Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the solas run(non sticky)

• 21-10-2008 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

i know the thread for this got moved to the event section, but nobody uses the waterford event sticky,i think at least 750-1000 ran it and you can add the stewards and ppl on the side of the road in the lashing rain cheering people on.

should it not get more recognition than being moved to an area that no one uses ? ??

im not trying to undermine the mods btw , i know sully is the usual one but we have a few new ones recently, just a thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you don't use the event section, shame on you daftdave.... thats blasphemy around these parts....:D

No I agree, something big like that could do with its own thread to highlight it, as like you I am convinced no-one reads the events thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I ran the whole thing myself and despite the weather, really enjoyed it...and done it a lot faster than I'd hoped for.

It was wonderful to see so many people out supporting the runners, but for me, the weird thing is that they were mainly on the outer-ring. There was no-one in the city cheering us on...absolutely no-one! Thought that was weird. Once we passed Smyths, that was it...no support until WLR!

I managed to get home before the really bad rain, so fair play to all those who walked the route - they would've been drenched.

Having said that, we were running / walking in aid of a centre that supports folk whose outlook on life may not be as bright as the outlook we had on Sunday (and that was far from bright!). So, to complain about the weather would've been missing the point.

I'm so glad they reached their target of 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As I live a few miles up the road I wouldn't be aware of the magnitude or the importance of the event or whether it deserves its own thread or not so I will leave this one to either Sully or Fajitas!.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The idea of the events page was for smaller events rather then larger ones which would have their own thread. Its to list upcoming events, and probably not geared towards a discussion (since the larger events would have a thread of their own). Was not at the run myself, and heard little about it in the press so was unaware it was a large event so I moved it to the Event thread - which does get used and will be continuing to operate. :)

Ill leave the thread open, since it seems to have been a large event which people want to discuss. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I was hoping for the 1hr 40 but managed to knock over 10 mins off the time so I was happy enough! I just about hit the €500 mark so all in all, a good days work.

I was delighted to see some people on the outer ring road cheering strangers on and it really did make a difference. Its a pity once we got into the city centre there was pretty much zero support for the runners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

i did the run on sunday and despite the weather it was a really good buzz. There was good support on the main road..like the others said once you got passed the orange segments people there was very little support in town.

I think wlrfm are going to post the times on their website at some stage. A minor grumble is that the communications before the event was unclear - maybe next time there could be online registration and it wasn't obvious that you didn't really have to raise 500 - that was just a target.

Also, it would be good if there was somewhere to go for a drink afterwards
    i think there is a big appetite for these kind of events - so hopefully they'll run it again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

asimonov wrote: »
    i did the run on sunday and despite the weather it was a really good buzz. There was good support on the main road..like the others said once you got passed the orange segments people there was very little support in town.

I think wlrfm are going to post the times on their website at some stage. A minor grumble is that the communications before the event was unclear - maybe next time there could be online registration and it wasn't obvious that you didn't really have to raise 500 - that was just a target.

Also, it would be good if there was somewhere to go for a drink afterwards
    i think there is a big appetite for these kind of events - so hopefully they'll run it again....

I believe they said the times would be on the website about 5 days after the event. A couple of girls I work with didn't quite have the €500, but had in excess of €400 each. When they went up to register, the girl at WLR shook her head and made a comment like 'could you not have raised the €500?'. Sad!

I thought the supply of bottles of water was a waste (for the runners anyway). No runner will drink that amount of water during a race. It wasn't ideal to see almost-full bottles thrown on the grass verge of the ORR. Totally agree with you about the drink afterwards. After the national half-marathon, tea and sandwiches were provided. I assumed something similar would've happened after this run, especially as they had a large marquee. There was mention of food and drink out in the Woodlands, but most runners would've gone home and changed and stayed there, rather than go back out to the Woodlands.

The only other observations I have are:
    - A serious lack of mile signage. I think the 5m one was the only one placed accurately too!
    - Lack of stewards in the city. I had to depend on traffic to cross the junction at Catherine St. Also had to depend on the good nature of drivers to allow us to cross the road by Grange Cove.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it and hope they do it againg next year!

Advertisement