Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography or talent?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Is geography or talent a more important factor when choosing a tattoo artist for you? Is it better to pick an artist that is in your county / province or is it better to employ a world class artist that you may have to fly to get to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Talent.
    It'll be on you for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

All my Tats are by the same guy, he is crap at keeping appointmnets, if i book in for 12, he might not start me till 2........

BUT at end of the day i am always delighted with what he has done, if he moved i would still travel to him.

So defo talent and not geography

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

talent. my next piece will involve a flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Talent, I don't think I'll be getting anymore work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

For myself, it would be about the talent for sure. I would travel almost anywhere within reason.
    The reason I started this thread was from reading something another poster put up about getting a backpiece done by a particular Dublin artist, it got me thinking who I would consider for such a considerable (and expensive) piece. I couldnt think of anyone I'd allow give me such a considerable tattoo.
    I dont think I'd have any issue with travelling to UK / France / Spain etc in order to get the backpiece I wanted. I dont belive in "settling" for an artist at the expense of getting the best. Its just something I think people should consider before getting extensive tattoos.

• Advertisement

I totally agree. I've got two people in mind for my back one in California the other in Berlin so either way I'll be traveling. Even just going to London opens you up to a whole new level and quality of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

which artist in berlin if you don't mind me asking? i'm heading there for new year's and would love to check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

Talent without a doubt! I have travelled outside Ireland to get tattooed 6 times in the last two years. With cheap flights and hotels it is well worth the effort to go to your choosen tattooist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

I totally agree. I've got two people in mind for my back one in California the other in Berlin so either way I'll be traveling. Even just going to London opens you up to a whole new level and quality of work.

It is Lu in Berlin you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holyshow

It would completely depend on the particular tattoo in question. If it wasn't anything amazingly difficult I would be happy to stay with my Dublin based tattooist rather than travel to get a big name that might do it marginally better but for twice the price. In saying that I do plan on splashing a bit of cash over in rotterdam when I get a chance.

• Advertisement

It is Lu in Berlin you have in mind?

Yeah. The guys colour work is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

You thinking of travelling over to California? Who's the artist and what style piece if you dont mind me asking?

Grimé I love his traditional Japanese stuff and if you check out his clothing line Black Claw he's got a shirt with a snake on the back that I'd love to have on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Talent , all the way

Advertisement