Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanking?

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Right so we all know its a bit of a joke at the moment as everything is so stupidly easy, but i dont wanna get into bad habbits of just slapping devistate on mobs and aoe tanking full rooms worth of mobs constantly.

I understand for big aggro i should be opening with devistate and shieldslam and using it on every CD, and in high rage situations i should spam heroic strike and low rage devistate and revenge.

Gear wise i understand i need +def/SBV/parry/dodge. 394 cap or something i think, but im a small way off that that the moment.

Whats this expertise about? I see lots of contradicting formulas on tankspot and tankingtips. From what i can work out it adds to my dodge/parry and adds hit rating... That right?

Also, any other good sites with tanking info, tankingtips and tankspot seem dire and completly out dated by a long time. Im guessing EJ would be a good place to look too ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

490~ is the defence cap. 1 Strength is worth 2 SBV for Warriors I believe. Expertise, I wouldn't say its a hugely beneficial tanking stat as it just affects enemy mobs chance to dodge or parry your attacks so will only affect your ability to generate threat very slightly better since your chance to hit them is increased.

As for spell rotations, sorry i'm a Tankadin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Expertise is an excellent stat for tanking. It is almost as cheap as +hit stat, in terms of more consistent damage and therefore rage/threat. Obviously, it is lower in the list of things you need to have to be a successful tank but as you start getting into high end situations it becomes very, very important. Boss mobs parrying your attack gives, what is essentially, a melee haste buff to the boss for their next melee swing. On fights where they do alot of melee damage combined with warriors vulnerability to crushing blows when shield block was on cooldown and all charges were used, it could mean being 2 shot.

Obviously, now that crushing blows have been taken off the cards, this becomes much less of an issue.

490 defense is the cap to become crit immune and it is the first and easiest step a tank can take towards becoming a "tank". Without being crit immune you arent really a tank at all, more like a damage sponge that can be 2 shot.

Beyond that you used to need ~104.5% avoidance, between miss, dodge, parry, block in orfder to become crushing immune. This was easier for warriors since shield block gave such a massive block chance and could almost always be up. This caused warriors to lean moer towards stamina and the avoidance builds up as your hit points do because the best stamina items also have pretty decent tank stats on them.

Nowadays, nothing much has changed; this just becomes and you can focus even more on just bumping up your stamina as high as possible, once you are crit immune.

Tanking is the most fun I can have playing WoW at least for the moment and the foreseeable future, I highly recommend everyone to try it ;)

I started out tanking as my feral druid pre-tbc. Moved to prot paladin for burning crusade and dabbled with my warrior alt too. I'll still be sticking to my tankadin come wrath :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ivan wrote: »
    Expertise is an excellent stat for tanking. It is almost as cheap as +hit stat, in terms of more consistent damage and therefore rage/threat. Obviously, it is lower in the list of things you need to have to be a successful tank but as you start getting into high end situations it becomes very, very important. Boss mobs parrying your attack gives, what is essentially, a melee haste buff to the boss for their next melee swing. On fights where they do alot of melee damage combined with warriors vulnerability to crushing blows when shield block was on cooldown and all charges were used, it could mean being 2 shot.

Obviously, now that crushing blows have been taken off the cards, this becomes much less of an issue.

490 defense is the cap to become crit immune and it is the first and easiest step a tank can take towards becoming a "tank". Without being crit immune you arent really a tank at all, more like a damage sponge that can be 2 shot.

Beyond that you used to need ~104.5% avoidance, between miss, dodge, parry, block in orfder to become crushing immune. This was easier for warriors since shield block gave such a massive block chance and could almost always be up. This caused warriors to lean moer towards stamina and the avoidance builds up as your hit points do because the best stamina items also have pretty decent tank stats on them.

Nowadays, nothing much has changed; this just becomes and you can focus even more on just bumping up your stamina as high as possible, once you are crit immune.

Tanking is the most fun I can have playing WoW at least for the moment and the foreseeable future, I highly recommend everyone to try it ;)

I started out tanking as my feral druid pre-tbc. Moved to prot paladin for burning crusade and dabbled with my warrior alt too. I'll still be sticking to my tankadin come wrath :D

Cheers for that. Only have expertise on the wep http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31153 Although i think this is more a shammy item, because of the speed ?

But yeah, i thought i wouldn't enjoy tanking at all. From watching other tanks i thought it would be a pretty boring thing to do. But there is so much more then just stand there and spam a macro like my hunter, or place a few dots like my lock. shield slams, spell reflect and all the rest. Its pretty fun... Apart from the repair bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I personally am making a DK for my guild come wotlk and it will be with the aim to be some sort of tank..although may be dps

But that was an informative read and i have an urge to go home and roll a warrior

If you are still rocking blues, then dont worry about expertise.

• Advertisement

only lvl 64. Hope to hit 70 someitme on friday. Still farming the lower instances like sp/ub/mt for some blues and a shield. I made the mistake on my hunter of buy loads of greens/blues while leveling from 60-70... wont make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You need to change that weapon tbh,

2.4 seconds for a warrior tanking weapon is far too slow,

Want 1.6 ideally

Will a 1.6 wep cause more damage and threat? or just one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Well there are a lot of numbers to look at,

But it basically comes down to rage dumping,

Faster heroic strikes = better use of excess rage, more threat, more damage,

Although devastate works better if you have a slower weapon with higher top end damage,

the benefit doesn't outweigh the faster heroic strikes.

Of course most warrior tank abilitys are instant so weapons speed doesnt come into play for them.

EDIT: Oh and of course faster swings = more rage = more chances to use your abilities

Also, it means misses or parrys hurt your threat generation less.

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »

Yeah, my baby tank just hit 70 last week or so and I'm really having fun rocking the heroics. They seem to have been nerfed though :S
    not crit immune yet but almost there ^^
    Not sure if I prefer tanking or healing at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

think the rotation is shield slam, revenge, devestate, devestate.

thats the rotation pre patch not too sure what the craic is with tanking now.

heroic strike is only a rage dump for longer fights

Advertisement