Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average wind speed and direction for Dublin?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Tis rare indeed that I ask something of you esteemed weather dudes, but now is the time. My brother is doing a wind turbine project for college and is looking for the average windspeed and direction for Dublin (ok, Dublin airport) in June and December. I know the average will be skewed because of diurnal variation, but even a best guess would be nice.

Any ideas or pointers? Much obliged!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not sure if this is any use to you Confab, but it gives a general idea of average winds:

http://www.met.ie/climate/wind.asp

climate_windmap01.gif

It would seem that Dublin has a more westerly mean flow, as Danno and Snowbie were talking about earlier, than the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Confab wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Tis rare indeed that I ask something of you esteemed weather dudes, but now is the time. My brother is doing a wind turbine project for college and is looking for the average windspeed and direction for Dublin (ok, Dublin airport) in June and December. I know the average will be skewed because of diurnal variation, but even a best guess would be nice.

Any ideas or pointers? Much obliged!
    I have some of that data on my website to compare with DAP if its any help to you.:)

http://www.irlweather.com/wxhistory.php

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From personal experience of having to cycle this city, I would say that the winds are mostly W to NW and around 10km/h. :)

Advertisement