
    option 2) 34.85 -2mb - 20gb cap per month
    option 3) 44.81 -3mb - 30gb cap per month
    contention ration would be 20:1

just awaiting a call back from bbnet
    install - €99
    option 1) 2mb down/512kb up - €29.99 per month
    option 2) 3mb down/1mb up -39.99 per month
    unlimited download

if bbnet do provide i think they would be the best option price wise and for the best package,have anyone any good or bad experiences of bbnet,permanet or ripplecom?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

is there anyone else here who is trying to get broadband in dromina in Co. Cork,have rand around to most providers i can find and nothing, the closest exchange wont be broadband enabled till spring 2009 at earliest so does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do,is there companies out there that will provide wireless bb if there is enough people interested?
    did you checkout a website called www.getbroadband.ie its shows what broadband you can get in your area.

antod wrote: »
    did you checkout a website called www.getbroadband.ie its shows what broadband you can get in your area.

yeah according to that website there is nothing available in my area

can anyone recommend a good wireless router that doesnt break the bank it,if im going with any of the 3 companies i will have to get one to be able to connect to our laptops,cheers

can anyone recommend a good wireless router that doesnt break the bank it,if im going with any of the 3 companies i will have to get one to be able to connect to our laptops,cheers

You will need a cable router rather than a DSL router for your connection. Something like this http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME5842704 should do and Dlink are usually pretty good.

well have just found out that bbnet wont be able to provide bb in area for another 4-6 weeks so will be waiting till then an my contract with o2 doesnt expire for another few weeks anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement