Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED Lights, what's wrong with you people?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

OK here it is, I can stay silent no more. What the hell is going on with drivers going through Red lights in the city? It's unbelievable. And it's getting worse. Before it used to be a case of "ok it's ging orange, I'll make it through". Now it seems to be " ah sure tis only red a few seconds, by the time the cars on the other side of the lights get going, I'll be well through". I know we've all run through a border orange/red once or twice, but now the lights are clearly red and 3 and 4 drivers are still going through. I nearly hit someone last week over it and I got the bad look as if to say "Hello, Can't you see I'm ahead of you".Couple of the worst places I've seen are the ones just up past LIDL on childers road leading to the crescent and the ones down by the corner near the Grannary. Any thoughts???:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Don_Cookie wrote: »
    OK here it is, I can stay silent no more. What the hell is going on with drivers going through Red lights in the city? It's unbelievable. And it's getting worse. Before it used to be a case of "ok it's ging orange, I'll make it through". Now it seems to be " ah sure tis only red a few seconds, by the time the cars on the other side of the lights get going, I'll be well through". I know we've all run through a border orange/red once or twice, but now the lights are clearly red and 3 and 4 drivers are still going through. I nearly hit someone last week over it and I got the bad look as if to say "Hello, Can't you see I'm ahead of you".Couple of the worst places I've seen are the ones just up past LIDL on childers road leading to the crescent and the ones down by the corner near the Grannary. Any thoughts???:mad:

A real problem, but one not confined to Limerick City alone. As a driver be always expecting the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You people? What do you mean "you people"? :)

Yeah, no point in singling out Limerick people on this... its widespread around the country. Just stay alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I think it's a fair enough gripe, even if it does go on all over the country

I was 3 cars back from a crossing,near the top of Mulgrave St, lollipop lady out doing her thing, by the time her charges were across the road the light had gone red anyway, ghoul in the first car decides to go even though the light was still red, narrowly avoided side swiping another car just cos he was a moron!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

An Fhile wrote: »
    A real problem, but one not confined to Limerick City alone. As a driver be always expecting the unexpected.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Came across it yesterday morning on Sarsfield Bridge heading out the Ennis Rd. I was second in line, lights were red and the car in front, seeing cars coming across from the Ennis Rd end onto the bridge, decided to nudge forward. I flashed my lights - no reaction. Then they decided to drive right across the junction despite the red light.

There's never a traffic cop around when you need them is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

probably the same people that haven't a clue what indicator lights are for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Very very common in Dublin as well. Scary stuff, you'd wonder whats going through these peoples heads, if anything. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Don_Cookie

Mr E wrote: »
    You people? What do you mean "you people"? :)

Yeah, no point in singling out Limerick people on this... its widespread around the country. Just stay alert.

I live and drive in Limerick, therefore cannot comment on other parts of the country. If it is as bad everywhere else, then please extend my original rant...!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Consider it extended. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

I can see where it might be necessary for a car that's turning right to maybe have to break the red light. Take Hassett's Cross junction, car turning right moves out onto the box and take up position to run right when safe to do so, oncoming traffic doesn't allow the car to turn, lights go amber for traffic travlleing in both direction, car turning right prepares to move off once oncoming traffic stops but one more car squeezes thro' on amber/red and the misfortunate car that was almost first onto the box is left there having to make the right turn on red.

Not condoning breaking red lights just giving examples where one might have little choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pshan wrote: »
    I can see where it might be necessary for a car that's turning right to maybe have to break the red light. Take Hassett's Cross junction, car turning right moves out onto the box and take up position to run right when safe to do so, oncoming traffic doesn't allow the car to turn, lights go amber for traffic travlleing in both direction, car turning right prepares to move off once oncoming traffic stops but one more car squeezes thro' on amber/red and the misfortunate car that was almost first onto the box is left there having to make the right turn on red.
    Not condoning breaking red lights just giving examples where one might have little choice.

My brother failed his driving test for doing exactly that. The examiner's hands were tied as the red light thing is an automatic fail. He got through the test without any trouble the second time around, and is a better driver for it. Maybe if more people were forced to learn the rules properly they'd end up as better drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

My brother failed his driving test for doing exactly that. The examiner's hands were tied as the red light thing is an automatic fail. He got through the test without any trouble the second time around, and is a better driver for it. Maybe if more people were forced to learn the rules properly they'd end up as better drivers...

A family member of mine had the very same situation at Hassetts cross during a driving test (for a bus) and passed the test. He asked the tester about the situation afterwards and the tester said "you were commited to your move and you are allowed to proceed with caution".

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

He shouldnt have failed for that! Unless of coarse he followed another car into the yellow box. Your supposed to stay behind the white line until the car in front has made the turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Why do the Local Authority paint boxes (for right turns) if you're not allowed enter the junction until way is clear? The first car on the right lane enters the junction, takes up the correct position (on the panited box if provided), waits for break in oncoming traffic then turns right when safe to do so. The next car in the right lane stays put behind the white line until their way is clear to enter the junction.

My point was if your sitting waiting to turn right and oncoming traffic continues to flow through even on amber you have little choice but to break the lights or block the juction for traffic coming left and right on the next turn of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One shouldn't get a grade 3 fault in that situation (all else being equal)!

Once the driver has moved into the junction, they are no longer 'controlled' by the lights and may turn right if safe to do so even if the light is red.

A green light does not automatically mean one can go. One may only proceed IF THE WAY IS CLEAR and it is safe to do so.

Why do the Local Authority paint boxes (for right turns) if you're not allowed enter the junction until way is clear?
    By 'way is clear' they mean that the road/street one intends to turn into is clear.

If traffic is backed up, the driver must not enter the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

By 'way is clear' they mean that the road/street one intends to turn into is clear.

If traffic is backed up, the driver must not enter the junction.

What happens if the road backs up while your waiting on the junction to turn right.

Anyway, the boxes are for drivers to take up the correct position to turn right. The are used at a few junctions in Limerick. The first car in the queue moves onto them, the remaining traffic should wait at the traffic lights till the box is free or if they get a filter light.

phog wrote: »
    What happens if the road backs up while your waiting on the junction to turn right
    The regulations can't possible cover every scenario. Common sense should prevail also and the use of the phrase "in so far as possible...".

Advertisement