Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant connect to wireless router

Options
  • 20-10-2008 11:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭

im having some major trouble at the moment with my BB connection.

im running NTL BB through a D-link 524 router and up until yesterday i was having no trouble at all!

i tried to connect my sony PSP to the router through the wi-fi connection and kept getting ip address timed out and i foolishly tried to change some settings manualy.

long story short, i lost my connection through the router and standard model.

i rang NTL today and went through a few things and got my BB working again through the model, so i then decided to try get my wireless back on the go.

its up and running now, im using it to log on here but as soon as i try edit the details and enter a WEP i lose connection and my laptop doesnt even pick up my router on a wireless search!

any ideas?

thanks.

EDIT - i just logged into my router there and renamed the SSID to my name and the connection was lost and i had to reset the router just to log back on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Are you editing the setting while wireless?

Regardless make sure you delete any saved network profiles - These save the wep key and and when you change setting on the router its still trying to connect with old settings so try that first!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Are you editing the setting while wireless?

Regardless make sure you delete any saved network profiles - These save the wep key and and when you change setting on the router its still trying to connect with old settings so try that first!

yes im editing the settings while being wireless, is that a problem?

how or where can i delete any saved network profiles?

im using a dell inspiron 6000 on XP.

kceire wrote: »
    yes im editing the settings while being wireless, is that a problem?

how or where can i delete any saved network profiles?

im using a dell inspiron 6000 on XP.

Yes its a small problem - Take this for example your connected over wireless with a WEP key of 1234567890 and its working fine.. if you change the settings over wireles to 0987654321 it will disconnect you because its still trying to use the pass key 1234567890 so it will not connect.. these settings are held in profiles

If you are using the XP manger if you go to change advanced settings bottom right on this screen

870702AF.JPG

Then you will see

870702AG.JPG

Just click on your preferred network and delete it close all the windows and connect like you always do.

If your using an intel or dell wireless connection manager.. its a little different but just dig though anywhere that holds a list of profiles or saved networks delete them and start again you will be fine

working perfect now, although its WPA2 security.

is that ok?

kceire wrote: »
    working perfect now, although its WPA2 security.

is that ok?

So did you delete all previous networks ya?

WPA2 Is perfect - little more overhead of bandwidth used but if your happy with the speed it perfect, If your not in a build up area I would use WEP if your surrounded by other wireless networks use WPA

• Advertisement

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    So did you delete all previous networks ya?

WPA2 Is perfect - little more overhead of bandwidth used but if your happy with the speed it perfect, If your not in a build up area I would use WEP if your surrounded by other wireless networks use WPA

Well when i do a wireless search, i can pick up at least 5 other networks, all secured though. i live in a corner house so i guess im picking up the networks from the junction of two roads.

although i have problem, when i put the laptop down for an hour or so, when i try to connect back up to the internet it states that i have no connection and i have to click on "try again" to get it going.

also the laptop seems to loose the wireless connection now quite regulary (sp), i will do a search and it wont show up but after 2 or 3 refreshes my router shows up and i can re connect to it.

and my final problem, when i get the littlw windows bubble in the bottom right hand corner of the screnn when the laptop connects to the router it has my routers name but in brackets beside it, it says unsecured???

Advertisement