Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government U-Turn on Medical Card 95% to keep them

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd go with economies of scale for starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Breezer wrote: »
    Older people are far more likely to have chronic disease and/or multiple acute infections, costing a lot more money to treat. I'm not saying the limits applying to middle aged or younger people are necessarily fair either though. Means testing as applied in this country is generally a recipe for disaster.

you forgot to mention that old people are far more likely to vote and vote FF

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

irish_bob wrote: »
    you forgot to mention that old people are far more likely to vote and vote FF

exactly... so if people are pi##ed off they should vote instead of whining.. it annoys me when people across the country whinge about the government and when you say well vote then they reply but sure what difference would voting make!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nesf wrote: »
    Give them a few terms in Government during the good times and believe me you'll see history repeat itself. When tax revenue keeps going up, costing of projects becomes more and more lax, such is the nature of these things. It's rather similar to boom mentalities in markets in some ways.

No argument in that. My point is that the political makeup of a FG/Labour government means that they'll come at it from a different angle and this thing would not have arisen. But we'd have seen the same characteristics of parties too long in Govt.
    Voipjunkie wrote: »
    I am not picking on FG for criticising the Government my criticsim is based on the their lack of any consistancy
    Of course FF have made an utter mess of not just introducing the universal card but also their attempts to get rid of it.
    But FG last week believed that universality of the over 70 medical card was wrong and a waste of resources yet this week they are all for bringing it back.

By all means FF should be hung out to dry for the cack handed manner in which they tried to change the card and the clear lack of any thought for the implications of that decision. But if FG believed that universality was wrong last week surely it does not become right because FF suddenly see the mess they foisted on the taxpayer 7 years ago.

You can oppose the manner in which the decision was implemented you can oppose the terms of the means test but surely you should not be for universality just for the sake of it.

Whether we like it or not the previous system that FF introduced was unsustainable there is plenty of hay to be made from that without arguing for a return to it

If we get down to that level of microanalysis of political parties then we'd end up with no government. From a political point of view opposing or not being wholeheartedly behind a very ill-advised idea is not the same as saying that it will be scrapped. Nor does it mean that they are against the idea of universality. Personally think universality is a fundamental social requirement but not at any cost.

On a scale with the dim-witted FF action it's more a case of minor "mispeaking". There is no political capital nor moral justification for removing it now that it is there and they would not do so. I doubt if it would be a key point for most voters in deciding between parties. From what is transpiring at present the opposition just need to appear to be in touch with the electorate and let just FF commit hara kiri.

As Reilly said himself the medical cards issue is a "fait accompli" and not to be touched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Great to see Ireland standing up for a change.
    <snip>

-nesf

If you want to advertise a new forum, then pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

Conflicting answers to numerous question to the HSE ,recently, vis-a-vis the new medical card coming in 1st January 2009, has me more confused than when I started! I think I will qualify but my figs are tight to the cut off point ie 1400euro. Can anybody give me AN EXAMPLE of a medical card calculation as per the new critiria beginning 1/1/09. Gross income (on interest) on one's investments seems very difficult to access. Canada Life, New Ireland, Standard Life, - they are all so different. Interest has fallen seriously over past four weeks. Do they mean interest for year 2008 which is now distorted when compared to today? What happens if I have 72,999 euro invested? (Married couple allowance 73000euro) If an investment has deteriorated by 33% recently has the interest been reduced accordingly? Its all so confusing. Many thanks, Michael r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Conflicting answers to numerous question to the HSE ,recently, vis-a-vis the new medical card coming in 1st January 2009, has me more confused than when I started! I think I will qualify but my figs are tight to the cut off point ie 1400euro. Can anybody give me AN EXAMPLE of a medical card calculation as per the new critiria beginning 1/1/09. Gross income (on interest) on one's investments seems very difficult to access. Canada Life, New Ireland, Standard Life, - they are all so different. Interest has fallen seriously over past four weeks. Do they mean interest for year 2008 which is now distorted when compared to today? What happens if I have 72,999 euro invested? (Married couple allowance 73000euro) If an investment has deteriorated by 33% recently has the interest been reduced accordingly? Its all so confusing. Many thanks, Michael r.

if your not sure as to whether you still dont qualify for a medical card then you can more than afford to pay for your doctors visits , the threshold is massive since the new changes

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

irish_bob wrote: »
    if your not sure as to whether you still dont qualify for a medical card then you can more than afford to pay for your doctors visits , the threshold is massive since the new changes
    Thanks Irish_Bob - I reckon I must be over to be asking the question in the first place. So be it. My loss is another's gain. Thanks for quick reply, Michael r.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

podge79 wrote: »
    exactly... so if people are pi##ed off they should vote instead of whining.. it annoys me when people across the country whinge about the government and when you say well vote then they reply but sure what difference would voting make!!!!:mad:

Or my personal favourite. Ask them who they voted for and they will say-"FF, but they are all the same so what does it matter".

Advertisement