Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime entitlements

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My bf is works 37.5 hours per week (Mon-Fri). He will be off on the Bank Holiday Monday as the store is closed, but has been asked to work a full day the Saturday after the Bank Holiday. How can he be expected to be paid? Because he only actually works 4 days that week (being off the bank holiday), will he get overtime for the Saturday or can the store say no because he only worked 4 days that week?

Tks all

(am posting anon as I know certain other people frequent here :) )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

afaik, the public holiday is classed as a day worked in this case.
    not 100% sure of it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SteveC wrote: »
    afaik, the public holiday is classed as a day worked in this case.
    This. What ever he will be paid/given for Saturday will depend on his contract in regards to overtime compensation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hannahmum

The Sat is overtime. If he did not work the sat, he would still get a full weekly wage. Therefore, if he works the sat- it should be paid at the 'overtime' rate- whatever that is. If they try to tell him that the sat is just paid at 'basic' rate then they are trying to take advantage. I assume this is the issue- overtime rate v's basic rate of pay??

My employees (that I pay- I am not the boss!) dont have an overtime rate- they just get an hourly rate regardless of hours worked. So in my case, an employee who works Tues- Fri in an bank holiday situation (32 hrs), still gets paid for a 40 hour week. If they work the Sat as wekk, then they get paid 48 hours. But its all at standard rate.

So... if he has an overtime rate- he should get paid this for the sat. If its all just paid at an hourly/basic rate, then he should expect to be paid for 48 hours (or 6 days) for that week. OR they might give him an extra day off the following week, and no extra pay....

Hope this helps. Hard to answer without all the info...

Advertisement