Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car share scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

AudiChris wrote: »
    But do you not see the chicken-and-egg of your argument?

People wouldn't need cars if they lived in high-quality, high-density schemes within a city. Then you punitively tax the people who choose to use cars unnecessarily.

If you're going to tax people off the roads, you need somewhere for them to go!

I do but I am fed up of the circular argument. Nearly all the new apartments built in 2007 (new spacial requirments required good quality dual aspects)are empty. We are better off creating the circumstances where people will buy these apartments where you do not even need public tranpsort and thereby encourage developers to continue building in the many city centre sites still available. If we can create the push factor where it is more cost effective to live in smaller but better located residence we begin to solve the transport problem any way.
    I fully agree with teh arguments about tranport routes not been circular , and what is required is a low capital cost solution that provide regular and alternative routes around and through the city. This does not need to be metro. Why not set a target to improve tranport in six months. We could learn a lot from south america, india. Do all buses need to be new double deckers. What happened to the city imps

What a load of greenie Crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I may be talking out my arse but unfortunaltly for you every urban and transport planner in Europe is in full agreement with me. If you would like to check out the EU trasport policy I am afraid you are in for a bit of shock. Essentialy the car as a mass form of transport os over. Unfortunaly we are rather backward and insular here and because we only speak english only see the American , British and Uk examples all car based suburban sprawl. Our form of spatial planning owes more to US forms of dispersed sprawl. My viewpoint has nothing to do with being a green supporter.
    Unfortunatly basing urban planning on the car has made it impossible for Dublin to have a proper transport system . Whether you like that or not we have no choice but to reverse this and that reversal will be painful for you. This means making cities denser but more attractive. This means less cars more quality family apartments, better public spaces, more green spaces, safer streets where kids can play not car spaces. Tax is simply one way of driving this.
    Yes we can blame our planners policticians for the mess we are in now, however we elected the polictician in our own images. The planners only implemented what the politicians thought you wanted. Unfortunatly if the politicians are getting it right for once then the silly backward car drivers who bought into that lifestyle will have to pay and pay. What do you expect to happen when peak oil really hits. It really is for your own good in the end.

You are right about the urban sprawl, and that's not my fault, so why should I be penalised? I'd far rather they did it correctly like the European model, but typical Paddy Government style they did it arseways and now we have what we have. And you sitting on your high green horse saying we should be penalised for owning a car to overcome the Government's mistake is shortsighted on the other side of the fence. We elected the Government? I certainly didn't vote for them. In Limerick where's our light rail system to make everything accessable without the need for a car? They have cycle lanes here that just come to an end in the middle of no where, forcing any bike to cross the road carrying their bike over a kerbed grass area and risking their lives to cross to the correct side to proceed further.
    Live where there's public transport? There's 4 million people in Ireland, there's probably only half a million houses with regular and efficient public transport near by. (that might be over generous). What do you propose? Groups of families living together in box-houses?
    Greed has the place the way it is, Government, Developer and Bank greed. Simple as that. They make the mistakes, reap the rewards, and the rest of us get punished. Very fair altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

checkout

http://www.greenwheels.nl

I think their doing the same thing in the UK now too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The planners only implemented what the politicians thought you wanted.

I missed this statement first time round. What a load of cock. Since when did any planner or Politician ever do anything for the good of anything else only money? Smoking ban is the only thing I can think of.
    In any case they are the "professionals" employed to make the best decisions for the good of the Country and for good future planning. Whether we want it or not, that's what they should do so that we can thank them in the future for their long sightedness. Instead they're worried about popularity and votes so they do quick-fixes to make themselves popular.

victor1 wrote: »

What a load of greenie Crap

Why not go live in Ameeeriica .. (fu*k yeahhh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

craichoe wrote: »
    Why not go live in Ameeeriica .. (fu*k yeahhh)

And be surrounded by their equivalent of GP'ers here with their Toyota Smugs and Segways? No thanks...

MYOB wrote: »
    And be surrounded by their equivalent of GP'ers here with their Toyota Smugs and Segways? No thanks...

No no .. thats Califfooorrrnia .. (fu*k yeahhh)

Everywhere else they just rev engines for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Well done to the OP with a total of 5-6 posts to start such a stupid debate.

Mods can we have this closed down please.

It is a well known fact, while not documented, certainly talked about that for the last ten years, it was the developers who dicated where and what was to be built.

I have first hand experience so this - I can not disclose on a public forum.

OP, you are naive to reality of every day living and I can guarantee that you are from and live in Dublin, which demostrations such narrow vision that it sickens me to read such crap that can only be described as a **** stirring exercise to provoke a re-action.

The reasons for this are as pointed out already. But here are a few more:

Ireland is a rural country - yes we have a greater requirement for private transport. We will note from your own findings that other EU countries have a higher population density per sq km than Ireland.

Ireland has an under developed infrasture system that doesnt work. For example, work it out yourself how many trains or buses transfers it takes to get from some where like Shercock in Co. Cavan to Kilvara in Co. Galway. And the cost of such, because the reality is, using your own car is cheaper, than hiring one.

The other problem with this country is that every thing is located in Dublin.

When they where building the IFSC, why didnt they build it in Dundalk. Why didnt they spread the wealth and then develop the infrasture with it. Because when it comes down to it, the reality is the rest of Ireland can go fook themselves so long as Dublin has the best of everything.

I have no other way to get to work in Dundalk. and even if I lived in Dundalk, the local transport is so poor, I would still need a car to get to the shops because another great idea of developers was to build shopping centres on the outside of towns outside walking distance.

I have heard some crap in my time but this just takes the biscuit altoghther.

This is a forum for the appreciation of things motor and motor related.
    Please bring your idealogy non-sense to the political forum where no doubts smarter people than myself will enjoy themselves laughing at you.

Advertisement