Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing nipple piercing for short periods.

Options
  • 21-10-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering what the general consensus on removing nipple piercings is? I've taken up a high contact sport and I'm concerned about seriously damaging myself or others and such I'd like to remove the piercings for 2 - 3 hours at a time twice weekly. I've had them approximately 12 weeks at this stage and they appear to be healed nicely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Boston wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering what the general consensus on removing nipple piercings is? I've taken up a high contact sport and I'm concerned about seriously damaging myself or others and such I'd like to remove the piercings for 2 - 3 hours at a time twice weekly. I've had them approximately 12 weeks at this stage and they appear to be healed nicely.
    mine never stayed open for more than an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

And that was it, permanently closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

For myself they shrink down fairly quickly, in a matter of minutes.
    Just tape em so they can't be tugged or caught on anything.

Sensible option is to just remove them for good if you are really serious about the sport.

What tape would you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I used to get sports tape, but that was a bit too harsh so got a cotton pad (ones my sister uses to remove make up) and stuck it on with the sports tape.

• Advertisement

Hmm, lot to think about. I love the piercings but I also really enjoy the judo. I go looking for that tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

the pirecings will get aggrivated/ripped out in judo even with the tape tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Out of curiosity, what about airports?
    When your going through a a metal detector, do you just show you have a piercing and they let you in?

the pirecings will get aggrivated/ripped out in judo even with the tape tbh

I think you're right. Got a head butt (accidental of course) into one last night. Not fun. Theres a lad on the judo forum saying he sometimes takes his out for a week at a time, only difference is that its a little tighter.

Over on the Martial arts forum this lad says he can take his out for a week at a time. I think I might try upping the gauge and then use a smaller gauge after training.
    Krieg wrote: »
    When your going through a a metal detector, do you just show you have a piercing and they let you in?

The amount of metal isn't enough to trigger a positive detection.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Krieg wrote: »

Why would you show the piercing?

Metal in piercings does not set the metal detector off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jenizzle wrote: »
    Why would you show the piercing?

Metal in piercings does not set the metal detector off :rolleyes:

The metal in piercing is generally surgical steal which will set off a metal detector. The reason it doesn't is because a piercing has a small footprint and a properly calibrated metal detector will ignore them. If you have a lot of piercings around a particular area they could collectively trigger a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ah, cheers for the answer
    Something I was curious about for the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Tape a cotton pad over it with that 3M micropore tape. Worked wonders for me.

Advertisement