Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in a hotel near cork Airport

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im going on two weeks holidays flying from cork,
    The airport charge crazy car park prices for two weeks so im thinking about parking the car in a hotel in cork and getting a cab to the airport,
    Can anyone recommend ways to go about this?
    I live in limerick and dont know cork too well,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Best not, they will clamp the car and then you will have another €120 odd to get it back plus storage if they have it towed away, if you think the charges are bad here you should see Shannon, they are outrageous for flying from that barn.

BTW it is DAA who set the prices because they still control the airports.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

The International Airport Hotel? The one that has been an asylum seekers accommodation for the last five years or so?

Worked during the Airport construction up there, and I can tell you they patrol those car parks like their lives depend on it, you might get away with it for a few days but two weeks is pushing it.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There are private car parks in Cork City, which are likely to be cheaper. They are nowhere near the airport, but you could maybe park your car in one of those and get a taxi up to the airport. I think there is one on Alfred Street, near Kent (train) Station. I am not sure if you could park longer than a weekend at the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Best not, they will clamp the car and then you will have another €120 odd to get it back plus storage if they have it towed away, if you think the charges are bad here you should see Shannon, they are outrageous for flying from that barn.

BTW it is DAA who set the prices because they still control the airports.

MC

Relax, this isnt anything against just cork airport
    All airports do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I think its E45 a week, surely when you factor in taxi costs, hassle and the speculation of whether the car will be wearing a yellow boot (or worse) when you get back makes it worth it?
    You're going on holiday, its supposed to cost money :)

Ashfield wrote: »
    Relax, this isnt anything against just cork airport
    All airports do the same

Don't worry I have done the same but then I was working up there at the time so knew where to park and who to speak to but they all gone now, I took my moto to Shannon for trip to Belgium for the very reason of those charges, nice to be able to just drive around the barrier with two fingers up to the DAA.

;)
    MC

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I think its E45 a week, surely when you factor in taxi costs, hassle and the speculation of whether the car will be wearing a yellow boot (or worse) when you get back makes it worth it?
    You're going on holiday, its supposed to cost money :)

You'd spend more than that on a taxi to the Airport if you meet any traffic at all TBH

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

With the C-R-A-Z-Y government cuts i'm doing all i can to to earn a few extra bob. You can park in my gaff (Douglas) and i'll drop you off/collect. 30 euro all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

wonka wrote: »
    With the C-R-A-Z-Y government cuts i'm doing all i can to to earn a few extra bob. You can park in my gaff (Douglas) and i'll drop you off/collect. 30 euro all in.

Does that price include VAT ;)

• Advertisement

Enterprise at work. Of course he's VAT registered, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Careful - parking in the Airport Business Park may not be a good idea: I've seen vehicles being towed. Even the security guards will notice if the same car is parked there night after night after night. It wouldn't surprise me if they got a bonus for turning 'em in!

And of course people who work there will notice too...

All in all, for sheer peace of mind, I wouldn't risk it.

You might end up coming back to a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I work up in the Airport Business Park a few days most weeks. Even cars in lots belonging to empty buildings are monitored. The hotel car parks and surrounding areas are the worst - they are well aware that non-residents try to park there. A contractor now seems to do the clamping at the Cork International Airport Hotel, including clamping residents who park in the car parks of adjacent buildings accidentally. Saw it again last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I also worked in the airport business park for a few years and a lot of companies maintain a list of car regs and these numbers are passed on to security. If there is a car parked that hasn't been moved in a while and it not on the list of recognised regs then it will be towed.

Anytime I wanted to leave my car in our company car park I had to inform HR who would then inform security that my car would be parked there for the weekend so really don't bother trying it, being a tightarse might turn out to be more expensive than the charges at the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Yup when I worked in the bus park I had to provide my reg so it wouldn't be clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

You must be stuck for cash!!
    Not going till August so dont hold you breath waiting for me,
    TBH ill prob just park in the airport for convenience,
    Thanks for all the replies lads

NO probs, enjoy the holiday.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

:rolleyes:Why dont you just rent a car in shannon?? drive down to cork and book one to go back up will cost ya about €50 do it anytime i go on hols its the job!!
    There you are man problem solved! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Most rental agencies charge you to drop a car off at a place different to where it was rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

castie wrote: »
    Most rental agencies charge you to drop a car off at a place different to where it was rented.

Only some companies charge a drop off fee if you ring them they will tell you

• Advertisement

Come to think of it you should be able to get a cork car in shannon and offer to drive it back home and vice versa on the return leg, saves them having to put them on the transporter.

MC

Advertisement