Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzling RAM question

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've got a rather annoying problem with my computer and RAM. It's running XP, standard it has 2GB PC-3200 installed which is fine, but I have another 2GB of identical PC-3200 RAM to go with it. Now I have heard of the windows limit of 3GB, but the hardware will draw off the full 4GB when installed.

Now my problems arise when I run it with 3GB, the computer will work perfectly for about 45 mins - 1hr and then shutdown without warning.

When I have the full 4GB installed, it refuses to even boot :confused:

Can anyone at all help me ?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I've got a rather annoying problem with my computer and RAM. It's running XP, standard it has 2GB PC-3200 installed which is fine, but I have another 2GB of identical PC-3200 RAM to go with it. Now I have heard of the windows limit of 3GB, but the hardware will draw off the full 4GB when installed.

Now my problems arise when I run it with 3GB, the computer will work perfectly for about 45 mins - 1hr and then shutdown without warning.

When I have the full 4GB installed, it refuses to even boot :confused:

Can anyone at all help me ?

Cheers :)

Try up the voltage by .1 or .2 volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Aye could be a voltage issue, aldo try upgrading your bios too. Alot of older boards do not like running with 4x1gb sticks. Also, would be no harm to boot 1 module at a time and run memtestx86 on each stick to see if there are any problems.

Advertisement