Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvd change of mind

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Whats the story with this if i change my mind and have the receipt and whatknot can i get a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They're under no obligation to give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

The quick answer to this is 'no' if there's nothing wrong with the product, have a look at this site:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/FAQs/Refunds_and_credit_notes/

Q1. Am I entitled to a refund for products/services that I wish to return after purchase?

This depends why you want to return the product. If there is a fault with the goods you have purchased, you are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. The question below addresses such instances and sets out the legal protections available to you.

Where there is nothing specifically wrong or faulty with the goods and you simply no longer want them for whatever reason, this is regarded as a "change of mind". You have no automatic entitlement under consumer law to a refund in such circumstances.
    Many retailers are happy to exchange or refund goods in these circumstances, provided you have proof of purchase and meet their terms and conditions. This, however, is a gesture of goodwill on the part of the retailer rather than a legal entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

thomasjad wrote: »
    Whats the story with this if i change my mind and have the receipt and whatknot can i get a refund?

Apart from the kindness of the store, you have no right or hope for any come back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not entirely accurate there folks. There is an exception if a product (or service) is bought online or from a catalogue, in which case it can be returned within 7 days of receiving it. See the explanation of Distance Selling regulations on OASIS:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/distance_selling

DVD's might be an exception, but if it's a reputable site they should have a policy published somewhere on their site.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it is a well known bricks & mortar shop you have a good chance. Has to be recently bought and in mint condition of course. Reasons I gave in the past were.

I got this as a present for my brother/mate but he had it already, can I swop it.

I was given this as a present but have it already, can I change it, I got the receipt from my granny.

I think HMV actually do have a no quibble returns policy within a certain number of days, i.e. no need to really BS them, they will just ask a reason for return so they can hit a certain code button on the till, all they really want to know is if it is damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

rubadub wrote: »
    If it is a well known bricks & mortar shop you have a good chance. Has to be recently bought and in mint condition of course. Reasons I gave in the past were.

I got this as a present for my brother/mate but he had it already, can I swop it.

I was given this as a present but have it already, can I change it, I got the receipt from my granny.

I think HMV actually do have a no quibble returns policy within a certain number of days, i.e. no need to really BS them, they will just ask a reason for return so they can hit a certain code button on the till, all they really want to know is if it is damaged.

seems a bit easy,
    what stopping people just buying a dvd, watching it and then looking for
    a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

seems a bit easy,
    a refund

dvds are mostly in plastic wrapping. if that's gone it's not in mint condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

A lot of stores actually do remove the plastic wrapping to take out the disc for security purposes. A number of DVDs are also delivered directly to the shop without any plastic wrapping at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

seems a bit easy,
    a refund

Nothing really. When I got my first single speed cd burner I did it in HMV quite a bit!, I thought they would cop and stop on once recorders got more popular, that is over 10 years ago now and it is still easy to exchange. People are proabably downloading the stuff now if they want it free.

I suppose it is worth their while or they would not do it, argos have a no quibble refund policy too. 30 days now.

I imagine HMV sell many albums that people are in 2 minds about getting, they only buy it on the basis it can be returned, and over half the time they probably keep it. So HMV are up a sale, and if it is returned it must be in a resaleable condition, so they still make a sale but loose out the small restocking cost.

Same with argos, I buy things I could get online a little cheaper, on the basis I can get a full cash refund, (I think HMV only exchange), I end up keeping about 50% of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gauge wrote: »
    A lot of stores actually do remove the plastic wrapping to take out the disc for security purposes. A number of DVDs are also delivered directly to the shop without any plastic wrapping at all.

well in that case there's nothing stopping people from watching it and returning it if the shop will take them back in that state

• Advertisement
Advertisement