Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air vents & aircon - Bad smell and damp

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Since the cold weather has arrived I've been using my air conditioning in the mornings.
    1. There's a damp mildew smell coming from my cars air conditioning. How do I clear the dampness?
    2. Secondly I'm off the smokes about 3 months now, but when I open the air vents for cold or hot air there is a slight tobacco smell which can be quiet sickening. Any suggesting of how i get rid of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    Since the cold weather has arrived I've been using my air conditioning in the mornings.
    1. There's a damp mildew smell coming from my cars air conditioning. How do I clear the dampness?
    2. Secondly I'm off the smokes about 3 months now, but when I open the air vents for cold or hot air there is a slight tobacco smell which can be quiet sickening. Any suggesting of how i get rid of this?

it would help if you said what car it is! but anyway get the pollen filter changed its probably more choked up with tar than your lungs at this stage :p

oh and keep strong :D with the smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like there is bacteria built up. Maybe replacing the pollen filter will eleviate the problem?

On a side note air con should be turned on regularly as this can prevent bacteria from building up in the ventilation system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Sorry its an Audi A4 2005 1.9 petrol.

Is it easy to remove the pollen filter, could i do this myself?

How to I get the dampness out of my car, I left the window open over the weekend a few weeks ago. Is there anything I can buy that will absorb this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi you should start with changing the pollen filter(s), there could be one for each side of the car. It is like an air filter, it is usually straight forward to change, not sure about the specific Audi one. They are normally just under the windscreen accessible via engine bay.

You should also consider using an Air Con cleaning kit lie this one:

http://www.commaoil.com/product%20Pages/Maintenance/airconclean.htm

It is available from Halfords for less than €20. It is easy to do & should make a difference if done properly. Take out your pollen filter & set system to recirulatory setting while setting the can off.

The final thing you should check is the carpets, are they damp? If so there could be a leak. Check under the rear mats to see if carpet is damp. This could be causing your smell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement