Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

25grand on saloon car

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

hi

what about a Mercedes C180 K SE Estate - 2006 low miles - they are just about in your price range - most people dont consider something like this when the have around €20K to spend and think about the usual suspects of Audi, Passats, ect., but I think you get something well built and very practical and safe for around the same money. Obvioulsy fuel efficiency is not as good as other diesel models, but I think the car makes up for it.

Something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

decies wrote: »
    Thanks for your help anyway, opal chap did say( well he would wouldn,t he )the insignia specs would be hard to beat.Anyway food for thought.

Did the Opel chap also mention that the Astra is no longer available as a saloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Did the Opel chap also mention that the Astra is no longer available as a saloon?

You sure??

It was only launched as a saloon recently!

Opel Astra Saloon on Opel.ie

Re the OP's original question. 25k on a new saloon car....
    If I was in the market for brand new, I'd probably go for the TDi Skoda Octavia. Under 25k, good fuel economy, cheap road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LarWright wrote: »
    You sure??

It was only launched as a saloon recently!

Opel Astra Saloon on Opel.ie

Re the OP's original question. 25k on a new saloon car....
    If I was in the market for brand new, I'd probably go for the TDi Skoda Octavia. Under 25k, good fuel economy, cheap road tax.

But the Octavia is a hatchback...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

bazz26 wrote: »
    But the Octavia is a hatchback...:pac:

Oh yeah, crap, you're right.

Well, it looks like a saloon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hammertime wrote: »
    lol, I had one of these try to race me today on the N2.....

:rolleyes:

You have an A4 TDi yes? I can gaurantee you if it was actually a B4 and he was "trying to race" you, all you'd know about it is him getting smaller in front of you.

Biro wrote: »
    You have an A4 TDi yes? I can gaurantee you if it was actually a B4 and he was "trying to race" you, all you'd know about it is him getting smaller in front of you.
    Whilst looking like a boy racer fool in the process. Terrible looking car, no grown man could be proud to say the own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Whilst looking like a boy racer fool in the process. Terrible looking car, no grown man could be proud to say the own it.
    It may surprise you to hear that some people rate ability over looks in their choice of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Does Hammertime not have a Cayenne?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    It may surprise you to hear that some people rate ability over looks in their choice of car.
    Why not have both?

I thought he had a BMW 330ci

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Does Hammertime not have a Cayenne?
    Off the top of my head, even a Cayenne turbo would get eaten by a fast Legacy.

Why not have both?
    Don't you drive a Passat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought he had a BMW 330ci

Correct;)!
    Hammertime wrote: »
    Get that checked mate, I've a 330ci clubsport and I get 21mpg, and I drive like a lunatic !

I wouldn't be the biggest fan ever of Japmobiles but if people want a fast car that's reliable and doesn't care about looks, interiors etc then its hard to beat the Japs for it.

It's such a pity that practically all of the interesting Jap cars aren't offered in Europe and you have to get a JDM import instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1. Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Ambiente
    2. Mazda 3 1.6 D Touring.

Cant think of any other cars with a boot for that price

Yes you have the Astra but its ugly with a boot, and I love Astra's.

Jetta - its your money to waste but not a bad choice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, even a Cayenne turbo would get eaten by a fast Legacy.

Keep dreaming:

Subaru B4 RSK (2.0l Turbo 280bhp)
    0-60mph 5.9s
    0-100mph 15.9

Cayenne Turbo (4.5l Bi-Turbo V8 450bhp, upto 550 on new models)
    0-60mph 5.6s
    0-100mph 12.9

The Cayenne maybe a monstrosity, but in Turbo (S) form its undeniably very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

Well i did the ford garage not a helpfull bunch,went to vw and audi dealers ,didnt think the a3 was worth the money ,the jetta was alright in side,renault garage say new megane diesal out in 3 weeks.then went into the mazda garage i sat in a mazda 3 i was impressed with the interior around 24grand includind A/C,Any opinions on a mazda 3 why is so reasonably priced?
    Am even more confused lol .Should i definitly go for a diesal??
    Any views of the skoda?

Current Mazda 3 model has been around since 2004 and is coming to the end of it's run, there is an all new model out in the next 6 to 8 months so I reckon dealers will be eager to sell the current model.

Diesel model 3 costs around €1,000 more than the same petrol model. It is cheaper to tax, diesel is cheaper at the pump (at the moment anyway) and diesel cars retain more of their resale value than petrol models. If your doing only tiny mileage then diesel might not be worth it so do the maths.

Mazda 3 uses the Ford Focus running gear and the diesel engine from Peugeot/Citroen.

decies wrote: »
    Well i did the ford garage not a helpfull bunch,went to vw and audi dealers ,didnt think the a3 was worth the money ,the jetta was alright in side,renault garage say new megane diesal out in 3 weeks.then went into the mazda garage i sat in a mazda 3 i was impressed with the interior around 24grand includind A/C,Any opinions on a mazda 3 why is so reasonably priced?
    Am even more confused lol .Should i definitly go for a diesal??
    Any views of the skoda?

The 3 is reasonably priced probably because it doesn't have a VW badge. I'd go for the diesel 3 saloon. The new 3 is really a fairly big face lift, which I'm not gone on anyway. The All new 3 will be another couple of years away.

• Advertisement

Why not have both?

Ability and looks? Good idea. Let's see - 300-odd bhp and good looks. Something Italian? Too expensive. Something German? Porsche = too expensive. Opel is an option, VXR is still a bit dear. French? Back in the good old days maybe, not today. Spanish? Nope... Sweedish? You'd need to win Euromillions. American? Left Hand Drive.
    Or you could just go for something like the B4 till the bank balance rises a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The 3 is reasonably priced probably because it doesn't have a VW badge. I'd go for the diesel 3 saloon. The new 3 is really a fairly big face lift, which I'm not gone on anyway. The All new 3 will be another couple of years away.

I never been in the new 3, but there is more to Mazda's cheapness than "not having a VW" badge. Ive been in a new Mazda CX7, which is positioned several levels above the 3 and the interior is shocking. Its like they found a warehouse of that grey white 1980s plastic and put it everywhere (even the seats looks plastic). No SAT Nav or Parking sensors either in a EUR50k 4x4.

I would be on the same side as E92 on this one, if you want no frills (and no class) but solid underpinnings, go Mazda, Toyota etc etc. But its clearly "cheap".

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Keep dreaming:

Subaru B4 RSK (2.0l Turbo 280bhp)
    0-60mph 5.9s
    0-100mph 15.9

Cayenne Turbo (4.5l Bi-Turbo V8 450bhp, upto 550 on new models)
    0-60mph 5.6s
    0-100mph 12.9

The Cayenne maybe a monstrosity, but in Turbo (S) form its undeniably very fast.
    I stand corrected.:)

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I never been in the new 3, but there is more to Mazda's cheapness than "not having a VW" badge. Ive been in a new Mazda CX7, which is positioned several levels above the 3 and the interior is shocking. Its like they found a warehouse of that grey white 1980s plastic and put it everywhere (even the seats looks plastic). No SAT Nav or Parking sensors either in a EUR50k 4x4.

I would be on the same side as E92 on this one, if you want no frills (and no class) but solid underpinnings, go Mazda, Toyota etc etc. But its clearly "cheap".

The base spec Mk5 Golf (so I assume Jetta too) is as cheap looking as anything out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The base spec Mk5 Golf (so I assume Jetta too) is as cheap looking as anything out there.

No, it isn't. VW have spent years putting soft-touch plastics and damped grab handles into the Golf. It doesn't have a lot of kit, just as BMW and Mercedes traditionally gave Irish buyers bugger all as standard, but the materials are leagues ahead of the nasty, hard, shiny stuff that a typical Jap interior is made from.

Zube wrote: »
    No, it isn't. VW have spent years putting soft-touch plastics and damped grab handles into the Golf. It doesn't have a lot of kit, just as BMW and Mercedes traditionally gave Irish buyers bugger all as standard, but the materials are leagues ahead of the nasty, hard, shiny stuff that a typical Jap interior is made from.

Everyone including VW acknowledge that it's behind the Mk4 for quality. They're not wrong there. When I sat in one after they released it in 05 I couldn't believe how far it had dropped, especially seeing as how most of the buyers buy them for that reason alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

You could get a Golf GT 140bhp 1.4 for around 25500 on a straight deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

yep cant go wrong with a mazda 3 touring. Maybe im a bit biased cause i have one but can say ive never had a problem with it. I have the petrol but might be worth getting the diesel more power and less topping up at the pumps. Not sure how much the mazda 6's are?

Everyone including VW acknowledge that it's behind the Mk4 for quality
    I would find that very hard to believe. Why would a manufacturer talk down the quality of their new car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hi OP.

Have you considered the new Civic saloon.
    Roomy family car.

thumb-gallery2.jpg

Advertisement