Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork - any recommendations?

• 21-10-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am not very regular here, but I am thinking about a drive down to Cork. Could you recommend me some of the concerts this coming weekend?

I prefer easy listening mainstream jazz - it still has to be music for listeners, not only for musicians. Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, and the whole swing/jazz sound would please me.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I was actually just about to start the exact same thread. DAM YOU!! :D
    I actually grew up in Cork but never been to the festival. Thinking of heading down for the weekend also....

EDIT: I would be looking for more blues based music if anyone has suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

You'd probably like Kenny Ball's swing band, he had a hit with this:

Nice kind of raggy feel to it, very atmospheric.

Personally I'd be going to Cedar Walton and Lee Konitz - both would be great gigs. If you want to see some Irish talent Trihornophone are a must-see. Was at their album launch a few weeks ago and was very impressed, they're playing very well together at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am about to make my plans for the weekend tomorrow, however I am more than confused by lack of program. Is somewhere a little more logical list of venues/artists? I am really confused. I am thinking about Saturday or Sunday trip to bogland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Metropole Hotel is the place to be all weekend. Great bands - great vibe. I go every year with a group of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What is the name of the hotel nowadays?

I am even more confused... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

Gresham Metropole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Gresham Metropole

Metropole was real sh!t this year - they let waaay too many people in during the day and had waaay to many funk/soul bands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Went to see Phuse, a nu-jazz group from Dublin. They were very good and played support tp the North Strans Klezmer Band who play a type of gypsy/folk/jazz mox which actually gets ya dancing!

Then the big one for me, though it wasn't really jazz, was seeing Sweet Charles Sherrell at the Pavilion. What a legend of funk!!! He was bassist for James Brown and the influence was there for all to see.

Cracking weekend in all really, great buzz about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

next wednesday

It crosses into lots of different kinds of music but jazz more than anything else

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble at the Pavilion next Wednesday!

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble plus the Impressionists and Stevie G
    Live Upstairs
    Wed, December 3rd, 9pm
    €16.50(including booking fee)

Tickets for this event are available on www.tickets.ie and Plugd Records Washington St.

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble return to the Pavilion for another show next Wednesday night--they previously played here the same night as Jay Z at the Marquee, and they are so hot that Jay Z's band came along to check them out--musically, it's a live brass jam which combines hip-hop, jazz, soul and funk--watch out for an imprompto live street performance on Patrics street too!--They are a eight man brass ensemble from Chicago, of which 7 are the sons of Sun Ra Arkestra trumpeter Kelan Phil Cohran, the 8th member of the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble might not be connected by blood but is definitely part of the family. The creation of Hypnotic in 1999 represented the sons return to their instruments after a time of quitting music in their teenage rebellion years. The ensemble is four trumpeters, two trombonists, a drummer and a sousaphone player: Smoove (Trumpet), June Baji (Trumpet), Hudah (Trumpet), Jafar Baji (Trumpet), 360 (Drums), Elcid (Trombone), Clef (Trombone), L.T (Souxaphone).

http://www.myspace.com/hypnoticbusiness

also Doubletime with Gary Baus spinning the best pre World War 2 Jazz last weekend of every month on Fridays in the same venue (free entry into Jam after)

Advertisement