Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Like Apes

• 21-10-2008 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

.. Any other FLA fans? .. just recently been listening to their album and i went to see a gig at the weekend.. Pretty awesome band. Definatlely worth checking out!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's good, but it's definitely not the golden couric of a debut album that everyone is mouthing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got the album based on the recommendations. I really like the first half, but think it dips a bit in the second half. I'd say they're a fun band to see in concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

maybe its because i have seen them live that i like them so much. Without a doubt they were the most interactive bands i have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

GSpoon wrote: »
    maybe its because i have seen them live that i like them so much. Without a doubt they were the most interactive bands i have ever seen.

Agree. They are brilliant live and their album is pretty good nor overpriced which I thought was weird as I saw it in a record store for 11.99 the other day. Not sure if you can class Megameanie as a song though. I saw them at Castle Palozza and they were fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Love the new album. There's some really good new songs on it. Tie me up with jackets is a classic.

• Advertisement

Doozie wrote: »
    Agree. They are brilliant live and their album is pretty good nor overpriced which I thought was weird as I saw it in a record store for 11.99 the other day. Not sure if you can class Megameanie as a song though. I saw them at Castle Palozza and they were fab. If any of my friends had any kind of palette for good music I would drag them along to the gig.
    ... i have aleady bought tickets to Dec 6th gig, gona drag along three of my friends!! Not sure if it is their type of music but after seeing them live im sure they will be easily influenced:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Chaps, its an MCD gig - I'd edit posts and remove any mention of the gig if you want this thread to stick around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I LOVE FLApes, and have seen them loads, but honestly. I was real disappointed by the album cos it's so polished and sounds too tame. The gigs are magic, full of vibrancy but while the album has all the songs, I would have preferred if they put up the myspace versions instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

FLA - meh

I LOVE FLApes, and have seen them loads, but honestly. I was real disappointed by the album cos it's so polished and sounds too tame. The gigs are magic, full of vibrancy but while the album has all the songs, I would have preferred if they put up the myspace versions instead

hmmm you might have a point there. But the live gigs are what they are all about!! Saw Alice Glass from Crystal Castles a few weeks ago, thought i had seen madness on stage until i saw mk @ FLA. Sad to think they are only supporting the ting tings when FLA are so much more talented than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

yeah i love them! haven't seen them live yet, need to rectify that cos by all accounts their live shows are amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Jake Summers = all the reason I need to go see them. Loving this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Meh I could take it or leave it. Angel Pier well better Irish abnd they are the ones we should be making a fuss about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

they are ok. There oone of those bands that you neither hate nor love. Meh as magicmarker so aptly put it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've only heard Jake Somers and that is fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The first time I heard them I thought that it was refreshing to hear something different from a semi-popular band, but after hearing Jake Summers a few times and listening to the other tracks on their myspace, I realised that they're not really all that unique or interesting. I do like the vocals though.

So, I'm with the others on here who say they're "meh". They're different enough for me to respect them, but aren't interesting enough for me to get excited.

IMO Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues is their best song (on their myspace), however, Jake Summers is quite boring.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I know one of the guys in the band so technically I'm not supposed to say stuff like this, but I think they're pretty rubbish. Fair play for being a little bit different from other Irish acts but I reckon this album will be their one moment in the sun.

I just can't see them coming up with any better ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

the independant gave the album 1 star when it came out. retards.

listened to it for the first time walking home from work, a bit pjssed up, last friday, sounded amazing.

Still gets the thumbs up now ive sobered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

exactly how are they retards for having a negative opinion on something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

they've just landed a support slot with the prodigy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ I know that's mad, I used to like them but I think they're lyrics are a bit ****, and they get a bit boring after a while. they're good by irish standards though! :pac:

they've just landed a support slot with the prodigy.

WHA???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

as well as signing to sony japan

am i the only one who has completely missed the ascent of Fight Like Apes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Missed the ascent in terms of you didnt notice their rising popularity over the last 18 months or so?

I knew they were popular, i just thought it was popular along the lines of mediocre to above average irish popularity. Then i hear of support slots with the Prodigy, and record deals with major labels. Just a bit shocked is all!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

^ I know that's mad, I used to like them but I think they're lyrics are a bit ****, and they get a bit boring after a while. they're good by irish standards though! :pac:

Lyrics are a bit **** but sure hey they can't all be as good as MGMT right?

Good by Irish standards? Who are you measuring them against for the laugh?!

Must have been hiding out like Bon Iver was on ya eh?

I love them, great fun band with a little bit of substance, energy wise they somehow remind me of Hadouken! lyricaly no where near them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    IMO Lightsaber Cocksucking Blues is their best song (on their myspace), however, Jake Summers is quite boring.

That would probably be because 'lightsabre cocksucking blues' is a cover. For the infinitely superior original, check out "Mclusky Do Dallas". Under-rated and sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

lyrics? maykay's lyrics are savage!

"hey you, get some grace, your like kentucky fried chicken but without the taste"

classic! :pac:

lordgoat wrote: »
    Must have been hiding out like Bon Iver was on ya eh?

I love them, great fun band with a little bit of substance, energy wise they somehow remind me of Hadouken! lyricaly no where near them though.

I get the feeling that music these days seems to be leaving me behind. Damn college, work and sleep. Im gonna have to turn over a new leaf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

I don't really see the Hadouken! similarities, to be honest, but they are a great band.

I finally got my own copy of the album, as opposed to the copy in the radio station, so I'm chuffed!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Gotcha. :)
    I knew they were popular, i just thought it was popular along the lines of mediocre to above average irish popularity. Then i hear of support slots with the Prodigy, and record deals with major labels. Just a bit shocked is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ryaller wrote: »
    That would probably be because 'lightsabre cocksucking blues' is a cover. For the infinitely superior original, check out "Mclusky Do Dallas". Under-rated and sorely missed.
    Holy shít, these guys are class! And it appears Fight Like Apes are worse than I thought. Thank you!

DavidLive wrote: »
    I don't really see the Hadouken! similarities, to be honest, but they are a great band.

I finally got my own copy of the album, as opposed to the copy in the radio station, so I'm chuffed!

:)

I wasn't comparing them musically, more so they both give off great energy and really get the crowd going an really involved in the gig. Sadly lacking in a lot of bands at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

lordgoat wrote: »
    I wasn't comparing them musically, more so they both give off great energy and really get the crowd going an really involved in the gig. Sadly lacking in a lot of bands at the moment.
    I understand what you mean.

Yes, you're right. So many bands just don't give it back and get the crowd going.
    Both these bands do. Well Hadouken! anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

they are doing well so fair play...but they are riding the wave of kitch 80's nme revivalism....but unfortunately their tunes are'nt as good as the irish press say they are...fairly mediocre......funny video's though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I love them, I've loved them for years but I can't remember how I first got into them. I preferred the older versions of some of the songs, lend me your face in particular but the new versions are growing on me. I love tie me up with jackets and I'm beginning to think you prefer beverley hills 90210 to me (weirdest name ever btw).

I recognise that they're lyrics make very little sense though so I can see why people don't like them, just makes me like them even more though :)

I've seen them a few times live (not MCD gigs), always put on a good show, the kinda gig where you need to jump around a bit. I wish knucklehead had made it onto the album

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Good ole' Cyprus Avenue. Gig Event List = more bands I love!

I'm really pissed I missed them. Bloody school.

I love this verse:
    (ah ah ah ah)

Hey you, whats-your-face
    I've got a pocket full of fists, you've got a stupid face
    Hey you, know your place!
    You're like Kentucky fried chicken but without the taste
    Hey you, get some grace!
    You know you're driving miss daisy all over the place
    Hey you, you're taking up space!
    And you're a fucking disappointment to the human race (oh!)

As everyone knows, singing louder = singing better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

FLA - meh

Same. I don't really mind them being around but I certainly wouldn't miss them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is this really the sort of shite Ireland is producing nowadays?

I don't think I've ever heard such useless and nonsensical lyrics. The album is absolutely awful and fair play to whatever reviewer it was that gave it a one star rating, though even that was generous.

That bollox about nursery rhyme characters getting fired is absolutely ridiculous, though probably will have cult status on student nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is this really the sort of shite Ireland is producing nowadays?

I don't think I've ever heard such useless and nonsensical lyrics. The album is absolutely awful and fair play to whatever reviewer it was that gave it a one star rating, though even that was generous.

That bollox about nursery rhyme characters getting fired is absolutely ridiculous, though probably will have cult status on student nights.

too true...I'm sick of all these gimmick bands spouting crap!! gimme the rope

Gloom wrote: »

(ah ah ah ah)

Hey you, whats-your-face
    I've got a pocket full of fists, you've got a stupid face
    Hey you, know your place!
    You're like Kentucky fried chicken but without the taste
    Hey you, get some grace!
    You know you're driving miss daisy all over the place
    Hey you, you're taking up space!
    And you're a fucking disappointment to the human race (oh!)

Are these actually their lyrics? Are they in transition year in school ??

oooohhh i have a solution if you dont like the music... dont listen to it!!!!:rolleyes: simple as.

oooohhh i have a solution if you dont like the music... dont listen to it!!!!:rolleyes: simple as.

I don't listen to it...but you have to laugh at the crap lyrics.... they are only a fad and they'll be gone soon anyways..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When a thread is started in this forum about a band and gets rave reviews then people are going to listen to it to see what the hype is about.

If you want a love then go join their official fan club.

Thats a rather stupid statement in my opinion. He doesnt know if he will lie the music unless he listens, and now that he has listened, and realised, that they are in fact, quite crap, and that he wont be listening to them again. And now he is posting in a thread that you made for discussion regarding Fight Like Apes, discussing the ways in which he dislikes them as opposed to the general consensus of liking a bad within a band thread. Which, i might add, there are no rules against, as he is not trolling.

/rant. Sorry im a little cranky, but i reckon i made some valid points :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

In fairness it's fairly hard not to listen to Fight Like Apes. And yeah, they're fúcking shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Saw them last new year in the Village. Thought it was great fun so bought the CD and wasn't disappointed. Not every song is great but most of it is pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Saw them in bud rising, they're brilliant live !!! Love the new album. Missed out on the dublin gig... it's sold out. :mad: Might check into the roisin Dubh gig. New years in Galway mmmmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement