Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading/Repair Packard Bell PC

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have to fix the girlfriends dad's PC at the weekend, he does not want to buy a new machine so I need to do the best I actually can with spare parts I have and easily avaliable parts. The trouble is it's a bit old. I suspect the RAM is faulty.

The machine is one of these, it wasn't my idea to buy it!
    http://support.packardbell.com/asia/item/index.php?pn=P660400761&t=1411

Now according to that website it can take up to 1GB, but the Packard Bell UK site says it can only take up to 512MB RAM and it does not seem to take any more than 512MB from my previous experience when I've put more RAM in previously.

To make it even more confusing, the Gigabyte site lists the same motherboard as taking up to 2GB as seen below. What is the correct one? I notice the Packard Bell site refers to it as a Columbia, what difference is there to a Columbia and the one on the Gigabyte site? is it simply PB have created a ram ceiling in their bios and I just need a different bios from GB?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1335

Now as for spare ram, this old crap 266MHZ DDR Ram is not easy to get hold of, I have some 300MHZ DDR ram from an old Celeron system, can I put this in the machine and it'll just run it at a lower speed? I know it's not getting the most out of the PC but I don't need this ram and it's just been sitting in it's case for ages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would be extremely unusual for a board like that to only take 512mb so I'd ignore the PB UK site. Maybe the board doesn't like certain 1gb sticks/configurations so PB say '1Gb' to cover themselves for 2x512mb. Not sure, someone else might know. The 300mhz stuff will work just at the slower speed.

Advertisement