Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eeepc wep issue

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I use my eeepc on my home network which is wep protected. Sometimes I cannot connect and invariably when I check the properties on the wireless network connection the wep which was ticked enabled is now disabled and the wep which was key in place is now not there. So i fix the settings but they only stay in place for a few uses. This is a proper pain in the hole. TIA for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

I use my eeepc on my home network which is wep protected. Sometimes I cannot connect and invariably when I check the properties on the wireless network connection the wep which was ticked enabled is now disabled and the wep which was key in place is now not there. So i fix the settings but they only stay in place for a few uses. This is a proper pain in the hole. TIA for any suggestions.

Linux or Windows?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Irrespective of you the problems you mention you should change your security to wpa anyway.

dub45 wrote: »
    Irrespective of you the problems you mention you should change your security to wpa anyway.

Still should be able to get basic WEP settings to stay dub45 changing to WPA may have the same issue but its worth trying!

What model WIFI card is in your EEPC? If you give me the type of wireless card and PID/VID in the device manager i might be able to help - I work for a wireless vendor whos cards go in a percentage of EEE PC's :) and im the FAE for Ireland :) ill check out our internal bug system to see if that issue is logged or fixed in a newer release

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Still should be able to get basic WEP settings to stay dub45 changing to WPA may have the same issue but its worth trying!

What model WIFI card is in your EEPC? If you give me the type of wireless card and PID/VID in the device manager i might be able to help - I work for a wireless vendor whos cards go in a percentage of EEE PC's :) and im the FAE for Ireland :) ill check out our internal bug system to see if that issue is logged or fixed in a newer release

Sorry I put it badly, what I meant was irrespective of the problem mentioned the security in the network should be changed to wpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I am using linux. The wireless card is an Atheros AR5007eg 802.11 b/g rev (01).

• Advertisement

:) Ok I know that card.

What model EEPC your got and what version of the Linux kernel are you using?

kernel is 2.6.21.4
    machine is i686

kernel is 2.6.21.4
    machine is i686

Thats an old enough Kernel Did you run updates? Mad-Wifi is what Atheros use and new Kernel versions have a number of fixes around WEP

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Thats an old enough Kernel Did you run updates? Mad-Wifi is what Atheros use and new Kernel versions have a number of fixes around WEP

You might be onto something there. I switched to desktop mode and performed updates 3 days ago and I haven't had the problem since. I also am going to switch to wpa as suggested by Dub45. Thanks for the help lads. I will wait a couple of days to see if the problem is resolved and let you know how I get on.

Advertisement