Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair straightener in cabin?

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Flying on Sunday with BMI. Can you bring a hair straightener into the cabin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

if its a gas hair straightner the answer is know but if its the electric yes. but why do ya want to bring it into the cabin??? not much use for it cruising at FL310 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ha nah we're just heading for 1 night and are only bringing carry on baggage.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hunter164 wrote: »
    Ha nah we're just heading for 1 night and are only bringing carry on baggage.
    Thanks.

If its gas you will probably have to remove the gas cartage or empty the gas from the unit. I presume these would come under the same category as cigarette lighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

If its gas you will probably have to remove the gas cartage or empty the gas from the unit. I presume these would come under the same category as cigarette lighters.

You dont have to empty your cigarette lighter. I think security is getting lax again. I forgot to remove a bottle of water and toiletries from my carry on bag the other day and it went through the x ray machine without being spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

*Kol* wrote: »
    You dont have to empty your cigarette lighter. I think security is getting lax again. I forgot to remove a bottle of water and toiletries from my carry on bag the other day and it went through the x ray machine without being spotted.
    I got a pack of razor blades through last year unnoticed. Only realsied when I arrived home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

You can take a gas cartridge in cabin baggage but only if it is in the hair strightener. You cannot take additional cartridges or have any in checked in bags. However BMI may be different from EI and I'm not sure how the airport security people amy react to it.

Cigarettes lighters/matches are supposed to be keep on your person and not in any bags. This is is provide early warning of any spontaneous combustion.

I always carry razor blades throught security. I go through LHR security at least once a fortnight. If you pack it right it cannot be seen by the x-ray. Can still remember going through security at BOS in Oct 2001,they took 1 safety razor from the Captain of the flight. The reason was "for his security".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

do me a favour will ya, if it's with Ryanair....straighten them out a little bit will ya!

*holds in giggles....with big stupid grin on face:D*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

I got a pack of razor blades through last year unnoticed. Only realsied when I arrived home.

I actually got through with razors as hand luggage aswell, and it was in NY of all places...think it was la gaurdia

was just putting my watch and wallet n crap in my backpack and noticed the razors....makes it alot more difficult when you KNOW you have razors going through security in post 9/11 NY :D

Advertisement