Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw 320d vs toyota celica?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Another opinion question for ya`ll! As title says which one to choose...BMW 320 diesel or Toyota celica both 2005 both 35,000 miles?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is akin to asking whether you should spend €200 on a jacket or a pair of shoes. It depends on your needs, preferences, and budget. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two totally different cars aimed at different markets, there is no comparision between the two imo.

Have you test driven both of them? Only then will you know which one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I would be in the same boat, but Audi A4 (140) v Celcia (140)

I want to A4 for the fuel economy but also for the refinement and that bit extra quality.

I want the Celcia for the looks and the drive and the fun.

But revving it to 5500rpm and then waiting to the extra kick to hit in doesnt suit my driving style.

But I have decided to go with the Audi A4 as they re same power output but driving the diesel suits me better.

Plus I am going to get it re-mapped to 170bhp.

I like the Audi A4 as well for the extra space in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

kluivert wrote: »
    I would be in the same boat, but Audi A4 (140) v Celcia (140)

I want to A4 for the fuel economy but also for the refinement and that bit extra quality.

I want the Celcia for the looks and the drive and the fun.

But revving it to 5500rpm and then waiting to the extra kick to hit in doesnt suit my driving style.

But I have decided to go with the Audi A4 as they re same power output but driving the diesel suits me better.

Plus I am going to get it re-mapped to 170bhp.

I like the Audi A4 as well for the extra space in the back.

A4 very plain compared to the Celica and also the 140 Celica doesn't have the extra kick the 190 get's after 5,800. If you're going to get a Celica try and get the T-Sport model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

meesa wrote: »
    Another opinion question for ya`ll! As title says which one to choose...BMW 320 diesel or Toyota celica both 2005 both 35,000 miles?:confused:

I assume the price is different on both? 320d Saloon or Coupe? Celica 140 or 190? Price? Budget? Wants from a car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Thanks for the replies guys, I do realise that they are both completely different except for same year and same price. The attraction of the celica is mainly appearance and reliability and the attraction of the BMW is the performance and economy from a diesel but in fairness it looks like any other family saloon.
    I realised after I posted the question that it was a bit like comparing chalk and cheese and does depend on personal choice as there is not a lot technically to separate them...both good reliable cars from respected manufacturers.
    I think I`m havin` a mid-life crisis so it`s back to the celica again!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're looking at the Celica and you can get a 05 have a look at a Celica GT.

They're the last of the run Celica's UK only special edition! and not expensive any more. Just under 16k sterling, 2006 car, less than 4k on the clock and from a Toyota dealer!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+CELICA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-144-240-4294966298-4294967150/advert.action?R=200841320429125

steve06 wrote: »
    If you're looking at the Celica and you can get a 05 have a look at a Celica GT.

They're the last of the run Celica's UK only special edition! and not expensive any more. Just under 16k sterling, 2006 car, less than 4k on the clock and from a Toyota dealer!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+CELICA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-144-240-4294966298-4294967150/advert.action?R=200841320429125

I was looking at this one Steve...only up the north too!
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/21135895
    But I think the road tax on it would be €1,000 a year...a bit off putting?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Road tax would be like all 1.8's, something like €530 after the last increase I think. It's 190bhp too, so it'd blow the Beemer into the weeds really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Looks lovely, haven't seen any GT's down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

......But I think the road tax on it would be €1,000 a year...a bit off putting?:(

oh sweet jeebus...........why are people still saying that ? Please, please, please, please puhleeeeeeeeez, read the various VRT/budget posts

IT WILL NOT COST 1K TO TAX. That only applies to 2008 and onwards cars............it is taxed on the old cc system so, Eur 590/approx.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's got to be the Celica T-Sport or that nice Celica GT if you have the extra funds.

galwaytt wrote: »
    oh sweet jeebus...........why are people still saying that ? Please, please, please, please puhleeeeeeeeez, read the various VRT/budget posts

IT WILL NOT COST 1K TO TAX. That only applies to 2008 and onwards cars............it is taxed on the old cc system so, Eur 590/approx.

Woohoo!!!! Jeez you`d think I`d know as I drive a 1.8 ...forgot the `08 cut off point.:o

Advertisement