Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History. How to study?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm doing history outside of a class, and I'm wondering whats the best way to do notes.

Is it better to copy the book format and do little notes uner their headings or is it better to look at questions plan out paragraphs and do notes in that format?

I'm really stuck here because I dont have the teacher's lecture notes like the rest of the class, so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fresh Breeze

Answer questions from Exam Papers.

When planning the essay, sort into "topics" and use bullet points for information.

Use the bullets points as your main points and use information from the book to "flesh" it out.

e.g.

Read your textbook, it has some serious bullcrap to flesh out.
    Waffling ftw!

5 simple facts:

Paragraph[Intro to Vietnam]
    - President Johnson
    - Increase advisers 30%
    - Domino Theory
    - US Credibility
    - military solution

becomes :

Instead of withdrawing from Vietnam, the new President Lyndon Johnson, increased the number of US advisers by thirty per cent. Not only did Johson support the Domino Theory, he believed that US credibility was at stake. He thought that if the US did not stand up for their ally - South Vietnam - nobody would trust them in future. Johnson's advisers, who also advised Kennedy before he was assassinated, believed in a military solution to the problem. Even when doubts crept in a few years later about US policy, Johnson's domineering personality discouraged them from giving an alternate view. Johnson did not want to be "the first president to lose a war"

Learn by doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Answer questions from Exam Papers.

When planning the essay, sort into "topics" and use bullet points for information.

Use the bullets points as your main points and use information from the book to "flesh" it out.

e.g.

Read your textbook, it has some serious bullcrap to flesh out.
    Waffling ftw!

5 simple facts:

Paragraph[Intro to Vietnam]
    - President Johnson
    - Increase advisers 30%
    - Domino Theory
    - US Credibility
    - military solution

becomes :

Instead of withdrawing from Vietnam, the new President Lyndon Johnson, increased the number of US advisers by thirty per cent. Not only did Johson support the Domino Theory, he believed that US credibility was at stake. He thought that if the US did not stand up for their ally - South Vietnam - nobody would trust them in future. Johnson's advisers, who also advised Kennedy before he was assassinated, believed in a military solution to the problem. Even when doubts crept in a few years later about US policy, Johnson's domineering personality discouraged them from giving an alternate view. Johnson did not want to be "the first president to lose a war"

Learn by doing!

+1

Get the gist of the background first so you have ideas in your head what you can say but the most important thing is facts FACTS FACTS

Makes notes of every fact on the topic that you can manage and dont forget statistics and quotes as this will get you the very high marks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That's similar to what I did. Make sure to do the notes clearly, I used flashcards and coloured pens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Read a certain topic in the book, pick an essay relating to it from the exam papaers and then write an essay plan. Always write 6 paragraphs at least to be sure of full marks or close to that. Do this:

1. Introduction
    2. 1st paragraph
    3. 2nd paragraph
    4. 3rd paragraph
    5. 4th paragraph
    6. 5th paragraph
    7. Conclusion

Make sure each paragraph contains a different point (which is elaborated on) which relates to the essay 'title'.

Regarding study: Make notes on each topic and do a few essays for each topic.

e.g. Irish History 1912-1921 A few sample essays you should know:

- Causes of Partition
    - Factors which lead to the rise of the second Sinn Féin Party
    - Results of the 1916 Rising
    - Causes of 1916 Rising
    - Why was there opposition to the 3rd Home Rule Bill

Just Read Read Read! (and take notes.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

yeah bit screwed for history and its disappointing after getting a A in the JC but we have an imbecile of a teacher who likes to talk about himself for the class! anyone know good revision places, i'm thinking ashfield!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

I hate to give this place anymore advertisement but im doing History grinds in the institue and amazing is the only word for the teacher who does the evening grinds in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

I hate to give this place anymore advertisement but im doing History grinds in the institue and amazing is the only word for the teacher who does the evening grinds in there!

how much leprachaun?????? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

Alot but i like them and i think(hope) ther working :) from the start of the year it cost £930(not a bother on mammys pocket! :pac: ) but since wer like and month and half in ..it'l be less for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

history is a brillant subject (if u like it)
    da essay is da main part so perfect them and then fill your answer around the structure.
    in our class we dont bother wit da books because dey are full of crap.
    you really need a teacher for this calss.

our teacher in ISK is a wannabee lecture so im sorted..lol

Advertisement