Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco not the cheapeset for petrol anymore?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

tesco tullamore used to be in line with some of the cheaper petrol sellers in the country but in the last few months since the disapperance of statoil as supplier they have been at least 3 to 4c dearer than what you can get it for in dublin. Is this a nice cosy start of relationship with the new supplier(i think its wincanton on the trucks) that they agree not to sell it lower than they used to with statoil. anyone else have experience of tesco increasing their prices lately.??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

yup down in Wex town on Saturday night and the price of petrol was 1-2 cent above the other garages nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

In Dublin they haven't been cheapest in some areas for a long time, it always pays to shop around and not assume that Tesco is always cheaper, certainly not in my experience anyway.
    Plus the prices in various stations are like yo-yos, one day station A is cheapest, next day it's far from competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Another thing I don't get about Tesco is the price variance between different stations. If they can charge the same price for bread in all their shops, why can't they charge the same price for petrol in all their stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Tesco's supplies come from Esso and have done for quite while.

Prices in Maxol, athy, co. kildare - 112.9 for petrol & diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

darc wrote: »
    Statoil, I thought?

Anyways, 119.9 for Petrol/Diesel in Tesco Finglas yesterday. Most other garages around Dublin selling same for 118.

Clubcard me hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In Waterford they are undercut by at least one other station - Autoport. Not sure what the current price differential is but twas about 7 cents.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jor el wrote: »
    Another thing I don't get about Tesco is the price variance between different stations. If they can charge the same price for bread in all their shops, why can't they charge the same price for petrol in all their stations?

I thought most chains do this. e.g. statoil or topaz or texaco might charge the same for bread in all their petrol stations, but petrol will change between them. I always figured it depended on property costs, potential customers in that area, and delivery costs of the petrol. Seems a lot fairer that they are not fixed. I would sooner be asking why bread is not cheaper in some tescos.

Just the way it always is I suppose, petrol prices change frequently, while shopping prices do not as much, so the benfit accounts wise having all stores the same for advertising and accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Tesco will charge as much as they can in each particular area, in mayo the pricing is agressive yet in galway its not.

it depends they basically open up and then try to put as many of the smaller stations out of business asap, then put their prices up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

the guy who runs the place is a gimp, the price will only last for 1 to 2 days he will then hike it up higher, like normal, but when you go in to pay if the guy who runs the place is there, he will be smarmy and say so i take it your here just because the price is cheap.
    i for one will never us this place and always stick with king oil, i know its now 5c dearer than the maxol, but they are great bunch who work there alwsays smiling and always fill the tank for you.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is this a nice cosy start of relationship with the new supplier(i think its wincanton on the trucks) that they agree not to sell it lower than they used to with statoil.

Wincanton is a transport company which delivers for statoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I paid 126c/litre last week in Tesco Dundrum for petrol...on my way home I saw it for 119c in Maxol Harolds Cross :-(

eth0_ wrote: »
    I paid 126c/litre last week in Tesco Dundrum for petrol...on my way home I saw it for 119c in Maxol Harolds Cross :-(

Seen 114.9 for diesel and unleaded today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Statoil, I thought?

Yup, at least as far as I know - Topaz these days of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

This evening I saw

114.9c/L - Texaco Kylemore Rd
    117.9c/L - Independent Station Sarsfield Rd
    127.9c/L:eek: - Maxol Crumlin

I haven't seen this level of disparity in prices in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Last Thursday night, Tesco Wexford €1-26 nearby drinagh forecourt €1-19 and another forecourt €1-15.

So Tesco were 11c dearer than cheapest. Tesco put price down over weekend but still one of the dearer places in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's bizarre, isn't Tesco petrol's selling point that they will undercut all the stations nearby?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Keep an eye on this site.

http://www.pumps.ie/

It's normally pretty accurate for the petrol stations I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Shelflife wrote: »
    Tesco will charge as much as they can in each particular area, in mayo the pricing is agressive yet in galway its not.

it depends they basically open up and then try to put as many of the smaller stations out of business asap, then put their prices up again.

This charge was levelled at Tesco by the indigenous petrol retailers when they first opened up here and it has turned out to be true. For example, Tesco in Maynooth undercut the existing Maxol and Esso stations by up to 5c a litre in the early days that forced the others to cut their prices to within a cent of Tescos but now Tesco is dearer than the other two - probably trying to make up for what they are losing on their food margins while trying to match Lidl.

Now if only Lidl would open a petrol station. I wouldn't mind having to suck the petrol out of a large plastic tank and spitting it into my fuel tank if it was as cheap as their food!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

so its now topaz supplying tesco having taken over statoil? price in tesco tullamore is 119.9 today. thats at least 3 to 4c dearer than it was when tesco were following the sell it extremly cheap model in tullamore. i.e they would be selling it for 116.9 or so if they hadnt have changed policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Tesco have the financial muscle to put most filling stations out of business by undercutting prices until they put their competitors out of business.

now some people may think thats the natural way of business but when they have all the competition gone they put up the prices --as they have done in then uk.

its a bit like letting the u16 team take on the u12s.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Think the best I seen was 115.9 Maxol Harlolds cross yesterday

Thats exceptional as most Maxols are mad money often 123.9 or more

Lots of stations like Texeco Esso Shell etc in Dublin about 119.9 and dropping

Me I pay only 1 Euro per liter for E85 fuel from Maxol even though my car isn.t sopposed to be able to work on it it humms along fine on that fuel

Best mixes I found was 1/3 rd tank normal fuel E5 and 2/3 tank of E85 but the car will work with a 100% E85

Car is 1998 Suziki Swift non flex fuel car which seems to be a flex fuel car with no modifications or E85 convertion kits

Internet seems to think lots of makes of cars will also quite happily run on cheaper E85 fuels

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Cheaper in Clonmel

This afternoon

Unleaded Petrol
    Tesco €1.149
    Vivo on Waterford road roundabout €1.139

If you take the clubcard points into consideration then Tesco is slightly cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Can anyone explain why generally the south east has the cheapest fuel?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why generally the south east has the cheapest fuel?

Stab in the dark, that its brought onshore close by? I would have thought that dublin port would be the main incomer though

Advertisement