Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIT Canteen Food

Options
  • 20-10-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Whats everyones opinion on the food in the canteen in the main building? its gone way up in price this year and the quality of it is "questionable" to say the least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i wouldnt trust the meat there.. you can be lucky but one day I got this "special" lamb curry but it was filled with grizzle. of course its hard to spot the grizzle when its in a curry and thats probably why they put it in. almost more grizzle than meat i would think.

the chips are alright.. if you're hungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

i remember the mash potatoes were just instant mash a couple of years ago. havent got dinner in the canteen for the last year or so im not sure they still do that.

iv never really been a big fan of the canteen food but it was at least fairly cheap. if the price is gone up i dont think many people will bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is where my money is going every day. Price has gone up loads, quality has gone down. Coffee seems to include even more washing up liquid than before and gone up a good bit. The expensive coffee is just a replica of the cheap coffee. The tea bags have this greese that forms on top of the cup of boiling water, though that could be the dodgy water.

I packed a lunch for the first time in 4 years tonight, its time for a change ever since this evening when I was disgusted to pay 3.50 for a lousy lamb chop that consisted 75% bone + fat.

One thing I have to say though, is that one at the till is finally begining to say thank you and not fling the change into your hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I think there's a good few people bringing their own teabags now.. never tried the coffee there

i digg the freshways sandwiches though. the gourmet chicken ones are lovely. and still cheap compared to any other place even though they keep shoving up the price

towel401 wrote: »
    I think there's a good few people bringing their own teabags now.. never tried the coffee there

i digg the freshways sandwiches though. the gourmet chicken ones are lovely. and still cheap compared to any other place even though they keep shoving up the price
    I find that a lot of thoses sandwiches are kind of soggy at the edges though they are quite cheap to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

i'm happy out with the food here. can be rough, but better than what i'd whip up myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i think the food is pretty good in there. Most of the carvery stuff is decent. Stay away from the roast ham though, had it one time and it was mostly grizzle. the price isn't too bad either, €4.50 for a meat, mash and gravy is good.

I think its def way better than the Gala shop. I've eaten there 4/5 times. Got hot chicken rolls, rolls with sausages in them and everytime eating it I feel really sick and have to be close to a bathroom for the rest of the day. Stir clear of it at all costs!!

suppafly wrote: »
    yeah i think the food is pretty good in there. Most of the carvery stuff is decent. Stay away from the roast ham though, had it one time and it was mostly grizzle. the price isn't too bad either, €4.50 for a meat, mash and gravy is good.

I think its def way better than the Gala shop. I've eaten there 4/5 times. Got hot chicken rolls, rolls with sausages in them and everytime eating it I feel really sick and have to be close to a bathroom for the rest of the day. Stir clear of it at all costs!!
    Gala is bad alright, the chicken rolls are sick. Better off going extra distance to Texaco. They have lovely spicey hot chicken roles there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Gala is bad alright, the chicken rolls are sick. Better off going extra distance to Texaco. They have lovely spicey hot chicken roles there.

i don't mind the breakfast rolls in gala but iv had a couple of rolls with turkey from there and the turkey tasted fairly rotten. Texaco do savage hot chicken roll but its a bit of a walk.

Apache isn't that bad either if a bit expensive. Me and my buddies usually go there for lunch once a week for a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I always go to the sandwich place in the canteen and get toasties or paninis, they're pretty tasty. Have to disagree lads, I quite like Gala. It's just a pain in the ass to walk over to :) The cafe is alright as an occasional lunch venue, but you'd be broke if you went regularly.

• Advertisement

I always go to the sandwich place in the canteen and get toasties or paninis, they're pretty tasty. Have to disagree lads, I quite like Gala. It's just a pain in the ass to walk over to :) The cafe is alright as an occasional lunch venue, but you'd be broke if you went regularly.
    I dunno, that damn queuing system is crazy in Gala. I can't stand waiting around - you'd be gone to Texaco in the time. Must try out the cafe some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

welll i always thought the canteen food was made from those first years that had "dropped out". most of the meat there is dodgy and the chips are the only safe thing der really...

joulter wrote: »
    welll i always thought the canteen food was made from those first years that had "dropped out". most of the meat there is dodgy and the chips are the only safe thing der really...
    Yeah my class has the 1st years theory too.

Advertisement