Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College registration fees protest march.

• 20-10-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hello all, two weeks ago there was a rally and a march in Cork with regards to the talks of bringing back college fees in general.
    In response to the massive increase of college registration fees by a whopping 2/3 in accordance with this years budget, a similar rally and march is taking place this Wednesday the 22nd from O' Connell street to Leinster house.
    Thousands of students from across Dublin and it's surrounding areas are taking part in the march and so should you!
    Meeting up at the Spire at half one and everyone is encouraged to join, (college student or not). If you feel that the increase from 900 euro to 1500 is unreasonable then show your support! (Dress up if you want, togas always welcome!)

From Maynooth there is a bus leaving from the SU at 12 and more bus' will be organised if needed. The bus is free but you have to sign up for it by going to the SU tomorrow at 5.

If you too think that this increase is prepostuous then do something about it, spread the word!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Togas and dress up? Bad idea. Thats just reinforcing the college stereotype.

Might as well bring along a 6 pack of Bavaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

"I want to protest about increased fees that will make it harder for other people to go to college by not going to college".

Great timing there, 1.30pm on wednesday afternoon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hell no.

Fees are completely necessary, more so now

efla wrote: »
    Hell no.

Fees are completely necessary, more so now

why? to help the government bail out the developers?
    with the 6.5 BILLION they intend to spend on a bail out college fees and medical cards are simply a diversion and it pocket money in comparison

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404215

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Yesterday was a strange day to hold the march as most colleges are off next week hopefully another protest will take place as we should not be the ones to have to pay for the mistakes of that bunch of wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

why? to help the government bail out the developers?
    with the 6.5 BILLION they intend to spend on a bail out college fees and medical cards are simply a diversion and it pocket money in comparison

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055404215

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I marched for WIT in early 2000, and it made sense then, based on the proposed conditions. (I also paid €300 registration my first year: since the 6.5 billion state backing was already legally implicit, I consider it even more offensive that they keep disguising 'free education' behind rising registration)

The thresholds seem reasonable - combined 120k for half fees with a projected 4.5 million return. Regulation, not abolition should be top of the action agenda

And it addresses other serious concerns - channelling ineffective civil service middle management into proper vetting, directing the money toward effective grants (a qualification scheme that is nothing short of nonsense as it stands)

I find it unbelieveable that people will get up in arms about something like this in the way that they are - I went through IT and University and have the good fortune to be working for the latter now. It sickens me that quarter of a million was absorbed by two new senior executive positions on the back of calls for an equivalent cut in mid-level teaching and a 10% hike in undergrad admissions.

If you're going to protest make it for something worthwhile. I am not generalizaing when I say uni attendance is overwhelmingly middle class - proper means tested fees and an effective grant and college administration are things worth campaigning for.

And this goes beyond college fees - 1%?? F**k it, take 2% of my income if it holds free healthcare for those who need it. Why not take to the streets for that??

After 6 years in third level on both sides of the fence I am as sick of reactionary pop lefty-ism as I am of bulls**t senior admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Solid Post.

Advertisement