Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs League Match Thread:Man Utd V Celtic [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

• 20-10-2008 10:01pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

6ozg6tw.png V zufon6.jpg
    UEFA Champions League
    Old Trafford
    Tuesday 21th October 2008
    KO - 19:45 BST
    Live on RTE2 ITV1

Should be a lively enough encounter, Evra is out, so looks like O Shea will keep his place in the starting 11, Brown will prob be back in also, in for Rafael,

2-0 to United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The fact that Celtic don't have any of their regular starting strikers fit is gonna be a big factor. I always expected a United victory, but think Celtic are gonna find it very hard and are going to be stuck hoping for half chances and set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Rooney to run riot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

McGeady Naka and Maloney(if they all play) to run riot. Can't wait to see all the Irish flags at Old Trafford...going to be epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looking forward to this!! Should be a fantastic atmosphere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I think the starting XI will be:
    1224538075212089.jpg

• Advertisement

LOL, what the hell is that?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Really looking forward to this game. Hopefully 3-0 to United. Heard Ronaldo probably won't be starting (quotes on BBC from Sir Alex earlier today) so Nani might be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I think United will win this one by a couple of goals even if Ronaldo is rested.

But for Celtic its pretty much win or bust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm going for 5-0 United, I think Celtic deserve a thrashing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Forza United. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

reckon Celtic will pack the midfield tomorrow night, and hope for a frustrating eveneing for Rooney and Berbatov. Hopefully no silly free kicks on the edge of the box.

I dont think this game will be open at all, I reckon a tight edgy dire affair until the first goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic to get a real bashing imo. I hope Fletcher plays though because Scott Brown will destroy him. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

PHB wrote: »
    I'm going for 5-0 United, I think Celtic deserve a thrashing :)

LOL, that would be just brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Forza United indeed!

Hope Rooney gives them a right going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

1224578817437804.jpg

Tevez will get a game, prob instead of Berba as Rooney is undroppable at the moment.

Based on SAF press conference I would say Nani is in for Ronaldo. With Park being withdrawn on Sunday I imagine he will play tonight.

O'Shea for Evra is a no brainer really.

Neville fighting Brown for Rb, I say Neville as he came on on Saturday.

Giggs playing 90 on Saturday prob means Anderson will come in for him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

3-0 United. Robson or Brown (Scott that is :)) to be red carded, and Naka to miss a free just to end a night of misery for Celtic.

Whether twinkle toes plays tonight or not is irrelevant, if Utd at home cannot beat this Celtic team by at least 2 goals tonight it'll be a bad result for them.

GlassHalfEmpty CSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

PauloMN wrote: »
    3-0 United. Robson or Brown (Scott that is :)) to be red carded, and Naka to miss a free just to end a night of misery for Celtic.

Whether twinkle toes plays tonight or not is irrelevant, if Utd at home cannot beat this Celtic team by at least 2 goals tonight it'll be a bad result for them.

GlassHalfEmpty CSC

Don't agree regarding the scoreline part. The group stages are all about getting through, nothing more. Pick up the points see ya's in the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

3-1 United.

Celtic are a "big game" team, and i reckon if they stop United scoring early on then it will be a lot tighter than people expect.

However United will be too strong and 2 goals in the last 20 will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think tonight is all about the pts , Like all Utd fans would love to see a 4 or 5 nil cake walk, But I would take a 1 nil right now if offered , Its all about getting to the knockout stages and the key to this is home games.
    Think Utd will play strongest team available ,
    Tevez on for Berbs is will not weaken the team (IMO) Once it does not change Rooney's playing position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hope McCourt gets on the Celtic team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The bhoys will put in a big performance tonight and get a draw, before we take all 3 in fortress Parkhead :pac: After getting 1 away point in 48 i feel the tide has to turn for us sometime, why not tonight? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

why not tonight? :pac:

Wayne Rooney thats why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I hope United kick forty shades of green out of Celtic this evening.

Des wrote: »
    I grew out of any liking of Celtic a few years ago. Love to see 4 or 5-0 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Trilla wrote: »
    I grew out of any liking of Celtic a few years ago. Love to see 4 or 5-0 tonight

Be careful now, according to the Bhoys fans on this board being Irish means you must have a soft spot for Celtic... You dont want to be upsetting them now....

Yeah right, get them pumped...! 5-1 United minus 3 goals, not a bad bet.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I reckon we could see Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez all start tonight.

VDS
    ----Brown---Rio---Vidic---Josh----
    Fletcher---Anderson

Nani---Rooney---Tevez
    Berbatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In that line up, switch Rooney and Tevez, I'd say you're spot on. But with Neville instead of Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Could be anything really, Evans could start, Rafael might get a look in.

Giggs could sneak in before Anderson, very hard to guess Fergusons teams lately.

Could see Tevez and Rooney up front, with Nani and Park on the wings, with Giggs/Anderson and Fletcher in the centre.

If there was ever a game to play Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berb then this is the one. Celtic are very very poor by CL standards away from home, you just have to look at their appalling away record in europe to see this. They possibly have the worst away record of any team in the history of the CL! They have no strikers. Celtic will just sit in and hope for damage limitation, I think our movement could destroy them 2nite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Enjoy watching River City/Eastenders/Corrie etc. tonight all ye huns and plastic huns. :D

FBK Kaunas FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tevez should start after not even making the bench against WBA

Haven't a clue about the rest really

Fergie said that he may rest Ronaldo though? If so then I'd have him on the bench anyway, ya never know...

Who are Celtic missing? Is Naka fit? Don't think Ven of Hesselink is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Trilla wrote: »

I would love to see United absolutely destroy Celtic tonight. I mean completely outplay them and put 4-5 on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

This has to be an Oirish Barstoolers' ultimate wet dream: Man U v Celtic in the Champions' League.

The half-and-half scarf brigade will be out in full force, trying to decide which one of "their" teams to cheer for....

United will walk it btw, Septic are way from the standard of United.

Enjoy watching River City/Eastenders/Corrie etc. tonight all ye huns and plastic huns. :D

FBK Kaunas FTW

Paulo, no surprise to see you bring Rangers into the forum discussion, what they have to do with a Manchester United Celtic match in the CL is beyond me......

Brewster wrote: »
    Paulo, no surprise to see you bring Rangers into the forum discussion, what they have to do with a Manchester United Celtic match in the CL is beyond me......

Ah lighten up FFS.

• Advertisement

Ah lighten up FFS.

Im nervous ahead of the big game....!

Pats 1 - 1 Bohs

Hey, I know we're gonna get pumped, but I'm in a great mood. I know twinkle toes is probably worth 3 times our whole team put together, but so what? This is Europe for Celtic. Anything - even UEFA Cup - after Xmas is a bonus. Last time we beat Utd I celebrated like we'd won the CL.

This is what it's all about - playing the best teams in Europe. Of course, it would be nice to have a couple of strikers available.

Can't wait for kick off. :D

Des wrote: »

:rolleyes:

I'd say there is more people in Ireland who think they are die hard united fans than there is Celtic.

Celtic are the New York Yankees for Irish people.

Come on the Hoops.

Dave! wrote: »
    Who are Celtic missing? Is Naka fit? Don't think Ven of Hesselink is

Celtic are missing Samaras (who's been in great form), Vennegoor, Crosas, and Caldwell has a stitched ankle so is a doubt but has been named in the squad along with Hinkel who also looked doubtful.

I think only a free kick realistically could see a Celtic goal. McGeady/Naka/Maloney will be dropping like flies. ;)

• Advertisement

i just want maloney and mcgeady to play well, and then maloney to point over at McCourt, and then 'lose yourself' starts playing out of nowhere...paddy mccourt comes on for Maloney, and scores a typical pat mccourt goal....

Be careful now, according to the Bhoys fans on this board being Irish means you must have a soft spot for Celtic...
    It's pretty tough to get away with blatantly making stuff up on the internet ffs. :D Provide proof of the above. :)
    This has to be an Oirish Barstoolers' ultimate wet dream: Man U v Celtic in the Champions' League.

The half-and-half scarf brigade will be out in full force, trying to decide which one of "their" teams to cheer for....

United will walk it btw, Septic are way from the standard of United.
    Trust me, there's not a lot of Celtic fans in this country. I wish people would actually believe me when I say that. :) You'd be doing well to find one person in Dublin that would have difficulty deciding whether their affiliation lies with Celtic or Man Utd tonight.

I don't know where all this comes from. I wish there was as many Celtic fans in this country as people say. Telling poeple in this country you support Celtic is like telling them you support a LOI team. "And who else?" is usually the next question.

Anyway, any news on Celtic line up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

3-1 United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Champions League Matches

Bordeaux v CFR Cluj
    Win-Draw-Win
    CFR Cluj @ 5.0

Inter Milan v Anorthosis Famagusta
    Handicap Betting
    Inter Milan -2.0 @ 2.30

Basel v Barcelona
    Win-Draw-Win
    Barcelona @ 1.50

Zenit St Petersburg v BATE Borisov
    Win-Draw-Win
    Zenit St Petersburg @ 1.22

Steaua Bucharest v Lyon
    Win-Draw-Win
    Lyon @ 2.20

Juventus v Real Madrid
    Win-Draw-Win
    Real Madrid @ 2.50

Fenerbahce v Arsenal
    Win-Draw-Win
    Arsenal @ 2.10

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina
    Win-Draw-Win
    Fiorentina @ 4.50

Man Utd v Celtic Money-
    Win-Draw-Win
    Man Utd @ 1.25

Tennis
    ATP Davidoff Swiss
    R Federer v B Reynolds
    Match Betting
    R Federer @ 1.02

Pays €1,397.15 for a 1.00 bet.

Highly unlikely but fun.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Rumour is:
    THG

Loovens/wilson(Hinkel out??)
    caldwell
    Mcmanus
    Naylor

Naka
    robson
    brown
    McGeady
    Maloney

McDonald.
    Strachen was saying the other day that he might have to play his young irish striker Cillina Sherridan.
    pleaseavoidarompingcsc ;)

EDIT: Hartley will probably play instead of mcgeady or naka.

Lyon, Cluj and Fiorentina are the results i'd be concerned about.

Apparantly Ferdinand won't start for United. Ronaldo will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I've a good feeling about this game. Whenever Celtic are expected to get a thumping in big games they play out of their skins. If we do go behind i would worry with a lot of our main strikers out of commission. A battling draw isn't beyond us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Actually, could any Celtic fans tell me how Marc Crosas has been getting on over in Scotland. Has he been given any game time and if he has, has he shown any moments of brilliance?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Actually, could any Celtic fans tell me how Marc Crosas has been getting on over in Scotland. Has he been given any game time and if he has, has he shown any moments of brilliance?
    He's looked good so far. He struggled a bit on Saturday but any playmaker would struggle in Inverness. Right beside the coast in an open stadium on a crap pitch. He most likely would have started tonight but done his hamstring so out for about 5 weeks. He gets the best out of Brown. Donati got the best out of Brown too when he was on form. He'll make it clearly but it'll take a while to judge whether he'll make it in the SPL. It can be one of the toughest leagues around for that type of player.

Brown, Crosas and Robson seems to be Strachan's preferred midfield with 3 ahead of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement