Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed is Vodafone 3G Broadband?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Vodafone 3G Broadband with E169 Stick Modem, What is the best speed in a country area 8 miles from Dungarvan, Co. Waterford?

What would beat it on speed/price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

askU wrote: »
    Vodafone 3G Broadband with E169 Stick Modem, What is the best speed in a country area 8 miles from Dungarvan, Co. Waterford?

Only you will know as it depands on your location and setup etc, and Voda 3G is not broadband it is mobile internet access which is sometimes high speed.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

averages about 500Kbps for me on a good day but comes and go very unstable, better off getting a proper line connection if thats available in your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Clareman08

Agree with previous posts, but be aware that performance can also be bad even with a strong 3G signal. I'm in a rural area (West Clare), but not too far from a Vodafone mast and getting a good 4/5 bar signal using E220 modem. It started off pretty good early this year, but gradually got worse over the months to the point where it became unusable at all times and I was about to bin the whole thing and go back to dial-up. It wasn't so much an issue of speed, but more constant stalling and freezing - short bursts of activity and then death in the middle of doing things. Wouldn't recommend doing too much online banking around here! I was advised by Tech Support to switch back to GPRS to get things to work, which meant going back to dial-up speeds at broadband prices.

Having said that, something seems to have happened in the past few weeks and 3G/HSDPA seems to be working fairly OK again. Vodafone must have carried out some sort of upgrade to their network. Anyone know anything about that? Wonder why they don't keep their customers informed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

askU wrote: »

The coverage map for the vodafone broadband can be found here, needs to be 3g covered http://www.vodafone.ie/coverage/index.jsp

Also it is a free trial of 2 weeks as far as I can remember so you can try it out to see how it works and get back your 100 euro for the modem if it you decide to return it. But as the previous posts mention it is not very reliable so you should look out for line connection before you decide to try it.

I have been using it in 3 different places and the performance is more or less the same, same problems with pinging the connection. Most of the time i just let a youtube video play on the background so the connection stays on all the time so I can check emails, etc.

Advertisement